oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #2071
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
Unfortunately it's ash.

And I'm about 95% certain I'm buying this concession trailer. It is spotless. Could begin using it immediately as is, but I may make a few equipment tweaks to streamline it for BBQ.

Does it have a current health inspection sticker?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #2072
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
And the best part is it just got it's health department license renewed a few months ago, and by the same health inspector that I had at the restaurant.
Ignore my previous question. I guess that I should finish the thread before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGateJoecom View Post
You know your business and what works for you better than I or anyone here does, but I am wondering if that may be a little too small? The original guy selling nachos and hot dogs is a little different than you selling BBQ.
I doubt that he plans on cooking in the trailer. He could have trays of chopped beef in a cooler and just vend sandwiches out of the thing and probably make some good money.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #2073
Big Dan
Full Fledged Farker

That's a nice little trailer! BUY IT!!
Big Dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #2074
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Holy busy day, batman! We weren't sure how the day would go being the day before a holiday, but we learned quickly. We were out of pulled pork and brisket by 4. The rest of the night we just kept loading the smoker with ribs and tips and couldn't keep up. Those were gone by 7.

Just a huge take out day. Everyone was coming in and ordering by the pound. 3 pounds, 5 pounds, even 15 pounds of meat at a time.

Glad I'm closed tomorrow. Need to recharge before the weekend.

Oh, and I did buy that trailer. Looks like I'm picking it up on Sunday. Can't wait to get that up and running.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #2075
Memphis Que
On the road to being a farker

Since you are running out of meat at the restaurant, are you planning to use the new stick burner that you have coming to cook the meat that you are going to sell out of the trailer?
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #2076
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis Que View Post
Since you are running out of meat at the restaurant, are you planning to use the new stick burner that you have coming to cook the meat that you are going to sell out of the trailer?
Yes, that is the plan. With our capacity issues now, there's not much we could do with the trailer unless it was something during the week when we could scrap together a few extra pork butts and briskets if need be. But until the new smoker is here I'll just spend the time getting it prepared and ready for service.

The first event I plan on using it for is the craft brew and wine festival at the end of the month. Smoker might not be ready quite then, but I'll beg, borrow, or steal something to make sure that event happens.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #2077
Memphis Que

Sounds like a good plan, Jeremy.

Enjoy your day off, and Happy Fourth to all!
Memphis Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #2078
BDAABAT
Full Fledged Farker

I've been a member of this forum since late 2010 but have not visited the site in over a year or done an overnight cook for ~ a year. My inactivity has nothing to do with the site but is solely related to taking over as Scoutmaster for my sons troop. Being Scoutmaster is a whole lot of fun, and a whole lot of work!

This weekend, I decided to fire up the cooker and do some butts. Thought I'd also check in on the brethren to see what's happening. I saw this thread and started reading last night around 10p. Holy schnikies! What a story! I stayed up reading til around 2a, then re started around 5:30a (after checking the butts). I had to find out how things turned out! Totally cool story, and one that should be written up more formally. Your perserverence in the face of those initial challenges, then the highs of feedback on your food from folks followed by the lows due to equipment failures or employee "challenges"... Just riveting stuff! What an amazing experience. Thank you so much for sharing your journey!!

BTW: I woke my wife with my laughter seeing the image of the little girl's face with a pile of brisket in front of her. I saw that page very early this morning and could not help from busting out laughing! What an awesome (yes, I said "awesome") reaction!

Wishing you nothing but much continued success! I very much look forward to hearing about what happens in the next weeks and months.

Bruce
Blackstone pizza oven
Old gasser grill
BDAABAT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #2079
duxklr
Found some matches.

Default On our way

The entire family is on there way up to the prized pig from st. Louis. should be there in a few hours. Looking forward to trying it out.
duxklr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2014, 02:41 PM   #2080
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxklr View Post
The entire family is on there way up to the prized pig from st. Louis. should be there in a few hours. Looking forward to trying it out.
Hopefully we are still stocked up on everything!

And I've got family coming in from Kansas City tomorrow as well. Lots of travelers in town this week.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #2081
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

The trailer made it home! Already got people begging me to take it to their events. Slow down, people. One thing at a time!

Now I need to pick up a small generator, and eventually, a truck. Oh, and a warming box. Damn this simple trailer purchase got expensive quickly.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #2082
Bperkins01

still favorite thread of all time!

I'm thinking Diners, Drive-in's and Dives coming soon..

and Maybe DivaQ on a BBQ crawl...

I hope to get there some day... even if sold out - just to say hi

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2014, 06:37 PM   #2083
Crakaveli

Quote:
The trailer made it home! Already got people begging me to take it to their events. Slow down, people. One thing at a time!

Now I need to pick up a small generator, and eventually, a truck. Oh, and a warming box. Damn this simple trailer purchase got expensive quickly.

will you add any branding to the trailer or keep it as is?
Crakaveli is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #2084
GrillsGoneWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

I'm so glad you finally found something to do with all the extra down time you had......

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #2085
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillsGoneWild View Post
I'm so glad you finally found something to do with all the extra down time you had......
That's why I hired someone a few weeks ago specifically for running concessions and made two people managers. I don't need to be everywhere all the time.