The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
NCT
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 03-29-13
Location: Covington, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Pork loin advice

I have about a 3lb pork loin that my other half laid out and was looking for some suggestions. The rest of the loin was sliced thin for poke chops to be used as breakfast tenderloin for biscuits and tomato gravy. I was looking for some advice on what to do with the little guy. I'm thinking peach wood with a little yardbird until 140?

thanks guys
__________________
Primo Oval XL
NCT is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
Ron_L
Moderator

 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Yardbird is good. I would brine it if it's not enhanced already.

Also, if you are cooking it hot (300+ I would pull it off at 135 and rest under a tent of foil. The carry over will bring it above 140.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

 
BBQ Bandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-08
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Ron has sage advice...

It is fantastic (after smoked and chilled) - sliced deli thin piled high in a Super BLT sandwich... porkloin + Bacon + lettuce + tomato
__________________
Cooking at Mason-Dixon BBQ Services
Lang 84 Deluxe Kitchen known as "The Glamazon" , Custom Klose Backyard Chef... of Snot, and a 22.5 WSM

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
K80Shooter
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 10-20-12
Location: Hartwell, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCT View Post
I have about a 3lb pork loin that my other half laid out and was looking for some suggestions. The rest of the loin was sliced thin for poke chops to be used as breakfast tenderloin for biscuits and tomato gravy. I was looking for some advice on what to do with the little guy. I'm thinking peach wood with a little yardbird until 140?

thanks guys
Take it on up to 160* i.t. then foil with some apple juice (peach would be wonderful if you can find it) then put it back on till a i.t. temp of 190*. Remove from smoker and throw in a small cooler for a couple of hours. You will be amazed at how tender and juicy it is when you get ready to eat it.

I try to keep the smoker around 240 - 250 for the cook
__________________
X-Large Big Green Egg

Last edited by K80Shooter; 05-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Added smoker temp.
K80Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Wampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-05-09
Location: Mooresville, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yeah, whatEVER you do, don't overcook it.

Because pork loin is so lean, it does not need low & slow or cooked to 190 like tough, fatty cuts like pork butt. Cook it only until it hits 135-140 and rest it. It'll still be juicy and awesome then.


I like to stuff mine or inject sometimes.

I LOVE doing THIS!
__________________
SSUDS
18.5", 22.5" OTS
Weber Performer
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
BobM
Babbling Farker

 
Join Date: 02-16-12
Location: Long Island, NY
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I generally inject pork loins. A mixture of apple cider and apple cider vinegar is good.
I cook it at about 300F, until 140F IT. A glaze of apple sauce and honey is good.
Pull it off, tent it and let it rest for 1/2 hour.
Enjoy!
__________________
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin
| Weber 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM, 22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG, Genesis S-330 |
| BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi
| Maverick ET-732 |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #7
El Ropo
Babbling Farker
 
El Ropo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-10
Location: Austin, TX
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Wampus is right. No need whatsoever to take pork loin any higher than 140. It's so lean, all it does is dry out when overcooked. But when done right, it makes some of the best sammiches in the history of mankind.
__________________
Modded Brinkmann Gourmet. Basic UDS. Rescued 22.5" OTS. SJS Mini-WSM. Stubbs. B&B Oak Lump.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
vanwho
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 12-14-09
Location: Arlington, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

If you have a cooker that will get to 500, do a high heat roast to 140, rest and slice. Best way to do a loin roast that I have found.
vanwho is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
K80Shooter
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 10-20-12
Location: Hartwell, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yeah, whatEVER you do, don't overcook it.

Because pork loin is so lean, it does not need low & slow or cooked to 190 like tough, fatty cuts like pork butt. Cook it only until it hits 135-140 and rest it. It'll still be juicy and awesome then.

I LOVE doing THIS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
Wampus is right. No need whatsoever to take pork loin any higher than 140. It's so lean, all it does is dry out when overcooked. But when done right, it makes some of the best sammiches in the history of mankind.
Normally I would agree with you guy's but, unless you have tried it like I posted it above you cant really knock it.

Seriously you can cut it with a fork the way I have told him to cook it above.
__________________
X-Large Big Green Egg
K80Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
deguerre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-15-09
Location: Memphis, TN...Formerly of Decatur, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I really love doing them with a little mustard powder, and a combo of Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust and Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction as the rub. Then cook as Ronelle suggested.
__________________
Guerry >^..^< Pit Beeatch for Team Munchkin
Avatar by Northwest BBQ
"If more people would just open their minds, more people would learn things." Wampus
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Wampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-05-09
Location: Mooresville, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
Normally I would agree with you guy's but, unless you have tried it like I posted it above you cant really knock it.

Seriously you can cut it with a fork the way I have told him to cook it above.
I'm not knocking it bro, or saying you're wrong.

It's just been my experience that when I've cooked them to any higher than 165 they come out dryer, tougher and not as good as when I left them pink inside (140ish), that's all.
__________________
SSUDS
18.5", 22.5" OTS
Weber Performer
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
deguerre's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-15-09
Location: Memphis, TN...Formerly of Decatur, AL
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
Normally I would agree with you guy's but, unless you have tried it like I posted it above you cant really knock it.

Seriously you can cut it with a fork the way I have told him to cook it above.

OK. I, for one, am always game for the occasional experiment. I may actually try your method next time I get a whole loin on sale. I just saved the thread to my file so I won't lose it.
Hey Wamp! I'll let you know how it goes.
__________________
Guerry >^..^< Pit Beeatch for Team Munchkin
Avatar by Northwest BBQ
"If more people would just open their minds, more people would learn things." Wampus
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
K80Shooter
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 10-20-12
Location: Hartwell, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I'm not knocking it bro, or saying you're wrong.

It's just been my experience that when I've cooked them to any higher than 165 they come out dryer, tougher and not as good as when I left them pink inside (140ish), that's all.
I agree, till I started foiling and resting a couple of hours they were tough as nails unless I pulled them around 140*.

I actually got the recipe from on here to try. Changed my whole outlook on the temp thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
OK. I, for one, am always game for the occasional experiment. I may actually try your method next time I get a whole loin on sale. I just saved the thread to my file so I won't lose it.
Hey Wamp! I'll let you know how it goes.
Glad you're open minded enough to try. Make sure to use heavy duty foil and not to poke a hole in it as it will turn out all kinds of juice. Looking forward to your review.
__________________
X-Large Big Green Egg
K80Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
Ron_L
Moderator

 
Ron_L's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-09-04
Location: Chicago 'Burbs
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
Take it on up to 160* i.t. then foil with some apple juice (peach would be wonderful if you can find it) then put it back on till a i.t. temp of 190*. Remove from smoker and throw in a small cooler for a couple of hours. You will be amazed at how tender and juicy it is when you get ready to eat it.

I try to keep the smoker around 240 - 250 for the cook
This is basically the method that Willkat89 posted years ago. The earliest reference I can find is here.

I've tried it and it comes our good, but it's different than a loin cooked to 140. I prefer them at 140, but Bill's method comes out well.
__________________
"Ron Rico, Boss. You can call me Captain Ron..."

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.


 
gtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-16-10
Location: Culver City, CA
Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0
Default

Willkat cooks?
__________________
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts