MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #721
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Oh, I got somebody to pull the permit, but the mechanical inspector hasn't approved it yet because he wants to "research" it first. Apparently he's afraid I'm going to burn the entire county down or something. But for fark's sake, it's just a self-contained unit attached to a concrete wall. It isn't rocket science.
Dude, I'm so sorry. Did he give you any idea how long he thinks he needs to research it?

Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #722
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Oh, I got somebody to pull the permit, but the mechanical inspector hasn't approved it yet because he wants to "research" it first. Apparently he's afraid I'm going to burn the entire county down or something. But for fark's sake, it's just a self-contained unit attached to a concrete wall. It isn't rocket science.
Thats really frustrating, we are all rooting for you!

Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #723
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
Dude, I'm so sorry. Did he give you any idea how long he thinks he needs to research it?
I talked to him yesterday and asked if we could get this wrapped up today, but he said he probably won't be able to get it until Monday.

The worst is that he keeps telling me that he's not trying to be difficult and is doing everything he can to get us open ASAP. But what a load of crap, don't tell me that and drag your feet and keep giving excuses.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #724
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I talked to him yesterday and asked if we could get this wrapped up today, but he said he probably won't be able to get it until Monday.

The worst is that he keeps telling me that he's not trying to be difficult and is doing everything he can to get us open ASAP. But what a load of crap, don't tell me that and drag your feet and keep giving excuses.
Exactly!

Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!!

I wish you all the best and hope this gets resolved, SOON!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #725
Bperkins01
Full Fledged Farker

that sucks..
in my town - the inspectors are not allowed to drag their feet. If we call for an inspection, they have 48 hours total to get on site...
Bperkins01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #726
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bperkins01 View Post
that sucks..
in my town - the inspectors are not allowed to drag their feet. If we call for an inspection, they have 48 hours total to get on site...
True, it is Friday, but is there anyone you can call to check if this is true for you?

Old 12-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #727
landarc

Hang in there, it will be over soon enough and you will be slinging food. In an hour or two, I will be telling another budding restauranteur the exact same thing. This is the phase that sucks. Interestingly, most of the projects I do now, that involve multiple approvals, we now automatically roll an attorney to the front of the team. That is what is has come to out here.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #728
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hang in there Brother, I know inspectors can be a pain in the arse.
I truly hope to see you Monday for dinner though

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #729
Dauvis
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oifmarine2003 View Post
I read your FB post this morning. That sucks. As a small business owner myself, I know how hard it can be sometimes. Just remember, if it was easy, everybody would do it. Remember what made you want to do this in the first place. You have too much invested in this (time, money, sanity) to give up now. Keep plugging away and in a couple of months when you are busy as F, you will start to forget about all the problems and delays. Your employees can see you are doing everything you can.
Sorry, going to rant here. Feel free to ignore.

True. However, the government does not need to be making it any harder than it needs to be. Sure, there is legitimate reasons for some regulation. As long as he is not serving up a side of salmonella, why does it make a difference whether or not he mops from a bucket or a sink? Most regulations now days are just barriers of entry to keep uppity entrepreneurs from upsetting the apple cart.

If this was yet another McDonalds, you can bet money they would have been opened by now. "Oh... everything looks ok Mr. Franchise Owner" *wink* *wink*

Old 12-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #730
Diesel Dave

^^^Very true, sad......but true

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe

Old 12-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #731
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauvis View Post
Sorry, going to rant here. Feel free to ignore.

True. However, the government does not need to be making it any harder than it needs to be. Sure, there is legitimate reasons for some regulation. As long as he is not serving up a side of salmonella, why does it make a difference whether or not he mops from a bucket or a sink? Most regulations now days are just barriers of entry to keep uppity entrepreneurs from upsetting the apple cart.

If this was yet another McDonalds, you can bet money they would have been opened by now. "Oh... everything looks ok Mr. Franchise Owner" *wink* *wink*
As a former inspector, there is another side.

Suppose the mechanical inspector signs off on the smoker, and he has no experience with them. Then, down the road, the thing catches fire and the kitchen workers can't get out. Someone dies. And the owner of said hypothetical business says 'well, the inspector approved it'. If he did, and there is a proven flaw that he missed, the City is now on the hook. No inspector should ever sign off on work that he either knows is defective, or does not know enough to properly inspect. The person who screwed this up is the original general contractor, who should have known what needed to be done, and done it. Had that happened, then the restaurant would be open.

It isn't always the governments fault.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #732
16Adams

Kind of interesting story about bucket or sink. A local Asian restaurant was discovered to be thawing chicken and fish in the mop sink.

Mention "Mop-Sink Chicken" for supper and everyone knew where to meet. Still do.

I've got a friend that has owned or been part owner in BBQ-Mexican and Italian restaurants. A couple tears (years) ago he got out. He now travels the SW consulting and teaching managers how to interact with customers, vendors government officials and employees for a large chain.

If you stay with it, you too will have that skill set

Old 12-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #733
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I agree with Landarc. I could not blame the guy for not signing off on something he is not 100% certain about

If he is just dragging his feet because he would rather go to a Christmas party or something thats another matter...
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #734
Diesel Dave

Now not to start a problem here, but this is a commercially produced smoker.
So if there were any "mishaps" that would be on the producer of the product. Not the city.
Does he go into this much for a gas oven that's commercially produced?
does any inspector?

Old 12-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #735
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dave View Post
Now not to start a problem here, but this is a commercially produced smoker.
So if there were any "mishaps" that would be on the producer of the product. Not the city.
Does he go into this much for a gas oven that's commercially produced?
does any inspector?
yeah...but there is still the installation.

I just had a wood stove installed in my cabin.

It still had to be permitted and inspected by the county. It was a commercially produced stove, but the install can be balled up by the person putting it in very easily.
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote