The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default DryBag Steak Aging in Process

Howdy!

Been a while since I posted anything 'round here...

This past week I enveloped a 5.8lb ribeye in a small drybag steak bag for a 2 week journey of flavor concentration.

Here's how it started

Since I have a regular FoodSaver vacu-sucker, I got the kit that included their "Vac Mouse" so that it would work with this type of bag. It's a strip that looks like an extra thick dryer sheet that's been doubled over, basically it gives the air in the bag a way out once the lid is closed on the bag.

They recommend running a 2nd seal across it just to be safe.

Before weight: 5.81

I put it in the bag on Feb 27th, and weighed it yesterday, after 5 days in the bag the weight is down to 5.39lbs... Kinda wondering if it is going to loose too much water since it's a smaller roast... I guess we'll see!

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #2
bmonkman
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0

I have been considering doing this. I'm looking forward to seeing how things turn out for you and how the meat tastes after you grill it.

Brian
Ex-pat Canadian

[B][COLOR=Red]When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???[/COLOR][/B]
bmonkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:33 AM   #3
TBASS
On the road to being a farker

Keep us posted on how it turns out. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the process.
TBASS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #4
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sweet man, where did you get the bag?

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I'm very interested in seeing how this goes - I've dry aged a few roasts, but not in a bag. Looking forward to seeing what happens!
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
aawa
Babbling Farker

I recently did a 30 day age on a 12lb NY subprimal cut. The end product was pretty dang tasty. I cooked 2 up for dinner a couple of days after I had trimmed it up and my gf commented about how the the steak tasted more intense (she didn't realize that I had cooked up the dry aged steaks) Afterward I told her that I had trimmed up the big hunk of meat I was dry aging.

For the ease of use and the end results, I was happy with the way the umai dry age bags work.

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerlickin' View Post
Sweet man, where did you get the bag?

I got the combo packet, $23 isn't too bad for the peace of mind that the bag brings IMO - less chances of ruining an expensive cut and whatnot...

http://www.drybagsteak.com/shop-dryb...k-in-house.php

I'll be doing this whole peice as a roast but once I see how this turns out I'll prolly get a whole ribeye primal, age it and then cut steaks off and vac-suck them for individual meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
For the ease of use and the end results, I was happy with the way the umai dry age bags work.
How much did you end up trimming off and loosing? I honestly don't expect the same exact results that traditional dry aging gives, but I was kind of wondering if you have less trim loss than traditional...

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
PitRow
Full Fledged Farker

Interesting, looking forward to seeing the results. I've been tempted to try it before, but always chicken out.
PitRow is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
How much did you end up trimming off and loosing? I honestly don't expect the same exact results that traditional dry aging gives, but I was kind of wondering if you have less trim loss than traditional...
I didn't weigh how much I had to trim off or weigh the end product. I would guess i trimmed off about 1/8 or 1/16 in to remove the rind.

Unread 03-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

I've wanted to try the Dy Bags since I first read about them, but haven't. Maybe this will be the catalyst.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 02:42 PM   #11
pbj
Full Fledged Farker

Where does the weight go? With a sealed bag the weight of the contents should remain the same. (or is it just me?)

Chargriller Pro w/SFB 3 generic digital thermometers
Maverick 732
UDS
pbj is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbj View Post
Where does the weight go? With a sealed bag the weight of the contents should remain the same. (or is it just me?)
If you look at the way the bags work. It forms a "bond" with the meat. The bag is pourous and allows moisture to evaporate but doesn't allow anything else in. The water evaporates out thus the weight goes away.

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

It's a specially designed bag that allows moisture to breath out but keeps about and bacteria out

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Gaaaahh! Deguerre'd in my in thread!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Unread 03-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Gaaaahh! Deguerre'd in my in thread!