The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 05-04-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker
 
The Anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-03-07
Location: Narragansett RI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default UDS meets Weber

Building a UDS and was wondering if any one has ever used an 18 inch weber base for the charcoal basket instead of building one. I have an old 18 inch Smokey Joe Platinum hanging around... Just thinking of re-purposing, not lazy just resourceful.

Thoughts?
__________________
Ray Depot, The Anchorman
The Anchormen, Rhode Island's Original Competition BBQ Team.
The BBQ TITANS

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
el_matt
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 12-08-09
Location: Turlock, California
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

It would probably work. Only problem I foresee is capacity. Were you planning on building up the sides a bit, to allow for more charcoal?

Matt
__________________
22.5 OTS(H), 22.5 OTG(DA), 22.5 Daisy Wheel Kettle(EE), NBBD, UDS, MUDS, 6-burner gasser
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 04:08 PM   #3
The Anchorman
is One Chatty Farker
 
The Anchorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-03-07
Location: Narragansett RI
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

how about a WSM Bottom?
__________________
Ray Depot, The Anchorman
The Anchormen, Rhode Island's Original Competition BBQ Team.
The BBQ TITANS

BWS Party, Chubby, WSM, 4 Kettles, 3 Performers, 1 Smokey Joe Platininum, Weber Genisis B, 2 Grey Thermopens
KCBS CBJ
The Anchorman is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Bludawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-09
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I think you will have low temp issues ( not getting enough air to the coals)
__________________
I never met a Cow that I didn't like with a little Salt & Pepper! Certified PORK-A-HOLIC
Bludawg is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
1911Ron
is One Chatty Farker

 
1911Ron's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-12
Location: Ft. Mudge, Az
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I think you will have low temp issues ( not getting enough air to the coals)
Yep, what he said!
__________________
Old Rifles, Cast Iron and other things i spend my money on!
1911Ron is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker
 
Pitmaster T's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-03-11
Location: Dickinson, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Geeze! Uds and Weber are nothing more than a larger and or more rounded version of the PBC. Except they came first... which really is irrelevant to the sequencing of the PBC as the inspiration to both the UDS and the Weber anything. Only idiots that think of time as a linear concept would fall into the myth that the UDS and Weber were here first... that and the people that think time only goes forward.... it of course goes reverse and inward to outward from both directions at once.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #7
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

 
Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-03-12
Location: Gastonia North Carolina
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Geeze! Uds and Weber are nothing more than a larger and or more rounded version of the PBC. Except they came first... which really is irrelevant to the sequencing of the PBC as the inspiration to both the UDS and the Weber anything. Only idiots that think of time as a linear concept would fall into the myth that the UDS and Weber were here first... that and the people that think time only goes forward.... it of course goes reverse and inward to outward from both directions at once.
We need you to breathe in less white smoke and more of the thin blue stuff!!







__________________
My arsenal, Stumps Clone, Two Modified offsets, open pit with grate and rotisserie,UDS, and a free to me Weber One Touch Silver 18.5" kettle
Garrett is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Wyley
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-04-09
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yes it will work. It is what I have done. I had one that was useless because of misuse by the person I got it from. I cut the bottom of the base out below the charcoal grate supports, then I drilled a bunch of holes around the remaining base. I use the original charcoal grate and made an expanded metal ring to sit on top of that. I made some legs out of aluminum strapping and mounted it about 3 inches above a pizza pan to use as an ash catcher. Even with the metal handles still on it if fits exactly into my UDS.

Hope this helps,
Wyley is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
moe1967
Is lookin for wood to cook with.
 
Join Date: 09-03-12
Location: Louisiana
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyley View Post
Yes it will work. It is what I have done. I had one that was useless because of misuse by the person I got it from. I cut the bottom of the base out below the charcoal grate supports, then I drilled a bunch of holes around the remaining base. I use the original charcoal grate and made an expanded metal ring to sit on top of that. I made some legs out of aluminum strapping and mounted it about 3 inches above a pizza pan to use as an ash catcher. Even with the metal handles still on it if fits exactly into my UDS.

Hope this helps,
I did something very similar to this. it holds about 13lbs of fuel and will last about 15hrs at 250 degrees. I recently did a 13hr boston butt cook with it.

Just make sure you drill a bunch of 1/2" holes in it and you will be good to go
moe1967 is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts