The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How many sanctioning bodies are in Texas?.And which one is the most creditable

I know TX has a bunch of different bodies but which one is the best and most respected...my guess would be IBCA since they also do comps outside of TX..just wanted a little light shed on why there are so many?
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
hcj3rd
On the road to being a farker

Politics is the reason. IBCA and Texas Gulf Coast are probably the most prominent. They both have almost identical rules. Both organizations have problems making significant changes due to old school vs new. I think Texas Gulf Coast has a chance to become the leading one in Texas. They are a smaller organization which makes them more nimble and adapt to changes more easily. This is only my opinion and I am sure there are others out there.

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

I believe it is because the state is so big and there are so many contests on any given date that it made sense to have more than one. Also could be a regional thing to try and keep things relatively close by geographically. I am sure a current native Texan will chime in soon to clarify.

• Central Texas Barbeque Association – “CTBA was formed to establish fair and equal guidelines for all competitive BBQ cooks who insist on well-run and organized barbeque cookoffs. The Central Texas Barbeque Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting barbeque – barbeque cooking, Bar-B-Que contest, B-B-Q eating, BBQ whatever – and having a good time while doing so. No matter how you spell “BARBEQUE” it is the hottest thing going. The CTBA was founded in 1992 with 10 members and grew to over 100 in less than a year.”
  • Lonestar Barbecue Society – “The Lone Star Barbecue Society exists to foster and promote the furthering and appreciation of the State Food of Texas – BBQ! The Lone Star Barbecue Society sanctions competition BBQ cookoffs, and provides fair rules and fair judging for all contestants who participate.”
  • Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cooker’s Association – “The purpose of the organization is to develop, strengthen, encourage and maintain equitable barbecue cooking competitions; and, to further support the organizing and promotion of barbecue cooking competition for charitable and/or non profit purposes. Our membership is composed of anyone interested in the purpose of encouraging and supporting the improvement of judging, organizing and promoting barbecue cook-off events. TGCBCA’s main objective is to insure a fair and equitable judging for all competitive cookers at a TGCBCA sanctioned event.”
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
I believe it is because the state is so big and there are so many contests on any given date that it made sense to have more than one. Also could be a regional thing to try and keep things relatively close by geographically. I am sure a current native Texan will chime in soon to clarify.

• Central Texas Barbeque Association – “CTBA was formed to establish fair and equal guidelines for all competitive BBQ cooks who insist on well-run and organized barbeque cookoffs. The Central Texas Barbeque Association is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting barbeque – barbeque cooking, Bar-B-Que contest, B-B-Q eating, BBQ whatever – and having a good time while doing so. No matter how you spell “BARBEQUE” it is the hottest thing going. The CTBA was founded in 1992 with 10 members and grew to over 100 in less than a year.”
  • Lonestar Barbecue Society – “The Lone Star Barbecue Society exists to foster and promote the furthering and appreciation of the State Food of Texas – BBQ! The Lone Star Barbecue Society sanctions competition BBQ cookoffs, and provides fair rules and fair judging for all contestants who participate.”
  • Texas Gulf Coast BBQ Cooker’s Association – “The purpose of the organization is to develop, strengthen, encourage and maintain equitable barbecue cooking competitions; and, to further support the organizing and promotion of barbecue cooking competition for charitable and/or non profit purposes. Our membership is composed of anyone interested in the purpose of encouraging and supporting the improvement of judging, organizing and promoting barbecue cook-off events. TGCBCA’s main objective is to insure a fair and equitable judging for all competitive cookers at a TGCBCA sanctioned event.”
Very well put..thank you for some details.so it's kinda like the book Texas Legends of BBQ in some respects..TX BBQ is such a melting pot of culture and styles of cooking at least from what I've read..as far as comps go are all of these different bodies doing the same type of cook offs and meats..chicken,spares and brisket with no garnish?
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:

Old 05-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Another question..which contest is the biggest and most prestigious in Tx..I know about HLSR is there another or is that the one?
Our website:

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm assuming you intend to cook a contest in Texas?

The reason I ask is that the IBCA not exactly respected here in Georgia. There was only a single event sanctioned by that organization in our state, and it did not have a very good reputation.

A lot of the perception of a sanctioning body comes from the performance of the people Repping contests in an area. I'm sure inside of Texas you would have more choice of Reps and have better luck getting good ones than in the wilderness outside the Republic.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I like IBCA. Even at two first year events, it went off great.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
SDAR
Babbling Farker

I may be wrong, but I think the "reps" are the organization generally a charity putting on the cooks. There are head judges assigned to territories like the panhandle.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-14-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

I like CTBA better than all of them. Never cooked a TGCBCA. Not a big fan of LSBS, because you have to cook spare ribs and chicken halves. They'll also throw your brisket out if it isn't sliced within a certain thickness. CTBA allows any thickness on the brisket, any type of chicken, and spares or baby backs. So long as you have X amount of bite sized pieces in your turn in tray plus a show piece. The most prominent cook off in Texas is probably Meridian. HLSR is kind of a joke, because they compare your brisket score to rib and chicken scores. I don't feel it a very fair judging system.
Cmikes is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 AM   #10
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDAR View Post
I may be wrong, but I think the "reps" are the organization generally a charity putting on the cooks. There are head judges assigned to territories like the panhandle.
Yes, I believe you are correct. IBCA calls the person who represents the sanctioning body "Head Judge". KCBS calls them "Rep". Different nomenclature, same job.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
Another question..which contest is the biggest and most prestigious in Tx..I know about HLSR is there another or is that the one?
I haven't been around the comp scene too long, but I can tell you there are several big comps in TX hosted by IBCA, Tx gulf coast and LSBS. Meridian and the SA stock show rodeo are pretty huge. I'm not sure if any one of them is more prestigious than the other. To pull out a win at any huge comp. is obviously an accomplishment. As mentioned IBCA (the biggest), Tx gulf coast and LSBS all have similar rules and turn-ins. CTBA is different, never cooked one before either. Houston live stock comp is not sanctioned and they go by their own rules.
JS-TX is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #12
SDAR
Babbling Farker

For instance...I've got a competition this weekend in Amarillo that is the same event every year. It is called Homer's Backyard Ball. It is a big one, probably 80-100 teams each year. It is a beneft for Make A Wish foundation and the head judge is assigned to this territory from IBCA and has been for several years.

The accomodations/entertainment are from the event organizer. The competition is organized by the head judge.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM   #13
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Several good points made above. I have cooked TGCBCA (once) and IBCA 6 times, except for the saucing and cropping rules (TGCBCA allows it), both are pretty much the same. LSBS and CTBA are too far away from me to travel to any of their cooks, which leads us to another point of why Texas has so many sanctioning bodies, sheer size. On any given weekend in Texas, there could be at least 10 different IBCA cook offs, with anywhere from 300 to well over 400 teams cooking (total) in those events (any other states with that number?). Texas also has the Go Texan events in a number of different counties across the state that lead up to the HLSR.
As far as most prestigious, HLSR (even with crazy rules), San Antonio Rodeo, Humble Rodeo, Meridian, Grand Prairie to just name a few.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
IBCA is probably the most known. I like them all but my my favorite is CTBA. I like the bite sized pieces and showpiece. We got mad skills on making a beautiful full box that is juicy like a muffugler! The Houston rodeo doesn't pay 1 cent for winnings, so it's a no go for me. I would say the meridian state championship would be the most prestigious to win in Texas
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #15
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the replies guys..man there are more than I thought!.I guess it really comes down to who you ask which one is best and all have valid reasons as to why.Texas truly is its own world when it comes to bbq and it 's very interesting to me..out here it's all KCBS mostly with some IBCA sprinkled in here and there..and this brings me to my next question with all of those different bodies how is the best cooker in TX determined?.I'd say Johnny is the most well known and has won the Jack twice and is nationally known but he's mainly a KCBS cook..who is the most dominant inside Tx the last 15 years?
Our website: