ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-04-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Question 4 Competitors

Hi,

Here is the general concept: A normal two day BBQ contest that is a benefit for a charity. The charity accepts $ donations (50 bucks? 75?) in exchange for a member of the public to 'cook with a team', which would amount to them spending 3 hours or so with the team the day before turn-ins.

The donor gets to learn a bit about BBQ, gets a tee-shirt, gets to taste some food and maybe a rack of ribs to take home. The food is provided by the organizer.

The team donates their time and energy for a few hours hanging out with the donor, talking BBQ, offering tips, etc.

This could potentially be a significant fundraising boon without being too onerous for the team.

Would this be something that you would be willing to do for a cause you believed in?

Obviously, we are speaking in fairly general terms. Specifics would have to be determined.

Thanks!

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
The team donates their time and energy for a few hours hanging out with the donor, talking BBQ, offering tips, etc.

Would this be something that you would be willing to do for a cause you believed in?
We would have no problem with it...we would probably have to pay the person the $50 for then to cook with us!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Hanging out yes, cooking ribs not going to happen. But I'd suggest Friday noon to 9 and minimum of 100. They eat what we do for dinner. Want to hang out Saturday inimum of 250. For that they sample comp meats after box goes in.

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Pole D
Full Fledged Farker

That is a great idea. Especially if its just Friday, I don't see a problem at all.
Pole D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
motoeric
Babbling Farker

We wouldn't want to impose on any team on the day of turn-ins.

Ford, were you serious about the 9 hours? I was thinking of three hours as you can tolerate almost anyone for 3 hours. Especially for charity.

Does $75 seam reasonable?

Thanks!

Eric

Unread 05-04-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Hanging out isn't going to cut it - if you advertise to the public that they will "Cook with a team", they will expect to participate in some cooking. I'd suggest you do some sort of grilled ancillary Friday night. That way the ticket holder will actually be involved in the competition, and not simply a voyeur.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
motoeric
Babbling Farker

In our area we almost invariably have a grilling contest on the day before the BBQ, but that's a good point.

Eric

Unread 05-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #8
BBQ_MAFIA
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I think it could be a fun was to raise money for a good cause.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #9
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Sounds like fun....
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #10
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Yea, that sound like a great idea. I have a spin on that though. Why not $50 for a sample plate of the 4 categories at 1:30 Saturday? They eat, can try more than one teams food, and the team isn't put out at all.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, FAB, Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team) and BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ
Special thanks to Snake River Farms for the their support as well.
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I like the idea. But I definitely think there needs to be some kind of special category that the Donor cooks "under the tuteledge" or "mentorship" of the participating comp team.

The contest provides the meat (something that takes less than a couple hours to cook...Pork Steaks maybe?). Donor gets to use the team's gear and cooker and pick their brains for ideas on cook times, seasoning, presentation, etc.

Then set it up as a People's Choice judging. Sell tickets for a couple of bucks each and let the donor tell all the folks who come by about how they cooked their entry, what the did and why they think theirs is the best. Similar to an MBN, onsite judging.

And of course the donor has to help clean up afterwards.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Yea, that sound like a great idea. I have a spin on that though. Why not $50 for a sample plate of the 4 categories at 1:30 Saturday? They eat, can try more than one teams food, and the team isn't put out at all.
This is good too.

Unread 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

OK, once again I'll be that guy.. I don't like the idea at all. I think that asking a team to donate 3 hours of their time at/during a contest for what amounts to a personal class is not fair to the teams.

Many teams these days teach various classes throughout the year to help support them. Some charge hundreds of dollars p/p to attend a class of 40. I don't know of one that would be willing to teach a personal one on one for $75-100. Depending on the caliber of the team, that kind of service might be easily be worth 15-20 times that amount. In addition you are asking the teams to provide everything without any chance of return. I understand the charity fundraiser aspect but if teams are getting used as free labor it shouldn't cost them anything.

I do like the idea of educating the public at an event. What about lining up say 5-10 pitmasters that would teach class for that amount? I think you could raise a large sum that way without infringing on the teams too much.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-05-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
OK, once again I'll be that guy.. I don't like the idea at all. I think that asking a team to donate 3 hours of their time at/during a contest for what amounts to a personal class is not fair to the teams.

Many teams these days teach various classes throughout the year to help support them. Some charge hundreds of dollars p/p to attend a class of 40. I don't know of one that would be willing to teach a personal one on one for $75-100. Depending on the caliber of the team, that kind of service might be easily be worth 15-20 times that amount. In addition you are asking the teams to provide everything without any chance of return. I understand the charity fundraiser aspect but if teams are getting used as free labor it shouldn't cost them anything.

I do like the idea of educating the public at an event. What about lining up say 5-10 pitmasters that would teach class for that amount? I think you could raise a large sum that way without infringing on the teams too much.
I get what you're saying.

I guess, for me anyway, I'm not "champion enough" to consider my "knowledge and experience" worth a couple hundred bucks to impose my opinion about cooking on someone else. Most of the teams I encounter at competitions seem to feel pretty much the same but then, maybe I just hang out with the "losers".

As long as it doesn't impinge on my time or energy required for the competition itself, I'm happy to do it. If I can share my passion for cooking with someone else who enjoys it as much and wants to experience something that I really love AND I can help out a good cause at the same time without it costing me any more money (which frankly is always somewhat of an issue for me at comps), then it's the classic "win-win".

But you're right. It should be voluntary on the team's part and not a mandatory requirement.

Unread 05-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #15
motoeric
Babbling Farker

In no way would this be mandatory for any team and the only expense to the team would be if they wished to share some food that they were cooking for the team. The organizer would provide the donor with a rack of ribs to take home, a shirt and some other swag.

The donor would just be made welcome by the team the day before turn-ins, hopefully during a less competitive, fun ancillary event (grilling, chili, etc.).

This would also not be the equivalent of a structured class, more like an informal introduction to BBQ.

The donation to the charity could be made directly by the donor, so it would be tax deductible.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! All thoughts are welcome and appreciated.

Eric