MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #1
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Finding a drum

Greetings! I'm looking to build my 2nd UDS and was hoping someone in the Missouri area might be able to point me in the direction of an unlined food-grade drum? I'll even go with the tan liner...anything (besides paying $50+) to avoid the dreaded red.

My first build was the red. It took 2 super-hot burnouts, 8 hours of sanding, and 2 days of sneezing out black crap to realize I don't ever want to do that again. I don't have access to a sandblaster, but might invest in a weed burner if that makes a big difference.

Thanks all!
DirtyDeedz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

I buy new unlined heavy duty, three ribbed barrels to make mine.If you can only spend $50.00, I can't help. But if you want to spend more message me. Beats sanding and burning and I know what's been in them. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Consolidated Container in Kansas City MO right next door to Kemper Arena. Ask for Jim. Used, reconditioned unlined drums run about $25. Ask for Jim Noeth. Super nice guy and loves selling drums to BBQ folks!

2300 State Line Rd
Kansas City, KS
(913) 281-0477
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

Great advice about Consolidated. Just remember they are re- cons. meaning it's not known what was in them. Blasted and pretty decent lids. Used to use them too. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks, all! If I go the consolidated route, I'll be sure to do a good couple burnouts to be sure.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Tsevg9
On the road to being a farker

Can't help you with the "unlined" part. I just bought a few red lined barrels that were used by the Schlafley Brewery in St. Louis for transporting Amber. I am in the same boat as you now, I HATE the red liner. I'm really hoping that I can find a steal on a stainless steel barrel... I can dream right?

Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
DirtyDeedz
Knows what a fatty is.

Dare to dream, Tsevg9! :) you'll find it, just takes patience, right?

Too bad that Schlafly barrel was lined. A beer seasoned barrel would be so awesome! :) At least your barrel has a great back story.