• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

A little Porterhouse Pron

1MoreFord

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've been meaning to post dinner the other night.:oops:

Found a nicely marbled little Porterhouse the other day and salted it down for the 1 hour per 1 inch of steak dry brine method and you can still see a few grains melting away.

DSC_2231.jpg

Plated with a sweet 'tater for the nightly veggie fiber ration.

DSC_2242.jpg

Photo's taken with a D40 and a Siggie 30mm f1.4 @ F2

Last edited:
You done good Joe! Love that meat cut. You done it good.

Porterhouse is my favorite cut & you rocked it!

Love a good salted steak! Makes it taste so much better

Thank you everyone for the compliments.:bow:

I salted it pretty heavily and did rinse it before cooking and patted it dry. Then seasoned it about 1/2 as much as usual with TexJoy steak seasoning. Actually it was like normal on 1 side only. Thankfully I learned the lesson of not to season like usual on a cheaper cut of steak.:doh:

I've got a nice thick strip steak I'm going to do on a nice hot CI griddle next with the same salt trick. I'm sold on this method now. Tasted fully seasoned all the way through every bite.:grin:

I'm also going to try something similar with a boston butt cooked as a pork roast on the gasser over this weekend.

I was thinking about a trip to the butcher yesterday to see if I could find a nice porterhouse ... unfortunately 'life' got in the way, maybe next time :roll:

I also use that method for salting my beef, works out great every time.

Great cook!

Joe, do you do your dry brine at room temperature or put in the fridge? Looked great, and I'd like to try this technique.

looks delicious!

someone care to share this salting method?

Gladly

nice hunk of beef.

Unbelievably this came out of Kroger's regular meat case. Not even from the fancy butcher case there.

Joe, do you do your dry brine at room temperature or put in the fridge? Looked great, and I'd like to try this technique.

The salt method is really simple.

Generously salt down both sides of the steak and allow 1 hour per inch of steak thickness. I've also seen some folks call it 15 minutes per 1/4" of thickness. It's just a matter of semantics and how you best think of it.

After salting I leave it out to warm up to room temp so it cooks more evenly because I like a nice fully warm interior. Of course if you like a heavily crusted exterior and rare/med. rare steak you can put it back in the fridge to keep it cold.

Back