The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
urville
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default About the rest in the cooler

So, I've always fast cooked butts. Their ok, but, we all agree they could be better. No where near as good as the ribs we do, which we cook slow.

So I was going to do the low/slow to 160, wrap to 200, and then cooler to 160. I've been searching my farking arse off and I cant find specifics. I assume you are supposed to be wrapping in foil to rest and then wrapping in towels and letting sit? Am i right about this or remembering something off? Sometimes in Q, things are non specific, but every so often things are really specific, haha.

I was also thinking of putting some apple juice/beer in the foil during the cook...

I'd appreciate advice, especially from the old hands... It helps to have an experienced voice, you feel alot more confident taking a new blind route.
urville is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

A lot of people wrap in foil and then add towels to the cooler. The towels just help it retain heat a little better since there isn't so much empty space in the cooler. If you aren't doing a really long rest (many hours) then towels aren't even really necessary. I've popped a few butts in a big cooler just wrapped in foil and about two hours later they were still almost too hot to pull by hand. Heck, even an hour foiled and sitting on the counter can still be pretty hot to handle.

No need to make it too complicated. As long as you cook the butt until it's done to begin with, the wrapping/resting method is more or less a function of how much time you need keep it hot before you pull it.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 1

Related question. Do people open it up and let it rest so that it does not continue to cook in the foil?

Jim - KCBS CBJ

Porcine Perfection BBQ Team - Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

18.5" WSM (1983 model) | 18.5" WSM (2010 model) | Packer Green Thermapen | Auber PID Temp Controller | QMaster Senior Temp Controller | Mini WSM | Green Bay Packer UDS
Porcine Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wrap mine at 160-165. Take it off around 200- check the bone to see how loose it is. When you do pull it open it for a little o let the steam out re wrap. I put mine in a aluminum pan when putting in a cooler to make clean up easier- when you wrap a lot of juice collects which I add to the pulled pork for flavor- some not all. I have never put apple juice in the wrap but that could definately work I would make sure it is at room temp when you add it. I just put mine in the cooler- no blankets towels or newspapers It stays warm for hours I wait at least 2 hrs before pulling Please post how you do
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I let the butt sit on the counter, nekkid for about 15 minutes or so, to let it steam off some heat. Then drop into a preheated cooler, the smaller and tighter the fit, the better. I just lay a towel over the top.

If you have an oven, you can use it, instead of the cooler, and set it at 150F, place butt in there. I still wrap with foil, or cover if I panned.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
urville
Got Wood.

Ok! I see! i will certainly report back with pr0n! I plan to start them late late tonight and cook through tomorrow. It's my first overnight so... He's pretty big and he was butchered rather than coming in a crypopac with any kind of juice or solution, which is also a first. 9lber.
urville is offline   Reply With Quote