The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-14-2013, 09:45 PM   #1
Faston
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default BBQ Brethren Superb Help Thanks!!

I had some experience Q'n from years ago but have forgotten so much. My Q tasted good but I never knew how much better it could be. For starters all the internal thermometers I owned were absolute junk. So I splurged and got a super fast red therapen and a RT600C as a backup. Much to my amazement the $20 RT600C is so accurate & fast I could get along just fine without the therapen but nobody's taking my therapen!! Of course the probe test, bend test, etc. will always be the final word a fast accurate thermo is a wonderful tool.

Pulled my 2nd turkey off the grate when the deep thigh meat was 165. I thought the breast would be dry but the connective tissue in the thigh/leg was not ready.

1st pork butt I overshot the temp but should have checked the bone adhesion earlier. Still was surprisingly moist though.

2nd 8 lb pork butt I foiled at 166 and later int temp of 195, bone was not ready! At 200 int bone released so I wrapped w/foil, saran wrap, warm towels & placed in preheated cooler for 3 hrs more. Smoker temp was 275-300, total cook 8 hrs + 3 hrs wrap. Meat was still 172 when pulled from cooler 3 hrs later, grand total 11 hrs for everything.

Guests arrived, I pulled the pork and served dinner. Now I am an absolute greenhorn here and I am sure most of yours would have blown mine away... But everyone gorged themselves on the pork, we had tons of good sides left over. The real kicker was when I went to serve fresh strawberry shortcake with ice cream - nobody had room to fit it in.

I promise to plan a little better & take pics next round but I am still a little overwhelmed keeping up with everything. I'll fill you in on some more embarrassing screw ups later.

My sincere thanks to all the kind generous folks of the Brethren who so unselfishly are will to share what probably took them many years to learn (for me probably decades). You have helped me revive an old hobby and made it an absolute blast!!

Next assignment, grill New Your Strips (Ah, Oh, looks like an excuse for a new or CL griller!)

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #2
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

And it only gets better.

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1

Sounds like you had a great party :)
www.locked-n-loadedbar-b-q.com
Backwoods Maze
XL Green Egg
Large Green Egg
Backwoods G2 Party
22.5 WSM
BBQ Guru
tyotrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Brother I have made many many more mistakes than you. Trust me on this one.
We are here to help each other out. You must ask and you shall receive, way to many fine folks here and we are all willing to help you out.

I am thrilled that your guests were happy with your food.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #5
aawa
Babbling Farker

Greenhorn or not, it is about serving good Q to friends and family and having a good time for most of us. Welcome to the community here and good job with your cook!

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #6
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

Great story, and right on the mark..........the folks here are fantastic!

Good Q with family and friends, tough to beat.

KC

Unread 05-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #7
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great job on the party.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314