The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
uncblue
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default 2nd Butt Smoke - 32 lbs - Ya'll Rock!!

Getting ready for Mother's Day weekend & family visits. The advice on here is spot on! Rcvd my Maverick E732 today AWESOME!!! Also my new vision lava stone diffuser AND my Plowboys Yardbird Rub. Followed the Chris Lilly injection marinade with a couple additions, a light coat of German brown mustard then the Plowboys. The Vision clasdic has Wicked Good lump with applewood chunks.. On smoker @ 6:30 & now laying in bed looking @ a 192 grill temp & butts @ 158. Love not having to get up to check.

Thanks again for all of the info... Amazing resource...
uncblue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
uncblue

Quick question. Decided to bump up to 250ish range to move out of the stall after 190ish so I could remove in 5-6 hrs. Went from 190ish to 250ish range but grill probe climbed to 342 despite dome temp gauge staying in the 250-275 range. U think probe lost calibration? Think the jack may have come a little loose

Thoughts?

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

I think you should be ok. I cook at 275 to 325 to cut down on time anyway.

When the bone gets loose, you'll know it's done.

Has the IT of the meat changed?
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #4
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

He must have went to sleep...
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #5
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncblue View Post
Quick question. Decided to bump up to 250ish range to move out of the stall after 190ish so I could remove in 5-6 hrs. Went from 190ish to 250ish range but grill probe climbed to 342 despite dome temp gauge staying in the 250-275 range. U think probe lost calibration? Think the jack may have come a little loose

Thoughts?
Don't trust the dome thermometer. If the Maverick reads 212* in boiling water, it is accuate. The actual grate temperature is usually different than the dome temp.
Yoder Smokers YS1500, Kamado Joe BigJoe & Joe Jr., Yoder Smokers 24" Firepit, Weber: 18.5" OT (L), SJG (AU) & (DI) - Past Cookers: Yoder Smokers YS640 Comp Cart, Kamado Joe Classic, OKJoe's Longhorn, UDS, Weber: Performer(AA), Genesis Gold C(DH), 22.5" OTG(DI), 22.5" OT (L), Traeger Junior, ECB

Runner-up in the 2014 BBQ Brethren Beard Tussle . My Son won the 2014 "peach fuzz" category
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
nucornhusker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-10-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would trust the Maverick more than the dome thermo

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
uncblue

Hey guys. What a day!! I wish I was sleeping when u posted. I had already dropped the pup off @ vet by then & was heading back for meetings. Turns out when the cable on the probe came out of the jack a little that was the culprit. Finally around 4 with the Mav high temp alarm beeping, I opened it up & pulled the probe out to cool, unplugged, and reinstalled. Dropped 100 degrees and worked like a charm. Pulled 1st butt around 8:30 @ 207 and the other 3 went til 11 to hit 200. Pulled & chopped the 1st butt for lunch & others rested in cooler for several hrs.