• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Copper River Salmon

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Aye went frog giggin today and ended up with a dern salmon that swam from Alaska's Copper River into the fish department of my nearby Costco. Talk about a wayward traveler.

After checkin with my faithful Brethren, Aye seasoned a tail piece of the Salmon with a wee bit of Plowboys Yardbird Seasoning. Then flung that baby on the magical Kamado. The temp was 200+/- and smoked it with Alder Wood.

Thin blue smoke at 200 degrees

45 minutes later the IT was 137 and aye pulled it and wrapped it in aluminium and got on about my business of finishing the sides. The filet was awesome and the fat and oil had bloomed like a flower.

Roasted some corn for a Yuca, Green Pepper, Garlic, and Red Pepper Flake Hash to accompany me lonely fish on the plate befer the slide down me esophagus to join the grog in my belly. Shine Veggy Shine!

Aye topped the Salmon with Mostarda Mantovana di Pere, Aka Pear Mustard. This stuff is the BOMB! Sweet and Spicy Mustard Sauce. And finished it off on the grill to caramelize.

Plated with the Shiny Vegetables.

The unfork shot

Thank you and Aye shall return!
Jed

Hell yes. A lot is made of Copper River salmon, and the hype is well earned. Last year I bought identical sized salmon fillets, one copper river, one regular troll caught. The Copper River was better, richer and less "fishy" than the regular troll caught.

Hell yes. A lot is made of Copper River salmon, and the hype is well earned. Last year I bought identical sized salmon fillets, one copper river, one regular troll caught. The Copper River was better, richer and less "fishy" than the regular troll caught.
They are good eats for sure.
Thanks Dave

It was explained to me that Copper River salmon eat shrimp which gives them their great color and taste. :becky:

Great food and great idea that mostarda mantovana di pere with salmon!

Looks pretty tasty! I don't have a Kamodo so I don't know if it is possible but if you can build a smaller fire and keep the temp down around 150 or lower this will cut down on the amount of albumin (egg white looking stuff) which will in turn make a more tender and juicer final product. In addition, if you can brine the salmon before hand and allow it to sit out on an elevated rack with a breeze or fan on it to develop a pellicle (shiny skin) prior to grilling it will also cut down on the amount of albumin coming out giving you an even moister finished product.

I'm sure it tasted pretty darn good but I have smoked a ton of Salmon and through trial and error have gotten pretty good at it.

Looks pretty tasty! I don't have a Kamodo so I don't know if it is possible but if you can build a smaller fire and keep the temp down around 150 or lower this will cut down on the amount of albumin (egg white looking stuff) which will in turn make a more tender and juicer final product. In addition, if you can brine the salmon before hand and allow it to sit out on an elevated rack with a breeze or fan on it to develop a pellicle (shiny skin) prior to grilling it will also cut down on the amount of albumin coming out giving you an even moister finished product.

I'm sure it tasted pretty darn good but I have smoked a ton of Salmon and through trial and error have gotten pretty good at it.
Thank You BL for the input. I started out with a coffee can of Alder wood chips and a soldering iron. The iron wasn't hot enough to start the chips to smoke. So I the hit the chips with my MAP gas torch and got them ignited and added some saw dust. I had to abandon the trial and ended up using 1/2 a chimney of lump on top of some left over lump in the bottom of the Kamado. Itried to keep the temp down and added the Alder Chips only about ten slivers. It tasted awesome and I have a feeling that the Copper Creek is a much fattier salmon that farm raised product. Thanks again!
Jed

Back