MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Favorite PIzza dough

I got my new Kitchenaid mixer in the mail the other day. I want to try a pizza dough out tomorrow.

Give me your quick pizza dough recipes along with some that take a day or so to accomplish (with dough rising).
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
Hcs
On the road to being a farker

This is the recipe I use it takes some time but well it!

For the dough

1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water*100˚ to 110˚
4 cups unbleached “00” flour (see note) or unbleached all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons fine sea salt
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for bowl
For the topping:

1 (28-ounce) can whole San Marzano tomatoes, passed with juices through a food mill
12 ounces Mozzarella di Bufala (see note) or mozzarella fior di latte cheese, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
4 large or 8 small basil leaves
Extra virgin olive oil
Medium coarse sea salt
Special equipemnt: a pizza stone and peel

Make the dough: Sprinkle yeast over water; let stand until yeast is creamy, 5 to 10 minutes. (If yeast does not become creamy, discard and start over with new yeast.)

In a large bowl, whisk together flour and salt; form a well in center. Add yeast mixture and oil; stir until dough just comes together. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead vigorously, for 10 minutes. Cover with a damp dishtowel and let rest for 10 minutes, then knead vigorously for 10 minutes more. Lightly oil a large bowl. Form dough into a ball, transfer to bowl and turn to lightly coat with oil. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Punch down dough with your fist (dough will be stiff), then fold sides over one another, turn dough, tightly cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to 24 hours.

Divide dough into 4 pieces; shape pieces into balls and place on a lightly floured work surface, leaving a few inches between balls. Loosely cover with a damp dishtowel (not terry cloth) and let rise at warm room temperature until doubled, about 2 hours; time may vary depending on room temperature and freshness of yeast. If skin forms on dough while rising, lightly spray surface with water.

Heat Stone While Dough Rises: Position rack in lower third of oven. Place pizza stone on rack. At least 45 minutes before baking pizza, heat oven to maximum temperature (500˚ to 550˚).

Assemble Pizza: On a lightly floured work surface, press 1 dough ball with your fingers to begin to shape into a round. Use your fist and hands to gently stretch dough to a 10-inch round. (A floured rolling pin can be used to help roll out dough.) Transfer dough to a lightly floured peel; gently shake peel to make sure dough does not stick.

Working fairly quickly, spread a 1/3 cup sauce over dough, leaving about a 1/2 -inch border. Tear 3 ounces cheese into pieces and arrange on top of sauce. Tear 1 or 2 basil leaves into small pieces and arrange on top. Drizzle very lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt. Slide pizza onto stone. Bake until cheese is melted and bubbling in spots and edge of dough is crisp and golden, about 7 minutes. Using the peel and a large spatula or pair of tongs, transfer pizza to a plate and serve. Repeat with remaining ingredients.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Can bakers flour be used?

I have to get a pizza stone yet

Old 05-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #4
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

http:// http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158980

And NO Never use baking Flour for any bread recipies. It is specifically designed for cakes. Use a high gluten bread Flour.
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2013, 11:40 PM   #5
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

There was a pizza dough thread not long ago.
I use the standard
500g flour-King Arthur bread flour, or Better for Bread, 00 is great but hard for me to find
325g room temp H2O
1/2 teaspoon quick rise yeast
1 and 1/2 tsp non-ionized salt
stir in mixer, mix on 2 2minutes, mix on high 4 minutes, mix on 2 2 minutes
let rise 1.5 hours until doubled in size
portion out into three equal balls
fridge overnight is best but if not let rerise another 1.5 hours

this makes a great crust for my wood fired brick oven, rolled thin, cooked hot, sometimes I'll add a little more yeast just to get it extra bubbly

If you want some real in depth recipes consult any book by Peter Reinhart

Old 05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plakers View Post
There was a pizza dough thread not long ago.
I use the standard
500g flour-King Arthur bread flour, or Better for Bread, 00 is great but hard for me to find
325g room temp H2O
1/2 teaspoon quick rise yeast
1 and 1/2 tsp non-ionized salt
stir in mixer, mix on 2 2minutes, mix on high 4 minutes, mix on 2 2 minutes
let rise 1.5 hours until doubled in size
portion out into three equal balls
fridge overnight is best but if not let rerise another 1.5 hours

this makes a great crust for my wood fired brick oven, rolled thin, cooked hot, sometimes I'll add a little more yeast just to get it extra bubbly

If you want some real in depth recipes consult any book by Peter Reinhart
I don't have a scale is there a way to get it into volume measurements?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Here is Peter's recipe, I don't add oil or sugar. Be careful to add the salt at the end of the mixing as it will kill the Yeast!

4½ cups (20.25 ounces) unbleached high-gluten, bread, or all-purpose flour, chilled 1¾ teaspoons (.44 ounce) salt 1 teaspoon (.11 ounce) instant yeast ¼ cup (2 ounces) olive or vegetable oil (optional) 1¾ cups (14 ounces) water, ice cold (40°F)

Stir together the flour, salt, and instant yeast in a 4-quart bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer). With a large metal spoon, stir in the oil and the cold water until the flour is all absorbed (or mix on low speed with the paddle attachment). If you are mixing by hand, repeatedly dip one of your hands or the metal spoon into cold water and use it, much like a dough hook, to work the dough vigorously into a smooth mass while rotating the bowl in a circular motion with the other hand. Reverse the circular motion a few times to develop the gluten further. Do this for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and the ingredients are evenly distributed. If you are using an electric mixer, switch to the dough hook and mix on medium speed for 5 to 7 minutes, or as long as it takes to create a smooth, sticky dough. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl but stick to the bottom of the bowl.

The finished dough will be springy, elastic, and sticky, not just tacky, and register 50° to 55°F. 2. Sprinkle flour on the counter and transfer the dough to the counter. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with baking parchment and misting the parchment with spray oil (or lightly oil the parchment). Using a metal dough scraper, cut the dough into 6 equal pieces (or larger if you are comfortable shaping large pizzas). You can dip the scraper into the water between cuts to keep the dough from sticking to it. Sprinkle flour over the dough. Make sure your hands are dry and then flour them. Lift each piece and gently round it into a ball. If the dough sticks to your hands, dip your hands into the flour again. Transfer the dough balls to the sheet pan. Mist the dough generously with spray oil and slip the pan into a food-grade plastic bag.

3. Put the pan into the refrigerator overnight to rest the dough, or keep for up to 3 days. (Note: If you want to save some of the dough for future baking, you can store the dough balls in a zippered freezer bag. Dip each dough ball into a bowl that has a few tablespoons of oil in it, rolling the dough in the oil, and then put each ball into a separate bag. You can place the bags into the freezer for up to 3 months. Transfer them to the refrigerator the day before you plan to make pizza.)

4. On the day you plan to make the pizza, remove the desired number of dough balls from the refrigerator 2 hours before making the pizza. Dust the counter with flour, and then mist the counter with spray oil. Place the dough balls on top of the floured counter and sprinkle them with flour dust your hands with flour. Gently press the dough into flat disks about ½ inch thick and 5 inches in diameter. Sprinkle the dough with flour, mist it again with spray oil, and cover the dough loosely with plastic wrap or a food-grade plastic bag. Let rest for 2 hours.

5. At least 45 minutes before making the pizza, place a baking stone either on the floor of the oven (for gas ovens), or on a rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat the oven as hot as possible, up to 800°F (most home ovens will go only to 500° to 550°F, but some will go higher). If you do not have a baking stone, you can use the back of a sheet pan, but do not preheat the pan.

6. Generously dust a peel or the back of a sheet pan with semolina flour or cornmeal. Make the pizzas one at a time. Dip your hands, including the backs of your hands and knuckles, in flour and lift 1 piece of dough by getting under it with a pastry scraper. Very gently lay the dough across your fists and carefully stretch it by bouncing the dough in a circular motion on your hands, carefully giving it a little stretch with each bounce. If it begins to stick to your hands, lay it down on the floured counter and reflour your hands, then continue shaping it. Once the dough has expanded outward, move to a full toss. If you have trouble tossing the dough, or if the dough keeps springing back, let it rest for 5 to 20 minutes so the gluten can relax, and try again. You can also resort to using a rolling pin, though this isn’t as effective as the toss method.

This is the Gospel according to;

Reinhart, Peter (2011-04-06). The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread (Kindle Locations 4597-4604). Random House, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Favorite Pizza Dough recipe

1/2 cup sourdough starter
1 cup bottled water
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 -3 cups AP flour

add 75% of the flour to the K/A bowl along with every thing else mix on 3 until it comes together and allow to rest fro 20 min
start the mixer on low and mix for 6 min on low to develop the gluten
add small amounts of flour 2-3 tbl at a time until it is barely sticking to the bottom of the bowl.
Lightly spray the inside of a Zip bag with cooing spray drop the dough into the bag and stash in the refer overnight Up to 5 days.
An hr before you want Pizza remove the dough from the refer pull it from the bag and knead for 2-3 min and allow to rest 1 hr. before forming your pie

Thanks from:--->