oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Default St. Louis cut vs Baby Back

Cooking in the KCBS do you think one style of rib is preferred over the other.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I only cook BBs at home but have been told STL is best in comps. I will be practicing on STL this Friday.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We've cooked both, and won with both. I think it matters more whether you've got them done perfectly.

700 Club, Grand Champion Sam's Regional Las Vegas 2015 -- 702.8576
180 Brisket -- Sam's Club, Salt Lake City, UT 2014
180 Chicken -- The Great Vegas Gridiron Grill-Off, Las Vegas, NV 2014
180 Chicken -- Sam's Club National, Bentonville, AR 2013

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-04-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

SUPER question. Be careful, I also think some of it is regional.

That said, 'round here, from what I understand that KCBS 9 of 10 entries are spares, and of those 9, 8 are St Louis spares... However, personally, I've always submitted BB's in my KCBS cooks and done well with them (when I didn't fubar the cook)...

Also, 'round here, GBA we've started to see more spares, but it's still probably only 3 or 4 of 10. MBN, still 2 of 10 maybe are spares. BB's rule generally in these two...

Just hit the sanctioning bodies definition; you'll want that perfectly tender bite-through rib for KCBS....
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

What's up Hance. We met in plains last year. Glad you said that I have been doing well in the GBA except in ribs. Finally got 4th in ribs at smoke on the lake a few weeks ago but I have been turning in St. Louis cut.
Trey.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Done both and won with both but have finally given up the BB's and I'm doing spares the rest of the year. While I think my BB's are better than my spares, it's my opinion that most judges expect spares. If they get BB's, I feel the subconsciously score them different. Meaning there is less room for error when turning in BB's.

Just my worthless opinion.
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Took first place this year with both in the same state. It has to do with luck and perfectly cooked. Some judges like to see what they dont expect, whatever that might be and some dont. Just cook a perfect rib and more than not you will be rewarded.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

That's the way I feel Pappy.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butt Rubb'n BBQ View Post
What's up Hance. We met in plains last year. Glad you said that I have been doing well in the GBA except in ribs. Finally got 4th in ribs at smoke on the lake a few weeks ago but I have been turning in St. Louis cut.
Trey.
Yes, we did, and I see you lived through it (the heat was almost un-earthly)!!!

The judges in GBA aren't so partial to BB's vs. spares, but it has more to do with the definition of "pull cleanly from the bone with only slight resistance". That definition, IMHO, lends itself better to BB's where KCBS' "bite through" rib probably lends itself better to a spare.

I had the perfect KCBS rib come through GBA a while back; and I wrote a comment card for them on it. I hope it helped. It made a beautiful bite and was tender and moist, but it wouldn't pull from the bone no matter what... The score didnt warrant a comment card, but if that spare had been able to pull cleanly from the bone it possibly would've made finals; it was a good rib...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #10
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

10 4.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Lake Dogs

BTW, you did awesome in Plains. Between the heat (and for guys that dont understand, the humidity was way over 90% and the temperature at night cooled down to the low 90's), and in the heat of the day was what, 107? Love to say "but it's a dry heat"; it wasnt. I had a 1.5 hour ride home on the bike and had to take 3 stops to hydrate; looked like I'd pee'd myself; I had sweat that much.

If I recall, you were in that all by your lonesome (some friendly neighbors though), and that was your first GBA contest, wasn't it?

AWESOME!

Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #12
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

Yes and have done well since. Will be in Newnan in July. Huge prize money biggest in GBA history.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #13
Sawdustguy

Perfectly cooked meat wins contests. If they are cooked to perfection I don't think it matters.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Uomograsso
On the road to being a farker

Speaking from a judges perspective. I don't mind either one as long as it is cooked well.
Uomograsso is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Big Country BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

from experience BB are good BUT if you doint cut the strap out on the top of the BB you will have a string of dry meat with bad texture. We always use SLS (st.louis style for all you yuppies :D) so id always go with SLS!
ROLL TIDE ROLL!
Big Country BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote