The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Mahoney86
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Stupid Question - But how many that compete dont have RVs and Motorhomes

Ive been starting to prepare for entering a comp this year and with all the over night, food prep etc all I ever really see is people with food prep tailers, RVs or Motorhomes... Do any of you compete without any of that stuff? Ive got to worry about saving for a house, forget buying and RV to try BBQ comps! Tell me your stories about those of you who sleep in tents or in the back of your truck
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

We don't. We blow up air matresses and sleep on the farkin ground in a couple of EZUps or at best a 10'x20' carport canopy with walls on it (the one in my avatar).
Everything we bring to a comp (other than the Jambo) can fit in the back of one pickup truck bed.
We've literally taken 1 Supercrew F150 (which has a 5.5' bed), full and pulled the Jambo behind us to many a comp and that's it.
A couple of fold up tables, cambro a couple of bins, the canopy and some chairs. That's us.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Fatback Joe
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

For my first couple of years, my set up was just my truck and an open 5x10 trailer. Slept under the EZ up most of the time and if the weather was too crappy would retreat to the truck for a while.

WSM
Medium Spicewine
Stumps GF223
KCBS, NEBS Member
Fatback Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

2 10x10 EZ-Ups
2 cots or a backpack tent if it is going to rain
Couple sleeping bags
6 foot and a 4 foot table

Years ago I just used the tailgate of my truck because it was just me and that was more than enough room to do everything.

We would like to get a toy hauler especially for camping during the summer.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Uploads: 1

I did my first KCBS comp in 2007. I have slept in a chair, in a tent, on a cot without a tent, in the bed of a truck, and the backseat of a truck.

Last fall I finally got a small camper to sleep in.

For me...I didn't do more than 3 comps a year so roughing it was not that bad. This year I plan to compete at least 12 times so the camper is nice.

You will see "LOTS" of teams roughing it.

Oh...and welcome to the madness!

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
RX2006JE

i sleep in a tent and have another tent for prep work. both are 10x10 popups haven't had a problem in over 2 years of competing
RX2006JE is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We've competed in KCBS events since 2006. We had a big 8 x 20 mobile kitchen for a couple years out of that time, but the cost of dragging it around and hassle of needing extra space at events led us to changing back to a smaller, simpler setup. We currently pull a 6 x 12 pure cargo trailer and set up two 10' pop-up tents. No AC, no TV, etc. etc.

We do use a portable sink with a hot water heater, but that's about the limit of luxury in our camp. If I hit the lottery I'd probably have a porch trailer built, but then again if that happens I would hire a crew to set up, break down and transport and just have my driver bring me over to the contest from the Hilton in the Bentley.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
Mahoney86

Glad to hear all this info. I don't think I would be roughing it too bad as I have generators, TVs and AIR Satellite from Tailgating, air mattresses etc... The few comps I have went to check out were larger ones and roughing it was probably nothing less than a small box truck with beds inside haha...

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Smoke&HoneyBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
Glad to hear all this info. I don't think I would be roughing it too bad as I have generators, TVs and AIR Satellite from Tailgating, air mattresses etc... The few comps I have went to check out were larger ones and roughing it was probably nothing less than a small box truck with beds inside haha...
Hell you are in better shape than we are.

No TV, no generator, and definitely no Satellite.

I have a smart phone so maybe I can kill a couple hours screwing around on that.
Smoke&HoneyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Like CivilWar, I've scaled back on luxury. I actually have an RV but dont bring/use it for most comps (other that MBN, which is another story altogether). 2 10x10 tents, can make do with just 1. I have a full sized van that we bring in the stuff with, pull-behind smoker, sleep in the van for those quick cat naps or raining cats n dogs. It's just easier... No generators for me, as I got started in comps where electricity was a no-no. If they have electricity, great, we'll bring a few lights. If not, great, we usually have a camping lantern or two ready to go.

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Ron_L

Around here there are more teams without RVs than those that have them

BTW, you mentioned generators. Please be sure that you are using a quiet generator, not a construction generator.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
K-Train
is one Smokin' Farker

A carport and one ez up. Did a comp a few weeknds back where it was cold. Dropped the sides of the car port and fired up a small (very small) propane heater. Nice and cozy.
WSM 22.5
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #13
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

We're a Hobo team - two Ez-ups and the trailer cooker.

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Wrench_H
is one Smokin' Farker

One of the guys that sometimes goes with us has one and its nice when he does, especially during summer, but you certainly don't need one. When he doesn't go, we have taken tents and even slept in chairs under the ez up. I don't usually sleep a whole lot anyway though. I've found the only real advantage to having the RV is when doing parsley boxes in the wind.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time Zero Member

Try the Throwdowns - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Mahoney86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Around here there are more teams without RVs than those that have them

BTW, you mentioned generators. Please be sure that you are using a quiet generator, not a construction generator.
Yes its my Honda EU2000i that I have had for quite some time.. Don't think they get much quitter than that