MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #1
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Default chicken breasts

i have a banquet of 100 for this saturday,i will be doing smoked chicken breast w/a butter garlic sauce,does anybody have any pointers on how to keep the chicken moist while having to travel and reheat them with chaffin dishes once i get there.

thanks
Resesgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
jlester710
Got Wood.

you would need to clarify a few things first.

1) How far in advance are you cooking the birds? Typically I try to have the chix finished just before I have to leave for the event to prevent them from drying out and having to quickly get them back up to temp...

2) How long will it take for you to get to the event?

3) How are you transporting the food? If using a Cambro pan carrier, the temp will hold for up to 4 hours (as long as you prep the carrier first). Also plastic wrap over the pan followed by foil will keep the heat in therefor "steaming" it, only issue is if they are wrapped like that for too long you will risk too much condensation in the pan.

4) Are you saucing before you leave or at the event?
jlester710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:15 AM   #3
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

i will be cooking it right before i leave so the breast should get done about 4p,i will have about a 20 min drive to the banquet hall where i could possibly keep in the oven on warm.i am transporting just in aluminum pans,i plan to sauce at event
Old 05-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
Sauce Dog
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Wes

At the very least you can put the pans in insulated coolers, even if you have to put them in half pans to fit. All it takes is a little traffic, and then you risk cooling with just exposed pans. There are often cheap cambro hot boxes on craigs.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #5
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

We have transported bird at this distance.
Take them off the smoker, place in foil pans right away, cover the foil pan with a foil pan cover. Place in a insulated cooler, stack pans if possible, cover up with towels, and they will stay hot for your serving for a couple hours.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
toadhunter911
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
Take them off the smoker, place in foil pans right away, cover the foil pan with a foil pan cover. Place in a insulated cooler, stack pans if possible, cover up with towels, and they will stay hot for your serving for a couple hours.
This is how I would do it...
Old 05-24-2013, 06:16 AM   #7
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, i'll be the party pooper, in pa what your saying requires a catering license, and a certified kitchen.
Anyway...
I think people covered the transport, but chafing dishes are not for reheating. they keep food warm.

Hope your event goes well.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddahavit View Post
Ok, i'll be the party pooper, in pa what your saying requires a catering license, and a certified kitchen.
Anyway...
I think people covered the transport, but chafing dishes are not for reheating. they keep food warm.

Hope your event goes well.
DID U ASSUME I DONT HAVE ONE???
Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
Resesgrill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynfulsmokersbbq View Post
thanks for the advice this worked just fine!