The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
Atlasman
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Trimming Ribs

Is this just a cosmetic thing for all you guys?? Making a nice straight cut down a full rack to create a St. Louis rack or is there more to it then that??

What I mean is can you get disqualified for trimming ribs wrong and leaving some of the breast plate in there or even any additional cartilage pieces at all??

I was offered a rib by a FINE cook with lots of trophies and wins and it had some cartilage in it past the end of the rib bone. I thought this was a major no-no.

Thanks.
Atlasman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #2
bignburlyman
Full Fledged Farker

It would not be a violation of the rules to turn in untrimmed spares. It "might" hurt the appearance if they don't look good in the box. The judges would probably take their bites from the main bone part of the rib so the cartilage would not affect tenderness, at least my opinion. You may get judge #6 and get punished for it though, lol.

Edit to add: At least not a violation for KCBS, I don't know the rules of the other governing bodies.
CBJ & CTC #5112
Kansas Winter Q BBQ Committee

Traeger Texas 075
ECB (retired)
bignburlyman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

What he said. keith

Unread 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
hogzgonewild
Full Fledged Farker

I've always been taught, start at the top of the tallest rib bone and make a straight line all the way across, so the rack is as tall as the tallest bone.

That would mean that every other rib in that rack would have some cartilage past the end of the bones.
hogzgonewild is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yup.... ^^^THAT^^^ is how we trim spares too. When they're all squared off, you're going to have some bones shorter than others and as a result, there will definitely be some cartilage in the rack.

You can trim that off, of course, but then you don't get consistently same sized bones in the box. I don't think that scores as well for appearance.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote