MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
bunzomatic1
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Tri-Tip and Chicken quantity Help

Hello--

I am looking for a little advice.. I was asked by a good friend to cater an event he is hosting with 40-50 adults. He wants tri-tip, and chicken (lemon herb bonless breasts), rice pilaf, and green beans. I have done this in the past, but never really paid good attention to quantities, only made sure that there was enough..way too much actually.
Questions :
What is the best way to figure potions of meat..is there a general rule of thumb? How about if 2 meats are offered? Do you calculate with uncooked weight? Whest the best portion size? etc..ect...
What about portion size for sides?

If anyone out there can offer some advice I would really appreciate it...
Thanks from a newbie!
JW
bunzomatic1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Don't do it, turn back, save yourself, it's not too late...okay

Well, you have to look at the overall meal, how many sides etc...fewer sides needs more meat etc...I would look at the fact that there are two meats, and figure 1/3 pound total cooked meat serving per person in a normal meal situation. This allows for men who eat more and women who eat less. If it is all men, go 1/2 pound cooked meat per person (shave the side portions, as men tend to eat meat and don't eat as much of the sides).

Tri-tip cooked yield loss is about 15% of weight to medium rare, 20% for medium.
Chicken is around 30% of weight to proper temperature.

Assume 50 adults by 1/3 pound serving, you need 17 pounds of meat total. Split the difference, you end up with 8.5 pounds of meat of each type.

8.5 pounds x 1.20=10 pounds of tr-tip raw
8.5 pounds x 1.30=11 pounds raw boneless chicken

Thus you need to buy at least 10 pounds of trimmed tri-tip and 11 pounds of boneless chicken. This would be for full sides or sandwiches. If you are doing a meat and two meal, with say beans and slaw, tack on another 4 to 5 pounds to the meat order.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
bunzomatic1

Thank you so much. Your help in invaluable. Everything seems to make sense, except the bottom

Quote:
Thus you need to buy at least 10 pounds of trimmed tri-tip and 11 pounds of boneless chicken. This would be for full sides or sandwiches. If you are doing a meat and two meal, with say beans and slaw, tack on another 4 to 5 pounds to the meat order.
Could you clarify "full sides"? Im guessing that "a meat and two meal" is a meat and 2 sides..?? Why am I adding more meat if I am having 2 sides...?? I must be misunderstanding..
Also, is there a general "rule of thumb" for sides? Rice Pilaf and Green beans?

Thank you again!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
landarc

If you offer two sides, often the meat gets hit very hard and the sides do not. The exception being mac-n-cheese. Most of the times that I have done tri-tip and chicken, I have been asked to provide beans, salsa and slaw. I end up with lots of beans and slaw, and people asking about more meat.

If there is a table with several sides, then people tend to fill up a little more mindlessly, especially if there are things like little sausages, potato salad, mac-n-cheese etc...you can then use less meat. If I am starting a meal off, I like to throw smoked sausage and chips and salsa out there, start filling people a bit. If you just do two sides and meat, people really chow on the meat, often completely ignoring the beans.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
bunzomatic1

Ahhh... I see. You are so wise. That does make sense. Again, you have been most helpful and it is so much appreciated. Time to head to Costco and fire up the UDS!!
Old 05-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #6
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

bump that chicken up, you will run out..
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Bbq Bubba

only thing i'll add is i wouldn't order chicken by the pound but by the piece if your serving pre portioned breast fillets.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->