The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sword Fish?'s

Publix has frozen sword fish filets but there is a big piece and a little piece in the bag which doesn't make for easy grilling or a good presentation (I'll be cooking for four.) So my thinking went to sword fish shish kabobs. I've done chicken kabobs before with good results but never fish. I need recipe ideas and grilling tips please. Also, are we all ok with frozen filets or do I have to mortgage the house and make the trip to Whole Foods and look for fresh?
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Kabobs sounds like a bet. Frozen is sometimes better due to the fact that many long liners that fish for swordfish have blast chillers aboard and they are gutted and frozen while at sea. They are really good, I am fortunate that we have them right here just offshore so frozen is not a common thing for me.
Jed

"Tushka" The Black Warrior 24 x 50 offset by TuscaloosaQ, "Libby the Lion" L5000 gasser, and "Vanessa" my Vision Kamado Pro III & "Ruprecht" my Weber Gold OTG
Member KCBS, FBA
Pitmaster at "Sultans of Sting" BBQ Team it's a French thing!
http://www.charredapron.com
CharredApron is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Flat_Rate
On the road to being a farker

I always start with a simple olive oil based marinade and then toss the fillets on the grill. Sword fish is a easy fish to grill, the meat is very firm and won't fall apart. I usually do 5 minutes on one side then flip and 3 minutes on that side. Serve the 5 minute side up with a side of Redneck Caviar and a salad.

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

I have never done kebabs but I have done steaks marinated in Italian dressing and a little cajun all purpose. Room temp for about 30 min. Grill on high. For kebabs it probably won't take more than 4 to 5 min per side.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hometruckin View Post
Kabobs sounds like a bet. Frozen is sometimes better due to the fact that many long liners that fish for swordfish have blast chillers aboard and they are gutted and frozen while at sea. They are really good, I am fortunate that we have them right here just offshore so frozen is not a common thing for me.
Jed
Absolutely agree frozen is OK, maybe better, especially for deep water pelagics with 2 exceptions: you caught it yourself (like the ones I hope we get in the Keys next week); or, you know who/when/where it was caught! Kabobs sound great.
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote