The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
bimmerdad
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS Flat Lid not tight

Hi All,

I have a flat lid for my UDS and so far, if I don't use the clamp that secures the lid to the drum, the lid does not sit flat on the drum which of course allows smoke to escape. My lid seems to be a little warped.

I've seen several photos of other UDS builds where the lid seems to sit flat on the drum. I do have a Weber kettle lid I was thinking of using but I would need to add a metal strip around the inside of the drum and that would mean I could no longer use my flat lid and I don't know if I want to do that yet.

Any suggestions on what I can do to get my lid to sit flat on the drum? I really would like to solve this problem with the flat lid.

Thanks

Bimmerdad
bimmerdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #2
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I had a local shop cut the rim off the flat lid and weld it to the Weber lid, I then smeared some high temp silicone on the inside seam and it works like a champ. This weekend I am going to clean the rim and put a tight layer of felt around it.

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
aawa
is Blowin Smoke!

Get a high heat gasket such as the one used on the BGE's or the rope gaskets.

http://www.bbqgaskets.com/catalog_1.html

That should help seal the flat lid.

Unread 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
zzrudyzz
Got Wood.

Ok maybe a dumb question but so what if it is not perfectly sealed? As long as only smoke is escaping and it is not acting like an inlet why worry?
zzrudyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
bimmerdad

@GreenDrake, Thanks for the info, that's something I might have to consider.

@Aawa, I think the lid would need to be even (not warped) for that to work, but I could be wrong.

There has got to be a way to get this thing to lay flat, I couldn't be the only one who has had this problem...

Thanks for the info.

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

If you're able to completely snuff out the coals at the end of the cook I wouldn't worry about the leaky lid.

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
bimmerdad

I thought about that but I thought I may have temp control issue. I guess you're saying gaps around the lid are just letting out more exhaust air and that shouldn't effect my temps that much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzrudyzz View Post
Ok maybe a dumb question but so what if it is not perfectly sealed? As long as only smoke is escaping and it is not acting like an inlet why worry?

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
bimmerdad

I really haven't tried to snuff out the coals without using the locking ring. I can give it a try and see.

I also thought about putting a few heavy objects on the lid where it's not flat but that would look awful tacky....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
If you're able to completely snuff out the coals at the end of the cook I wouldn't worry about the leaky lid.

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
oifmarine2003
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdad View Post
I thought about that but I thought I may have temp control issue. I guess you're saying gaps around the lid are just letting out more exhaust air and that shouldn't effect my temps that much?
Depends on how warped. A little leakage wouldn't be a big deal but a bigger leak would make it harder to hold a temperature consistently.

disclaimer: I do not have a UDS but have a cabinet style smoker that is same basic principle just bigger. It had small air leaks on some of the trim and it still worked great.

Homemade Wood Smokehouse, Charmglow gasser, Smoke Hollow, UDS, dual chamber homemade grill, Uline Weber Kettle
Certified MOINK Baller

UNLINED DRUM KING OF CHICAGO AREA

Scrap Iron Chef
oifmarine2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
zzrudyzz
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdad View Post
Yea my lid leaks some not a big deal i just try to get it as tight as possible and if some smoke comes out i dont sweat it. I can hold temp pretty well. I originally tried to make a gasket for it but turned out to be more of a headache than it was worth.
zzrudyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #11
woodbutcher1
Take a breath!

You can flatten out the bend/warped flat lid with a little over bending here and there. Do so in small increments and mark the spots before and after bending. good luck.
18.5" Weber------OTS
14" Weber---- Smokey Joe
55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #12
bimmerdad

Thought about that also. At this point that might be the best I can do and just live with the little leaks.

I'm off to the hardware store to purchase a handle for the lid.

Bimmerdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
You can flatten out the bend/warped flat lid with a little over bending here and there. Do so in small increments and mark the spots before and after bending. good luck.

Unread 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #13
K-JUN
is one Smokin' Farker

I remember reading a post a while back. Someone recommended using folded shop towels all around the rim of the drum. Then hammering the lid down with a rubber hammer to stretch the lid rim a bit. I haven't tried but it might help.

Brady

Cajun Grill by Percy Guidry; 22.5" WSM; GMG Daniel Boone; Crown Verity Gaser
K-JUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
ajstrider
is one Smokin' Farker

I would not worry about this at all unless you were having crazy temperature issues, which I couldn't imagine happening. Door leakage on a horizontal smoker might be an issue, but that is the beauty of a vertical smoker, by then it has passed the meat and done its thing already. One of the real benefits of a UDS is the smoke pretty much has to make its way passed the meat cooking, unless you have put some crazy holes in the side of it for something.

Best advice, stop worrying about the minute details and enjoy cooking. It is a UDS, not some $4000 cooker, it is meant to be that way!

Unread 05-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #15
Just BS
Take a breath!

Cook more pork butts in it. As the grease builds up it will start to seal up better. In the interim, I used two cinder blocks. Its also a good place to set your Maverick ET 732 ( you do have one of those, right?) So it doesn't get too hot on the lid of your UDS.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote