ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-27-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Champion/Tractor supply generators?

See they are on sale, $299.00 for a small 3500 watt. Only need it to run a night lamp during prep and a small portable ac unit to sleep more comfy at night. Curious if anyone has used one at comps for any length of time and their reliability? Tnx
QTEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

They are loud like any other cheap gennie. You may get some complaints from your neighbors about the quiet time rule.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Finally got my dream cooker, Runaround Sue.

Team Whosoever Q

If a man looks lustfully at eggs and bacon, he has already committed breakfast in his heart.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by txschutte View Post
They are loud like any other cheap gennie. You may get some complaints from your neighbors about the quiet time rule.
+1
Yessir you can make all the noise you want during the day but at night if there is aloud generator surging and sounding like its running straight piped like a cummins there is gonna be problems. It's just a respect thing, and if that don't work, the. We get the promoter involved. Get a Honda iU-1000 and be done with it. You can have a conversation right next to it.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Wonder if someone sells a quiet muffler? I know Hondas are the best and the quietest but also expensive in comparison, just seems like a high investment for what I need it to do.

Unread 05-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
Smokin J's
Got Wood.

Hondas are well worth the extra investment! Very quiet and they last forever!

Unread 05-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Pappy Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I have one and while it's a good generator for the money, it's too loud for me to use at night during a comp.
Pappy Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTEX View Post
Wonder if someone sells a quiet muffler? I know Hondas are the best and the quietest but also expensive in comparison, just seems like a high investment for what I need it to do.
I exactly what you mean. I really want a Honda for my camper, but I can't afford one. And, I have not found ANY generators out there that can match the quiet of a Honda.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Agree the Hondas are so quiet.

Unread 05-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
bigdogphin
Take a breath!

FYI... Loud generators are very annoying and inconsiderate to those competing around you. Depending on your power need get a couple batteries and an inverter....

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500

Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-27-2013, 09:08 PM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Champion now has a low noise inverter (honda clone).
Bought two of them a year ago @ $550 a piece shipped... capable to be tied in parallel as well.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
Champion now has a low noise inverter (honda clone).
Bought two of them a year ago @ $550 a piece shipped... capable to be tied in parallel as well.

Amazon.com: Champion Power Equipment 73531i 2000 Watt Portable Gas Inverter Generator: Patio, Lawn & Garden
I have had one of these for a couple of years now. I have had people actually comment on how quiet it is. You won't notice it at all during the day and at night while you can hear it, it won't keep you up or annoy the neighbors.

I forget what I paid but I'm pretty sure it was under $500 @ Sam's Club. The carb has a tendency to get clogged easily if you run regular gas. I started using premium with a little fuel treatment, should help,with that.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #12
bignburlyman
Take a breath!

Is it possible to build some kind of sound dampening enclosure to put around the noisier generators? Something as simple as a large cardboard box with foam glued to the inside that would direct the sound up instead of out? I know you would have to have enough room for air to circulate to cool and vent exhaust but I always wondered if it would make a difference in the sound levels around.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

I'm just wondering about a better quieter aftermarket muffler, have bought them for my dirt bikes and they make them for cars. Will add that I do agree totally on the loud generator being a huge annoying thing, have parked next to one plenty of times and hated it so I dont want to be that guy. Just didnt want to fork out the cash for something not used that much, will look into the above mentioned one and the least expensive honda too, like I said I only need it for one night light and a portable ac unit. I have already tried the inverter and deep cycle battery route, not good enough.
Thanks for the replys all.

Unread 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
QTEX
Full Fledged Farker

Just came from Sams where they have the BlackMax 3000 watt with a Honda GC 190 engine for only $399.00. Anybody have feedback on that one?

Unread 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTEX View Post
Just came from Sams where they have the BlackMax 3000 watt with a Honda GC 190 engine for only $399.00. Anybody have feedback on that one?
I may be mistaken but I do not think that is a quiet generator either.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote