The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default brisket help

Alright brethren i'm scratching my head over this one. I'm used to smoking regular old packers from the grocery store and they come out juicy and tender. I've only done one comp but my brisket score was good for 4th place. I did a practice cook this weekend using a creekstone prime brisket and it was horrible. It was dry. The point was juicy but the flat was unusable. I put it back in for a bit til 195 and let it rest probe slid in with a little resistance felt. what went wrong here. I wrapped in butcher paper about 170. The only thing I did different use butchers unmentionables 12 hours before the cook.

Unread 05-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
Hot Wachulas
Knows what a fatty is.

Could be several things. The one thing I have noticed with Creekstones is that I need to go a little heavier on my rub than on a choice packer or even a waygu. Also, 195 is the temp I start checking for doneness. Usually not done until close to 205. Check it with a toothpick not a probe. For some reason I have noticed they will start to firm back up after it hits 195. Just wait it out and check it every 5-10 min. The toothpick will slide in with ease. Vent for 5-10 min and put in the cambro. Also, I inject about 4hrs before it goes on.
Hot Wachulas is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-28-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

The brisket did have good flavor. The slices just pulled like rubber bands so I put it back in and when I checked it the second time the slices would pull apart but they were dry. In fact every brisket I have done had juices pooled on the bottom except for this one. No juices what so ever. I just wanted to step up my game with prime brisket but so fat the results haven't been good. Now with the tooth pick method do you go straight up and down or against the grain?

Unread 05-28-2013, 09:45 PM   #4
Invicta Q
Got Wood.

Just leave the creekstone alone and stick to what gets you what you are looking for. I feel that if you can win 1st place with a basic brisket against wago's and so called superior brisket. Well ant that what BBQ is all about? Taking the cheapest cuts?
I took 1st place twice last year with the poorest brisket you can get, against team's that source their cuts and pay a lot of money for them. When they called my team out, do you think I was pleased? You bloody right I was.
Invicta Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
Butcher BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

You wrapped way to late in the cooking cycle. Try wrapping with an internal temp of 145.

"Trust Your Butcher"
Often Imitated, but never Duplicated
Butcher BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #6
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta Q View Post
Just leave the creekstone alone and stick to what gets you what you are looking for. I feel that if you can win 1st place with a basic brisket against wago's and so called superior brisket. Well ant that what BBQ is all about? Taking the cheapest cuts?
I took 1st place twice last year with the poorest brisket you can get, against team's that source their cuts and pay a lot of money for them. When they called my team out, do you think I was pleased? You bloody right I was.
+1 i tried the primes and waygooooos and never had any luck. they were either tough or fall apart. went back to my CAB choice Nationals and perfected cooking with them. doin really well in comps. $2.99/lb and i get to hand pick through up to 20 cases every wednesday if i like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher BBQ View Post
You wrapped way to late in the cooking cycle. Try wrapping with an internal temp of 145.
good lord! guess people up there like pot roast?
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Thanks for the tip butcher. By the way I thought your injection mix did produce a nice flavor. I normally wrap my packers in the 160 to 170 area but i'll back that down and see how it goes. How about the injection time. Was 12 hrs too long?

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
McEvoy AZ
On the road to being a farker

I have the problem with my brisket coming out dry after resting 3 to 4 hours. I think it could be from not holding properly or not getting quality briskets. Next time I am going to hold my brisket just in a towel for some time before placing in my cooler and I have selected already a good looking CAB. Very interested now if I have not wrapped to late. Why would wrapping earlier do anything other then speed up the cooking process? Is it that it keeps the juices that a brisket might be loosing earlier on in the cook?
McEvoy AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #9
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

I know what you are saying invicta. I was just trying to get a leg up.

Unread 05-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #10
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

I have noticed that with CreekStone. I did a comp last month with one CreekStone and one Walmart choice packer. The Walmart one got turned in and I will never order from Them again.

Unread 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

There is no "brand" that will make you a winner. It being able to hand pick the perfect piece of meat. What went wrong with your cook is you got a ****ty brisket. I cook wagyu and hand pick them all. If you are ordering cases or from online sources who are sending you whatever they want you will never get a consistent brisket. Last weekend I tried a creek stone, was a great brisket, I f'ed it up.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-29-2013, 10:12 AM   #12
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

I hand picked 3 creekstones and all 3 looked pretty dang good. I have two more chances. There is the possibility that I did the same thing as you jacked. What happened with yours?

Unread 05-29-2013, 10:31 AM   #13
Candy Sue
Take a breath!

I've never cooked a Creekstone. It's been my experience with Angus beef that it has a dry mouth feel (whether it's juicy or not, more of a texture thing).

Do you not find that the butcher paper doesn't hold moisture well? I've tried it (once) and lost the juice and I love some good brisket juice!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

I cooked a Creekstone Prime about 2 cook offs ago and a choice from Wally World. I ended up turning in the choice brisket and got 2nd place. It was just jucier and more tender. I'm not knocking Creekstone might have just been that brisket.

Unread 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM   #15
PapaBearsHickoryPit
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I've never cooked a Creekstone. It's been my experience with Angus beef that it has a dry mouth feel (whether it's juicy or not, more of a texture thing).

Do you not find that the butcher paper doesn't hold moisture well? I've tried it (once) and lost the juice and I love some good brisket juice!
I use butcher paper for most things. Maybe brisket shouldn't be one of them, lol! The paper does absorb a lot of moisture so there isn't much juice. Maybe back to foil for me.