The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #1
squish9173
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Catering question

I was asked to cater a grad party this summer & was just wondering if i was way off base with my price,new to this.50lbs of pulled pork w/sauce,#10 of hotdogs,40 burgers,40# of marinated chicken breast,30# of salt potatoes,potato salad,baked beans,mac&cheese&mac salad.I quoted them $900-950.For 80-100ppl.

Last edited by squish9173; 05-13-2013 at 06:48 PM..
squish9173 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
bizznessman
Full Fledged Farker

Without more information (serving sizes, self-serve or served, cost of your raw ingredients, etc) it is hard to answer.

Let me just cover the pork as an example. Fifty lbs of cooked pulled pork will require ~100#'s raw pork (approx 50% loss in cook) at our local cost of $1.79/lb will result in a total cost of $179 for the served pork. We use a 3X method of pricing. Therefore the pork alone would bill out at ~$537.

Looking at your full menu I wouldn't touch that gig for less than $1500. But it depends on your intentions. Is this a money maker for you (business) or a favor to someone due it being a grad party.

General rule we use is to calculate ALL of our costs (including our time spent preparing, cost of goods, transportation costs, consumables, etc.) and take that total times 3 to arrive at the price charged.

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
marubozo
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree with bizz. How did you come up with your quote? Did you just take a typical price per head and multiply it by potential guests? Or did you sit down and price everything out, calculating all costs, time, labor, tableware, etc. and then build in a profit on top of that to reach your quote?

Without knowing the true costs available to you it's impossible to say whether or not you gave a good quote. For your area and food costs, it may not be too bad. On the other hand, you could find yourself basically working for free.
marubozo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Seems like a lot of meat for 80-100 ppl. You are at over a pound of meat per person.

Unread 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
smokeworker
Knows what a fatty is.

That's a "nothing better break and cost me money or I lose my ass" price. That's what I refer to it as. That being said, I have a big family and have done quite a few myself.

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #6
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

The price isn't too bad for that number of people, but you are planning on cook way too much food for that size crowd. That's where you are going to lose your profit.

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I agree with to much food for that amount of people. The only way to answer the cost question is if we now how much paid for it.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

At that price you are basically LOSING money.

WAY to much food. Your cost should be nearly double based on serving 4 meats and 5 sides.

I would start over and ask how much meat is needed for this amount of people and what should i charge.
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote