The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
palehorse
On the road to being a farker
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-12
Location: Los Angeles CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Alternative Recipes - At COMP

Good Spring all...and hope to those for whom it isn’t, yet.

In June I am competing in a small local, but KCBS sanctioned competition. Most of the judges are KCBS, and this event is used to prepare lesser teams for bigger events, here on the West Coast.

My question is can you venture away from typical Kansas City Barbecue recipes to provide a different palate for the judges, and still hope to place well in the standings? How subjective is the judging?

In my research here, when it comes to brisket and chicken, there is an almost holy grail of what the judges are looking for, with little deviation. But in my prep, I came across a way to cook Spare Ribs in a blackberry-jalapeno based BBQ sauce. Not your standard fare, to be sure. Can a deviation like this prove positive?

I'm not asking ultimately if it's good or not, that's much too subjective. I'm only asking if it's common, and profitable to think outside the box when it comes to competition.

I will say, I did a Carolina BBQ sauce last year, and it didn't go over well. My gut says too much creativity is a harbinger of bad things to come, but there's wisdom in numbers. Play it safe, to greater success or Go Big! ...

Perhaps I should have made this a poll...
__________________
'Perfect Flame SLG Gasser' 'CharBroil American Gourmet (noSFB)' 'Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Kettle'
palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker
 
CivilWarBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Location: Cartersville, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Sadly, KCBS judges are looking for a specific flavor profile in a fairly narrow range. The more experience a judge has, the more they hone in on this "winning recipe". If you stray too far from this mark, you will be punished for your originality, as you saw when you tried the vinegar approach last year.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

 
big matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-10
Location: Banning,Ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yep keep it simple..blackberry based sauce is good and I used to use it when I first started(on chicken)as soon as I switched scores improved..can I ask what event it is your talking about?..what date and location?
__________________
_________________________________
JOS whole hog cooker
MAK 2 Star
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoa...440847709&_rdr
Our website:
http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

 
DUBBAGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-31-11
Location: Redlands, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
..can I ask what event it is your talking about?..what date and location?
Based on being a small local competition, my guess is either the CA Honey Harvest Festival in Fillmore (although some big teams are going there, so it might not be "small" enough), or the Burnt Offerings BBQ Invitational in Riverside (not on KCBS website, it isn't a full 4-meat contest, but affiliated with KCBS)
__________________
Green Card Q - Pitmaster (term used loosely)

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

 
big matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-10
Location: Banning,Ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Based on being a small local competition, my guess is either the CA Honey Harvest Festival in Fillmore (although some big teams are going there, so it might not be "small" enough), or the Burnt Offerings BBQ Invitational in Riverside (not on KCBS website, it isn't a full 4-meat contest, but affiliated with KCBS)
Yeah the Honey Harvest isn't going to be small..it's location is going to draw teams from both north and south..wouldn't be shocked to see 40+ at that event..the OP stated it was full KCBS and if it is we just might be there too.
__________________
_________________________________
JOS whole hog cooker
MAK 2 Star
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoa...440847709&_rdr
Our website:
http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.
 
Bigmista's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-04
Location: Long Beach, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Originality kills. Take it from Mr. Raspberry.
__________________
Wait! Bigmista wrote a cookbook?

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!



Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
ButchB
Full Fledged Farker
 
ButchB's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-12
Location: Rockingham, NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
Sadly, KCBS judges are looking for a specific flavor profile in a fairly narrow range. The more experience a judge has, the more they hone in on this "winning recipe". If you stray too far from this mark, you will be punished for your originality, as you saw when you tried the vinegar approach last year.
Man i'd love to have that "winning recipe"!
__________________
Backwoods Party, Rec Tec Pellet grill- https://www.facebook.com/ThePitQue
ButchB is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
palehorse
On the road to being a farker
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-12
Location: Los Angeles CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Indeed it is the Burnt Offerings Invitational. I recognize that it isn't a certified contest, but it's moving that direction as I understand it. It's slowly growing. There is a certified judges class to prep everyone in a couple of weeks.

Knowing that there is a 'standard', will keep me from chasing rainbows, at least for competition.

So, who wants to come over this weekend, I've got some blackberries and jalapeños I have to use now.

__________
EDIT: I do believe now that it is a licensed event, not sanctioned.
__________________
'Perfect Flame SLG Gasser' 'CharBroil American Gourmet (noSFB)' 'Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Kettle'

Last edited by palehorse; 04-30-2013 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Clarification on the type of competition
palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

 
Lake Dogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-14-09
Location: Lake Sinclair, GA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I've judged a few contests over the years... What they say above is accurate, but to an extent. Originality can be rewarded, BUT it still must fit into that narrow window, the one that's not too offensive to this person or that person. For example, vinegar is an acquired taste, so I would never expect everyone at any table to jump on a vinegar sauce thinking how wonderful it is... Same with any spice. Same with anything tart or overly sweet. I'd argue that the rasberry over-tarted some of the audience...

Seasoned judges LIKE something different. Mind you, the appearance still needs to say "THOU MUST EAT ME RIGHT NOW", and the tenderness must hit nirvana as the sanctioning body defines nirvana, but the taste, as long as it doesn't hit one of the "terrible too's" can and hopefully will be different, as long as it still tastes like BBQ of some sort, and as long as the wonderful taste doesnt mask the taste of the meat underneath; but actually enhances it.

Frankly, it's a very delicate balance to be had.

Might I suggest that rather trying the recipe at a competition that you try it on friends first, and have them do a side-by-side comparison and critique; your old/previous recipe vs. your new one. They'll love it (except the part where they cannot drink until the taste testing is complete). Have your own competition against yourself at home. Judges, are just people. Try to find someone that really likes a little food with their salt, and someone else who despises salty things. When these two folks agree on a winner, you have a winner!!!
__________________
Hance - Lake Dogs Cooking Team - MiM/MBN/GBA CBJ and comp cook
Lake Sinclair, GA (strategically about an hour from everywhere)
Lake Dogs is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #10
bruno994
On the road to being a farker
 
bruno994's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-12
Location: Buna, Texas
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Originality kills. Take it from Mr. Raspberry.
"I don't know what that taste is, but I damn sure can't get it out of my mouth."
__________________
Hale of a Good BBQ...Just say NO to bad BBQ...Pitmaster Apprentice...Custom built RF trailer pit...
bruno994 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

 
big matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-06-10
Location: Banning,Ca
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
I've judged a few contests over the years... What they say above is accurate, but to an extent. Originality can be rewarded, BUT it still must fit into that narrow window, the one that's not too offensive to this person or that person. For example, vinegar is an acquired taste, so I would never expect everyone at any table to jump on a vinegar sauce thinking how wonderful it is... Same with any spice. Same with anything tart or overly sweet. I'd argue that the rasberry over-tarted some of the audience...

Seasoned judges LIKE something different. Mind you, the appearance still needs to say "THOU MUST EAT ME RIGHT NOW", and the tenderness must hit nirvana as the sanctioning body defines nirvana, but the taste, as long as it doesn't hit one of the "terrible too's" can and hopefully will be different, as long as it still tastes like BBQ of some sort, and as long as the wonderful taste doesnt mask the taste of the meat underneath; but actually enhances it.

Frankly, it's a very delicate balance to be had.

Might I suggest that rather trying the recipe at a competition that you try it on friends first, and have them do a side-by-side comparison and critique; your old/previous recipe vs. your new one. They'll love it (except the part where they cannot drink until the taste testing is complete). Have your own competition against yourself at home. Judges, are just people. Try to find someone that really likes a little food with their salt, and someone else who despises salty things. When these two folks agree on a winner, you have a winner!!!
This sums it up very well..like how you mention balance and that's exactly what I want to give the judges..smokey,salty,sweet,savory and spicy all wrapped into a nice marriage of flavor..good BBQ is good BBQ.
__________________
_________________________________
JOS whole hog cooker
MAK 2 Star
Facebook:https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoa...440847709&_rdr
Our website:
http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #12
DUBBAGA
is one Smokin' Farker

 
DUBBAGA's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-31-11
Location: Redlands, CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
Indeed it is the Burnt Offerings Invitational. I recognize that it isn't a certified contest, but it's moving that direction as I understand it. It's slowly growing. There is a certified judges class to prep everyone in a couple of weeks.
In that case, when judging if I taste jalapeno blackberry ribs, jalapeno blackberry chicken, jalapeno blackberry tri-tip and jalapeno blackberry bbq sauce I will know it came from a fellow Brethren
__________________
Green Card Q - Pitmaster (term used loosely)

UDS, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker, Blue Ember Gasser, Weber Performer

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)

HELP BIGMISTA GET HIS DREAM! (GoFundMe link)

EPIC BIGMISTA KICKSTARTER/GoFundMe THREAD (link)
DUBBAGA is online now   Reply With Quote


Unread 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #13
Podge
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 09-25-06
Location: Elk Creek, Ky.
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Competition BBQ is a lot like blues music. Very narrowly defined, but a world of ways to achieve it. Go too far from the expected norm, it ain't BBQ and it ain't blues anymore.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 05-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #14
palehorse
On the road to being a farker
 
palehorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-12
Location: Los Angeles CA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
In that case, when judging if I taste jalapeno blackberry ribs, jalapeno blackberry chicken, jalapeno blackberry tri-tip and jalapeno blackberry bbq sauce I will know it came from a fellow Brethren
Most excellent! When it's all said and done, I'd love to meet.
__________________
'Perfect Flame SLG Gasser' 'CharBroil American Gourmet (noSFB)' 'Weber 22.5 Bar-B-Kettle'
palehorse is offline   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts