ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
Bgcoop8784
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 150 Gallon Propane tank build

Started on my smoker Thursday night, and here's where I'm at so far in the build. Hopefully have her smoking this weekend. I know most reverse flow's have a plate in the bottom but I wanted to try something different, If it doesn't work out I'll just cut the pipe and add the plate in. Still need to mount the exhaust, weld up a couple holes and start on the trailer. She ain't pretty but that's ok with me. and yes I know my shop is a mess

Tank cut in half

Box welded up

Box completed...let my wife do some of the final welding

Inner frame welded in with a good seal

Hinges made and welded on

Box welded on

Pipe welded in for reverse flow

Cooking grate and handle welded up

Grate for the wood, still might build a charcoal basket

Another pic of the cooking grate

One more pic of the whole thing
Bgcoop8784 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
pmad
Full Fledged Farker

Excellent work
pmad is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM   #3
davefan360
Take a breath!

looks good, different design. what about the gap at the end of the tank? why did you cut it all the way like that, and not just cut a door? seams like it will be a heavy lid and loss some cooking space? hope it works well for you. and that is cool your wife helps you with your builds.

Unread 06-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Bgcoop8784

I like having more space when I'm putting stuff in and out of the smoker, not really that much of a loss of space, most of the one's I've seen with doors don't use the curved space anyway. The lid is heavy, but I'll add a counter-weight. For right now the gap at the end will stay there, I'm going to add a couple pieces of plate to block off the big holes at the end so no heat/smoke escapes. She's had a blast helping me out with this one.

Unread 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #5
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Awesome build! Little bit of a diff design but i see no reason why it wont work. I would get those ends sealed up or you may have some temp control issues

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Bgcoop8784

Default new pics

Ok, got some more pics, not quite finished but should be able to have her done and painted tomorrow after work. fired her up today with just some cardboard to see how she held smoke and everything looks great so far, we'll see how she does after I get her painted and start to season her in, and I know it looks weird with the gaps on the ends, but they are sealed internally and loses no smoke/heat through them.

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Bgcoop8784

Default First run

Ok...I know she's ugly, and not what like how most people build them, but it went from start to finish in less than a week and that was after work...here she is, I wouldn't say 100% complete, but she's done for now. I had only 4 10lb pork butts on it with enough room for about 12-14 more easily. She ran from 4:00 pm till 6:00 am on 28lbs of lump charcoal and about 10 pieces of split oak and apple wood. I never had to adjust anything on the smoker other than adjusting the intakes when I first started her up, in fact, the only time I even touched it was to throw a piece of oak/apple in the fire box and to spray the pork down with some apple juice/ cider vinegar every couple hours. Extremely happy with how it ran for the first time. The only time the temp dropped below 230F was the one time I had to add more charcoal, and it only took about 15 mins for the heat to recover, I will say I went through a whole bag of cowboy charcoal thursday night just trying to figure out where to set the intakes to keep the temp steady, but after that I couldn't believe how well she ran........and here's pics

Unread 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #8
Corky
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good! Enjoy it!

Speaking of enjoyment - any more pics of the wife?
Blue Weber Performer
Blue Thermapen (Fastest in the West!)
Corky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #9
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great! Glad too hear its working well for you.

Unread 06-16-2013, 12:24 AM   #10
Richard_
Full Fledged Farker

looks nice
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
UDS x 2
Char-Broil off-set smoker
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
dwfisk
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Looks like it's gonna cook great. I see the counter weight; looks like the frame for it extends about 24" - how much weight did you add to balance the lid? One observation, if you have the lid balanced, you might want to add some latches to keep it down when trailering.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 1

Nice idea running that pipe along the bottom instead of a griddle with smoke chamber below it. Do you have a drain on the bottom for grease? Let us know how she cooks, the smoker not the wife ;-)
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
jimdogyoung
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

very cool design. where did you get the idea to run the pipe from the box? looks as though you are guaranteed to have plenty of smoke cover the meat.
jimdogyoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
J-Rod
is One Chatty Farker

Interesting build. Curious about excessive heat loss when opening the lid though, since it's a clam shell design it might let a lot more out than just having a door. Like the "smoke pipe" idea, and firebox looks nice and heavy. Let's see some cooking!!!

Unread 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
kylefisk
Got Wood.

cool design for a revers flow. How does it hold heat across the two ends. Ours actually ended up hotter on the opposite side from the fire box. Do you have something on the inner circumference of your cut door to seal it up...it looks like there is a gap after adding the hinge but I don't see excess smoke coming out.