oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #2221
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

It's going to be an exciting few weeks. This Friday we're vending at a craft beer and wine festival. They are expecting around 1,000 people and we are one of only 3 food vendors, and the only BBQ. Could be a pretty big day and it will be interesting to see how much food we can pump out of that new concession trailer. We've got a very streamlined menu for it though so it shouldn't be too bad. Just pulled pork or brisket sandwiches with one side, either slaw or beans.

And I was talking with Paul this morning and the new smoker should be ready this weekend, so it looks like I may be heading to Alabama early next week. As soon as we get that thing home the possibilities are endless!
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #2222
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

That's great news! Ive been struggling with quantities for our vending gigs, sold out of food our first 2 times out. So many variables. We cooked at an event with 5 food vendors (3 BBQ) with about 2,500 people there. I cooked enough for 300 and sold out in less than 2 hours. Good luck!
Rotisserie Drum- The Bird Barrel
Whole Hog Pit- The Virginia Spinner
Jumbo Jambo Madmax Franklin BBQ Rat Rod Stick Burner - Hoss
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM   #2223
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShencoSmoke View Post
That's great news! Ive been struggling with quantities for our vending gigs, sold out of food our first 2 times out. So many variables. We cooked at an event with 5 food vendors (3 BBQ) with about 2,500 people there. I cooked enough for 300 and sold out in less than 2 hours. Good luck!
Yeah, I spent a lot of time trying to come up with numbers before placing my weekly food order this morning. Only time will tell how close it comes.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #2224
aawa
Babbling Farker

Of couse I (like every other member from the brethren) and I made some of your pickles. I served them at my practice cook on Saturday and everybody loved them.

Thanks for the recipe!
Weber Mini WSM
Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5"
Sublime Smoke UDS
Lazy man Pitmaster IQ110 w/ rainbox

Superest Fasterest Blue Thermapen

Want to meet some others with the obsession of BBQ? Clicky for the planning of the Virginia/Mid-Atlantic Brethren Bash
aawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-21-2014, 03:11 PM   #2225
bigun94
Found some matches.

Good to see you back posting. I've enjoyed this thread. You've been in my prayers.

What a ride you've been on!!!
bigun94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #2226
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Glad you got things straightened out on your new smoker.

Paul told me about it, he is a great man and does all he can
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michi...80?sk=timeline
http://www.gofundme.com/Michigan-CustomQue-Donate please consider a small donation to help us pay for our charity BBQ efforts for veterans and homeless groups!!!
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 06:03 PM   #2227
EvilSwine
Got Wood.

Just found this website the other day and read this story pretty much nonstop all weekend. I'm not much of a reader but best book I've read in a while. Thanks for sharing.
EvilSwine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #2228
mchar69
Babbling Farker

Quote:
As soon as we get that thing home the possibilities are endless!
Awesome! The possibilities include: needing a few more!
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #2229
tblood
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Hey Jeremy, I’ve been following your adventures for more than a year. I was pretty sure you wouldn’t be opening in July, but didn’t think it would take until October!
Thanks so much for taking the time and sharing. And for your perseverance.
I live in Arizona but will be staying in Elkhart next month and plan on stopping by once or twice.
tblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #2230
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Not going to lie, but I'm a little anxious about this event on Friday. It will essentially be like running 2.5 restaurants at the same time. And of course, we have some ridiculous orders to fill the next day. Like 25 pounds of pulled pork for one person. The logistics for preparing the next few days is giving me a massive headache.

On the bright side, had someone come in today who was traveling through via Texas and somehow heard about our brisket and said he just had to stop to try it. He said it was as good or better than anything he's had back home. I love hearing that.

I take everything people tell me with a grain of salt, but when people come in from BBQ country and give compliments, I won't hesitate to pat myself on the back a bit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 AM   #2231
Demosthenes9
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Not going to lie, but I'm a little anxious about this event on Friday. It will essentially be like running 2.5 restaurants at the same time. And of course, we have some ridiculous orders to fill the next day. Like 25 pounds of pulled pork for one person. The logistics for preparing the next few days is giving me a massive headache.

On the bright side, had someone come in today who was traveling through via Texas and somehow heard about our brisket and said he just had to stop to try it. He said it was as good or better than anything he's had back home. I love hearing that.

I take everything people tell me with a grain of salt, but when people come in from BBQ country and give compliments, I won't hesitate to pat myself on the back a bit.

Heh, not to ruffle too many feathers, but I thought you said the guy was from Texas? BBQ Country is the South East
Demosthenes9 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 03:38 AM   #2232
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

So, where is this craft beer and wine festival taking place? Waco Beach?

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #2233
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So, where is this craft beer and wine festival taking place? Waco Beach?
Riverfront Park here in Niles.

Old 07-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #2234
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I saw today on FB that y'all installed a free popcorn machine. Umm, just curious, but why?
A cheap, salty snack that accomplished 2 things:
- customers love freebies (especially if they have to wait in line)
- the salt on the popcorn will make people have to buy a drink (biggest profit center in a restaurant if I am correct)

I FINALLY ESCAPED THE PIT THAT IS ILLINOIS!!!!
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2014, 03:45 PM   #2235
Team DD
Full Fledged Farker

What page can I find the pickle recipe?

Good luck with the concession trailer!!
Weber One-Touch Silver
Custom Red Thermapen
Team DD is offline   Reply With Quote