The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Fresh Mexican Chorizo Casings

So I went to a Mexican grocery store down the road looking for Cinco de Mayo stuff for this most recent trade round and ended up bringing home almost two pounds of fresh chorizo. They make it in store there, and the casings are a bit "veiny" looking.

Do you guys who have had this kind of fresh sausage usually eat the casing like you would a bratwurst, or is it suppose to be split and cooked crumbled up? Didn't know what that casing might do when it is cooked since it isn't the real clean looking kind I'm use to. Maybe it is just the chitterlings from the pig and not just the intestine lining because I have never seen veiny hog casings on a sausage before.

But can I just grille these up and serve em on a bun like a brat or do I need to smoke them or something? Or crumble up and make a stew or burger patty with them? It's not like it was expensive and if it is not that good I won't be killed, but as good as the stuff smells fresh it should taste good as long as I get the cooking of it and/or the casing nailed down.

Unread 05-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

When I buy fresh Mexican chorizo I take it out of the casings, cook it and then drain the grease. Mexican chorizo is great in scrambled eggs IMHO. When doing Spanish chorizo it is pre cooked and I slice it for paella.
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #3
BobBrisket

What kind of casing does it have? There are lots of variations of "chorizo." The Mexican one any way. It also depends on the fat content in it. A pic would help. I've bought chorizo in natural casing that can be grilled like a brat, but a bit fattier. Most times they pack it in a plastic casing. That means remove the casing and cook it in the skillet then add stuff to it like eggs, etc. Or you can the chorizo to other stuff.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

The casing is definitely natural, not plastic. Just didn't know if it would be chewy or stringy if I grilled it and ate it like a brat. They are still in the back of the fridge so I gotta use em soon no matter what I do! I got some quail in the fridge but they are so so little. Don't know if stuffing them with the chorizo would help at all on the overcooking problem. Never cooked quail.

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have seen those around here, I normally strip the casing. But, you can cook them, they cook up fine. I happen to just normally like chorizo loose.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-13-2013, 08:09 PM   #6
ekamm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Either way is great. If you cook it whole do it kinda slow and make sure you get it done. right off the grill in a corn tortilla that you warmed on the grill is awesome, and you might as well go with some carne asada from the same store. While your at it grill some cebollitas(small onions) and a few chilli's. If you do split the casing and fry it loose. again the corn tortilla and some chopped onion and cilantro.

Unread 05-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
realspaazz
Take a breath!

If you cook them in the casings and decide that you don't like the casings, it is not too hard to peel the casing away after they are cooked. I usually just split the casings and fry them up loose in a pan.