Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
kirk fortin
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah on thing im trying to do as well is figure out the difference with my thermometer drilled into the top of my grill....what the temp is on that thermo and what the meat temp is. I do cook by eye an i kind of like it that way....i to be honest thought since everyone else has one...I guess i need one too. I mean food safety wise im always "done". Thats the thing about smoking i dont worry about the food being cooked past any unsafe temps. Well i think i will start going for tenderness touches with a skewer...wooden or metal does that matter? Thanks once again guys, this is much appreciated.
2008 WSM, 2000 Simpsons Smokey Joe, 2001 Platinum Blue Kettle, an 3 more i still have to identify.
kirk fortin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #17
Full Fledged Farker

I used to be a temp watcher ... both pit temp and internal temp.
Now I just cook to look and feel. Don't really care about stable temps in the pit. I'll let it swing anywhere between 225° and 300°
Cook to feel works wonders.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #18
is One Chatty Farker

I have the Maverick 732 and a Thermapen. They are different tools and it's not fair to say you need one or the other. The 732 lets me know where the pit is at and roughly the meat. When that meat probe ( ) tells me I'm close, I use the Thermapen to get the actual temp in multiple spots and see how it feels
18.5" WSM ; 22" Kettle ; Weber E-330 ; Weber Q200 (for tailgating)
NickTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #19
On the road to being a farker

I was about to ask this same question. I have a Bandera that I've used only 4 or 5 times a year for the last 10 years. I made the move to wood and have done most of the mods like fire bricks, fire grate, and deflector. I've replaced the temperature dial on the door with one out of a hardware store and use a meat thermometer to check temps occasionally. Just wondering if knowing the temps within my smoking chamber would be better than the lone dial on the front of the door. I hang with my smoker for the entire session, unless nature calls and it's not dark out I have to go inside for a minute.

After reading all the reviews on different electronic temperature devices, I was certain I had no idea which one to buy if any. After reading this thread I think I'll probably stay with the dial and swap meat from top to bottom to account for the temperature diffs like I have so far.

Friedturkeyspam is offline   Reply With Quote