The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #16
Mccaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok I just re read the posts. Copy that.... Oh boy I get to buy a scale!
Mccaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #17
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

There are several issues, but, yes, a drier climate requires more liquid, also, as you knead the dough, you will lose some hydration as well. I prefer a soft dough, as it is easy to work, I do not do a direct rise, I prefer a cold rise, and less kneading, letting the refrigerator do some of my work for me. This allows for a little more water initially, and less loss during handling and rises. It also protects against loss to evaporation, which is a problem where you are.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #18
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There are several issues, but, yes, a drier climate requires more liquid, also, as you knead the dough, you will lose some hydration as well. I prefer a soft dough, as it is easy to work, I do not do a direct rise, I prefer a cold rise, and less kneading, letting the refrigerator do some of my work for me. This allows for a little more water initially, and less loss during handling and rises. It also protects against loss to evaporation, which is a problem where you are.
I prefer the refrigeration method as well. In retarding the fermentation, I feel that I get a much more robust flavor from the yeast. I sometimes hold it in the fridge for up to a week.

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Mccaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
I prefer the refrigeration method as well. In retarding the fermentation, I feel that I get a much more robust flavor from the yeast. I sometimes hold it in the fridge for up to a week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Great info from both of you. I do a cold rise also so I can have it ready before Friday, Pizza night. I also use a Kitchenaid mixer on #1 until the dough begins to form a ball. I am not sure if even this is over kneading....I also use Purified water from the Brita® pitcher...... saw a top rated pizza place in SD on DDD and they use Arrowhead water. The city water is undrinkable and treated with fluoride.

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #20
landarc

I do not use a mixer, I do it by hand. If I had one of those cool dough fork ones, then I would use a machine, but, that is never going to happen. I prefer to feel the dough, gives me a sense of the texture.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:59 PM   #21
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccaf View Post
Great info from both of you. I do a cold rise also so I can have it ready before Friday, Pizza night. I also use a Kitchenaid mixer on #1 until the dough begins to form a ball. I am not sure if even this is over kneading....I also use Purified water from the Brita® pitcher...... saw a top rated pizza place in SD on DDD and they use Arrowhead water. The city water is undrinkable and treated with fluoride.
Buy Peter Reinharts Book the Bread Makers Apprentice. It is the single most important book I own. Mixing the dough in a KichenAide stand mixer is ok, I use it too, ( I had a 60 qt Hobart before) but you have to watch the temperature of the dough in the bowl while mixing.

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA

Unread 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #22
landarc

I will second the Reinhart book, probably the best bread book out there.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
V-wiz
is one Smokin' Farker

I tried this tonight in the kitchen oven and noticed a big difference in the crust, it is so much softer . Thank you.

Unread 06-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #24
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-wiz View Post
I tried this tonight in the kitchen oven and noticed a big difference in the crust, it is so much softer . Thank you.
I am glad to hear that you tried it!
Jed

Member KCBS, FBA

Unread 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #25
Brother Matt
On the road to being a farker

Thanks so much for posting this, and to all the participants in the discussion. You guys are helping me out a ton. I am a no-knead sourdough kinda guy, and make bread daily. I've been really happy with my technique with that, but recently built a little 17" WFO and have been making a ton of pizza and breads in there, and have really been struggling with the crust. I thought I knew how to make a good crust, but it's been really challenging in the WFO with 3 min. cooking times. The pizza specific forums quickly get over my head, and go deeper than I really want to go. This thread and V's oven thread have been real inspirations to me. Thanks again all, I'm hoping for pron-worthy pie before too long.

Unread 06-19-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
Thanks so much for posting this, and to all the participants in the discussion. You guys are helping me out a ton. I am a no-knead sourdough kinda guy, and make bread daily. I've been really happy with my technique with that, but recently built a little 17" WFO and have been making a ton of pizza and breads in there, and have really been struggling with the crust. I thought I knew how to make a good crust, but it's been really challenging in the WFO with 3 min. cooking times. The pizza specific forums quickly get over my head, and go deeper than I really want to go. This thread and V's oven thread have been real inspirations to me. Thanks again all, I'm hoping for pron-worthy pie before too long.
Would love to see your little WFO, sounds cool!!

No Pr0n is not post worthy, I know I learn the best from my failures.

[COLOR=Red]My Build[/COLOR]:
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Matt View Post
It came to me via a PM from an interested party. The post was in response to his request. My WFO when on point heat wise, would do a pie in 90 seconds. Here is pic I took two years ago, of my "Mayday" Pizza coming out of the oven at 850 degrees. My sweet spot. Hot Hungarian Pepperoni, Hot Italian Sausage, Hot Evoo.

Good Luck! and post yer pr0n baby!

Member KCBS, FBA

Thanks from: --->
Unread 06-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #28
Brother Matt
On the road to being a farker

All right guys, I'll start a new thread and show you my ugly little contraption. Be warned, it's crazy.

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #29
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks!
WE LOVE CRAZY!

[COLOR=Red]My Build[/COLOR]:
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #30
Mccaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
It came to me via a PM from an interested party. The post was in response to his request. My WFO when on point heat wise, would do a pie in 90 seconds. Here is pic I took two years ago, of my "Mayday" Pizza coming out of the oven at 850 degrees. My sweet spot. Hot Hungarian Pepperoni, Hot Italian Sausage, Hot Evoo.

Good Luck! and post yer pr0n baby!
That, looks friggin awesome Hometruckin!