The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 06-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #1
kwas68
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Portable Kitchen Cabinets/Drawers

What do you guys use as your portable kitchen cabinet/drawers?

Iíve done a few comps and realized that using tubs wasnít a convenient option. I bought a rolling plastic cart (Walmart grade) and it fell apart before I ever had the chance to use it. I donít have a camper and am looking for something that can be used on a table top or free standing. Gotta be something that can withstand transportation in the bed of a pickup.

Any suggestions?

Unread 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Samsclub rolling table. Box in both ends and one side. Get drawer type plastic bins. Use bungees to hold in place while traveling and tarp it for rain. Can easily be lifted in and out of pickup bed. Also gives you a 4 foot stainless work surface.

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #3
sdbbq1234
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford View Post
Samsclub rolling table. Box in both ends and one side. Get drawer type plastic bins. Use bungees to hold in place while traveling and tarp it for rain. Can easily be lifted in and out of pickup bed. Also gives you a 4 foot stainless work surface.
Thanks. Would you have a link for that?

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #4
Eggspert
Full Fledged Farker

We just bought two of these carts from rubbermaid.

We LOVE them. We didn't pay that price, we lucked out and got them on clearance at a big box store for $90 per cart. It is so nice to have everything organized, plus on wheels for moving around instead of lugging heavy totes around.

Eggspert
Eggspert is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I use one of these and one of these

I really like them, only complaint is the drawers on the larger one don't lock like the ones on the smaller one.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
sdbbq1234
is one Smokin' Farker

Man! You guys don't mess around!

I am in the same situation as kwas68; bought sme cheap schit, and well, I got what I paid for.

But you guys are at a whole different level. Good for you guys. I'll get there one of these days............. I hope.

wallace
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbbq1234 View Post
Man! You guys don't mess around!

I am in the same situation as kwas68; bought sme cheap schit, and well, I got what I paid for.

But you guys are at a whole different level. Good for you guys. I'll get there one of these days............. I hope.

wallace
LOL

I got these over time as I had to replace the cheaper ones through the years.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal

Thanks from:--->
Unread 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post

I’ve done a few comps and realized that using tubs wasn’t a convenient option. I bought a rolling plastic cart (Walmart grade) and it fell apart before I ever had the chance to use it. I don’t have a camper and am looking for something that can be used on a table top or free standing. Gotta be something that can withstand transportation in the bed of a pickup.

Any suggestions?
This rolling work bench works great for us . There are plenty of drawers and storage and also works as a prep table . They sell this at Sams Club for $400
rolling work bench.jpg

Unread 06-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #9
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

I found some Sterilite 4 drawer cabinets like these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-...abinet/8206252

The ones I have are mounted side x side on the nose end of my 6x10 enclosed trailer and they each have two shelves that are removable and will accomadate 4 totes with room to spare. Very lightweight and actually pretty sturdy.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Search for my other posts on here to see my rolling wire shelves with resin drawers. Tough as nails, going on close to 40 contests with them now, including a wind burst that flipped the tent and the shelving unit over. Had to replace parts on the tent, no damage to the shelves or the contents. Couple of other teams are using the same design now.
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwas68 View Post

Iíve done a few comps and realized that using tubs wasnít a convenient option. I bought a rolling plastic cart (Walmart grade) and it fell apart before I ever had the chance to use it. I donít have a camper and am looking for something that can be used on a table top or free standing. Gotta be something that can withstand transportation in the bed of a pickup.

Any suggestions?
I wish I had better pics of my comp setup to show, but I also use a plastic shelf similar to this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Enviro-Ele...Black/20467885

and I have some plastic drawers that fit on the shelves. I only use 3 of the shelves, so its table height, store 2 totes w/lids on the bottom, lay down some anti-slip mats and the drawers don't slide around on the top and center shelves. it all breaks down for traveling and sets up in a few minutes. I have a nylon rollup organizer with a bunch of mesh pockets that I hang on the canopy to keep small items close at hand. I've seen folks using these as well: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Household-...ndingMethod=rr
Set my prep table up and get my game on.

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #12
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Good lord I just put my stuff on a table.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #13
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We used Sterlite plastic 3 drawer cabinets when we were cooking out of a tent and EZups. I keep a lot of my stuff in a Stanley FatMax rolling tool chest like this one now
http://www.hsn.com/products/stanley-4-in-1-fatmax-mobile-work-station/5381706?sz=6704&sf=HO0232&ac=INCHO0232&cm_mmc=Shop ping%20Engine-_-PLA-_-Home-_-5381706&channel=Froogle&mr:referralID=50f7c320-cdec-11e2-9dea-001b2166becc

It fits in a truck or van, has lots of space, and is reasonably water resistant.

The sterlite cabs were repurposed in the camper
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
nthole
Babbling Farker

We used to use this:

But you have to put it up every time. Kind of a pain in the butt.

Now we use this.

We can easily lift it into a truck or trailer. It's a bit smaller than the Sams one, but with the two cambros we also bring along we have more than enough space for everything in the two.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #15
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post

We can easily lift it into a truck or trailer. It's a bit smaller than the Sams one, but with the two cambros we also bring along we have more than enough space for everything in the two.
Do the drawers and cabinet lock shut on that?