Need a consult....

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Guys, the HIghland BBQ contest is putting together a BBQ judging class. For april 1. I've only been q'ing a couple of years, but been eating most of my life. Would it be wrong to show interest in this and go get KCBS judge certified? Don't want to be a hinderance to the event, but really kind of interested. Scott

Yakfishingfool said:
Guys, the HIghland BBQ contest is putting together a BBQ judging class. For april 1. I've only been q'ing a couple of years, but been eating most of my life. Would it be wrong to show interest in this and go get KCBS judge certified? Don't want to be a hinderance to the event, but really kind of interested. Scott

Scott,

Go take the class and judge the event. They would be happy to have you judge. If you ever decide to compete, a judging class is something that you need to understand what the judges are looking for. You are exactly the type of person they are looking for. It's alot of fun, so go and enjoy yourself.

Yes!!! Go to the KCBS Judging Class. It is well worth the time and money. It can help you smoke better and know what the judges are looking for in comps by KCBS.
Smoke On!!!!
ed

Just yesterday, my wife and I received our KCBS judge pins and certificates... I think we'll judge something this year sometime someplace, but the idea was to learn what judges are told to judge, then try to get better with my cooking and her presentation. We want to judge at least once to see what other teams are turning in so we can kind of compare what we're doing.

so I would say go for it. It's also an excuse to go to a comp that's a bit farther away than you'd want to drive to compete. Though my wife thinks it gives her license to judge everything I do, not just my barbecue...

Agreed with all these folks, Scott. Go get certified and judge it! You won't be a hindrance if you pay close attention to what they teach you. PLUS the reason most of these contests sponsor CBJ classes immediately prior to the contest is to increase the pool of knowledgeable judges available to them. If I understand you correctly, what you're wanting to do is exactly what they want you to do! Have fun!

Go get certified. It will teach you alot about what the judges are looking for when you compete. It's also a lot of fun and you get to eat a lot of Q. And you meet fellow BBQ folks. It's worth your time only for that.

I think it helps every cook to take the class and judge as much as you can. I try to judge one contest every season. There is going to be a judging class before the Lake Placid contest, yours truly is cooking for it.

I'd go too.

But be careful.

Since its April 1st, they may serve Spam as a joke.

Yakfishingfool said:
mmmmm...grilled spam. I think I'm part hawaiin. Good stuff served grilled. S
Another good man gone :biggrin:

Back