The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
SCSmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default No judges "Doggie Bags" at Red, White, and BBQ

I like the idea. I would like to hear the opinions from both the cooks and judges on here.

From their facebook page:

"I know there has been a lot of discussion on various sites and pages about judges taking "doggie bags". Well, a decision has been made regarding the judges and coolers. The thought process behind this decision was based on several items.

First, we do not want to give the competitors the illusion that they are not being judged fairly.
Second, we do not want to slight the judges as they do a valuable service for the BBQ world
Thirdly, KCBS has no "direct" rule regarding this. Any decision is solely up to the competition.

So, with that being said, as chairman, I will state the following:
For the competition,
1. No coolers will be allowed in the judges tent. Judges are to leave their coolers in their car.
2. NO samples will be allowed to be kept from a judges plate for them to take home. This could be a serious health issue. Sorry, this is the way it will be. Table Captains shall be charged with ensuring this happens.

All judges for the RWBBQ 2013 were sent an email of this decision."

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, it IS a competition, not a catering event...
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Not a judge but the doggie bags seemed like their reward for volunteering their time. I guess I would be more upset if my food went into the trash rather then taken home. If this doesn't slight the judges do they get something else in return?
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Why does a judge need a reward for volunteering their time?!?!?.. Judges do it for the love of being a judge at a BBQ contest. I want any judge, judging my food, to take big, fair bites of my submissions. If they want leftovers to take home, I'm sure some teams can accomodate.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #5
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

I am fully in favor of banning coolers from the judging tent.

There was a contest not too long ago where judges canceled at the last minute because coolers would not be allowed. That alone says to me that a cooler ban will flush out some who shouldn't be in the tent.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I could care less what someone would take home, but I will say this, taking home food that has been bit through is just plain old weird! Let alone fighting for the right to do so

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

For the judges at Westmont who want BBQ to take home there are several teams who are planning on donating leftover food. That way they can do their job in the judging tent and still have something to take home (and we promise not to take bites out of everything first )

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
(and we promise not to take bites out of everything first )
Is that before results?
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
Genesis 3 Gasser
Bradley
Bisquette Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Chef View Post
Is that before results?
If you want me to personally bite your BBQ samples, I will gladly provide that service, before or after

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend

Unread 05-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #10
Pigs on Fire
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cast Iron Chef View Post
Not a judge but the doggie bags seemed like their reward for volunteering their time. I guess I would be more upset if my food went into the trash rather then taken home. If this doesn't slight the judges do they get something else in return?

I suspect the judges could take home all they want if they start visiting with the teams after turn-ins are over. One team might say no, the next three might be handing it to the judge(s) faster than they can put it in the cooler.

Maybe not every event, but for most, I would say this would be the norm.
Pigs on Fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

On one hand, I really don't care what people do with the food after they take a bite, but I really don't like to hear about judges nibbling food just so they have more to take home.

Just like everything else a select few ruin it for the rest.

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
bodcat
Knows what a fatty is.

What happens now when a judge trys to eat as much as they can and by the time they get to brisket they are so full they can't judge it fairly?

Some of these judges drive for hours to judge, some stay in hotels, etc etc. There time and money volunteered should be appreciated more. I think they should be able to do whatever they want with the leftover samples. I have always thought of it as a small reward. I have cooked a couple contest where they have given the teams a foil pan for any extra food to donate to the rest of the volunteers working the event. I always thought that was a good idea.

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigs on Fire View Post
I suspect the judges could take home all they want if they start visiting with the teams after turn-ins are over. One team might say no, the next three might be handing it to the judge(s) faster than they can put it in the cooler.

Maybe not every event, but for most, I would say this would be the norm.
My only concern with this is judges being able to identify a team's food after a while. We regularly see the same judges around here and it is possible that they would be able to identify the team that turned in a box by the taste. Of course, the chance of them getting my box is low, and then they would have to act on that knowledge, but it could happen.

I'd rather donate some leftovers in a foil pan and have them made available to the judges and volunteers blindly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodcat View Post
What happens now when a judge trys to eat as much as they can and by the time they get to brisket they are so full they can't judge it fairly?

Some of these judges drive for hours to judge, some stay in hotels, etc etc. There time and money volunteered should be appreciated more. I think they should be able to do whatever they want with the leftover samples. I have always thought of it as a small reward. I have cooked a couple contest where they have given the teams a foil pan for any extra food to donate to the rest of the volunteers working the event. I always thought that was a good idea.
The issue is that judges have been observed taking the smallest possible "bite" out of a sample in order to have more food to take home. It's hard to get an idea of the taste and tenderness when you are nibbling on the edge of a rib.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

Remembering a friend

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
sfisch
is One Chatty Farker

There is usually a lot of food leftover from turn in boxes that canbe divided up and taken home by judges after they are done. The food on the mats should be fairly eaten and not partially eaten to be saved to be taken home later.
Backwoods fatboy, onyx oven
Certified Moink Baller, CBJ# 53817
sfisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Skip
is One Chatty Farker

Is it your food or theirs? Are you judging or them? Does it really matter what they do with whats leftover? I really can't see how this bothers any of you. The judge sits and tastes then saves whats left. Most judges take one or two bites. Of course any judge seen purposefully trying to eat as little as possible will be identified by the table captain and reported. I think you will just alienate them by telling them what they can do with their food.

With how picky people are about the food they eat I find it hard to believe they will be willing and or satisfied picking through the scraps table. As well thats for the table captains and volunteers.

Swamp Pit BBQ's freeloader

To part or not to part: that is the question. Whether ‘tis nobler in the mind to part and suffer the slings and arrows of ostentatious brothers or to not part when faced with a sea of dissent, and by compromise end it? To part: to succeed. Forever more: and by succeed to say we win.

Yeah it looks good...but how does it smell?

Member of The Big Guns BBQ Team Semper Fumantem

"you're eating tree RAT, tree RAT, you're eating RAT!" -- landarc
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->