The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
cpw
Babbling Farker

Default Question on KCBS "taste"

OK, So my team just competed in our first KCBS contest, using the exact same recipes we'd used in SCBA and FBA contests, with decent results. I won't say we did bad, we came in 8th out of 42 teams, with a 3rd place in brisket (which I thought was our worst meat, but what do I know?)

My question is on the taste score, and I'll use chicken (21st place) as an example: 7,9,8,9,8,7 on taste. I know the chicken didn't taste bad or off or anything like that, but when people say "1 bite" do they really mean 1 bite? Do I need to amp up the rub and sauce to the point where I couldn't/wouldn't want to eat more than 1 bite to get the taste score up? On chicken, I wasn't using any rubs or sauces that were out of the ordinary, everything was commercially bought.

thanks for any help

-Chad
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub, Deep South Smokers, and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

I always take a bite from each side of the thigh. With chicken the first bite is so important because the skin game comes into play. Bite through skin is the goal of course, but as a judge I will only grade down if the skin becomes a "chin slapper".

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't change it for another contest or two. If the judges that gave you 7's are chronic low scorers you should see better scores next time. If the judges that gave you 9's are chronic high scorers you will see lower scores next time. Your mix of scores for this contest is hard to know what was what. JMO. Keith

Old 05-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
I always take a bite from each side of the thigh. With chicken the first bite is so important because the skin game comes into play. Bite through skin is the goal of course, but as a judge I will only grade down if the skin becomes a "chin slapper".
Our tenderness scores were low on the chicken as well, but I do know that the skin was bite through. We had several pieces that didn't go in the box and I made sure to taste them 10 minutes after turn in.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub, Deep South Smokers, and The Atlanta BBQ store

Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

cpw, at any contest (regardless of sanctioning body), what works great at one table may not work nearly as great at the next table. Taste is extremely subjective. What is too sweet to one person is perfect to another. Same for salt. Same for smokieness. etc.

Also, check with the organizers and see about % of CBJ's. Less CBJ's tend to reward heavily sauced things better, where more seasoned CBJ's grade it down because "it's not a sauce contest"...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Also, check with the organizers and see about % of CBJ's. Less CBJ's tend to reward heavily sauced things better, where more seasoned CBJ's grade it down because "it's not a sauce contest"...
I think I remember the KCBS rep saying it was 100% CBJ. I would say that there was a fair amount of sauce on there, but not too much.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA

Old 05-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Lake Dogs

My guess is, looking at your chicken taste scores, it was too this or too that for a couple of the folks. Can't tell, it could've been too bland, but it could've been too spicy, or too sweet, or just too much sauce itself.

I wouldn't read too much into any 1 contest, or 2 for that matter... 3 contests, with similar results, time to try things differently...
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
cpw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
My guess is, looking at your chicken taste scores, it was too this or too that for a couple of the folks. Can't tell, it could've been too bland, but it could've been too spicy, or too sweet, or just too much sauce itself.

I wouldn't read too much into any 1 contest, or 2 for that matter... 3 contests, with similar results, time to try things differently...
I hear ya. Our next contest is a Sam's Club qualifier, so I'm trying to improve just enough to get to 6th overall. The contest we just competed in was really to find out where we stood on scores.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA

Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
bbq.tom
is One Chatty Farker

I'm a 'two-bite' judge (NOT 2-bit) and usually use the first bite to test the skin and initial impression of taste. Second bite from the opposite side of the entry to help judge the texture/tenderness and finalize the taste score.

With your score spread it kind of looks to me like you have something slightly overpowering - either spice/sweet/smoke/bland/something. Some like it and some don't.

I'd get more input from another contest or three before changing much.
CBJ - MBN, NCBS, NCPC, SBN
CTC - KCBS
4 Lil' Pigs Competition BBQ Team
270-Sumo, LANG, BDS, & Holland Epic
bbq.tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Sawdustguy

Actually your taste numbers were not terrible. Your marks of 7,9,8,9,8,7 are not bad. You only had two marks that were not 8's or 9's. I would only tweek your chicken a little. You may not be that far off. Of course if you competed at another contest your marks could be totally different. There are too many variables to make a judgement from one set of scores from one contest. If it was easy everybody would win.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #11
MikeJ65
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Our tenderness scores were low on the chicken as well, but I do know that the skin was bite through. We had several pieces that didn't go in the box and I made sure to taste them 10 minutes after turn in.
I know it is supposed to be two distinct scores, but taste and tenderness tend to get judged together. Tough, but perfectly seasoned brisket might deserve an x-9-5, but it is more likely to get an x-7-6. If your skin was a bit tough, it is very hard to get 9's on taste. I know this isn't how judges are trained, but its what I see happening. I think judges are reluctant to give really low scores, so they tend to do it this way.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
My question is on the taste score, and I'll use chicken (21st place) as an example: 7,9,8,9,8,7 on taste. ...but when people say "1 bite" do they really mean 1 bite? Do I need to amp up the rub and sauce to the point where I couldn't/wouldn't want to eat more than 1 bite to get the taste score up?
For me as a judge, it is simply getting full too fast if it is much more then one healthy bite. Now that more an more teams are putting in multipul pieces of pork and brisket with burnt ends...trying to manage the amount of food intake is the biggest reason I rarely take more then one bite...

And no, I have not taken BBQ home with me from judging since 2004.

Not sure how to give you any advice on the rest.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
Smokin Hoggz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
Sounds like you only need to make a small adjustment, whether its more/less salt, sweet, spice, sauce etc...

When I took the judging class we were told not to judge the chicken based on the skin, and if the skin came off not to judge it down.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #14
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Hoggz View Post
Sounds like you only need to make a small adjustment, whether its more/less salt, sweet, spice, sauce etc...

When I took the judging class we were told not to judge the chicken based on the skin, and if the skin came off not to judge it down.
I also was told that you were NOT to score down on skin that comes off. I have read the discussions many times on here but it still doesn't seem that all judges follow the guide lines provided.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #15
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i would hope judges arent scoring down JUST because the skin came off. however, i could agree that it would change the overall product being eaten and thus may affect score. maybe even for the better?

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote