The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #31
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Opened a bag yet, savage??!!

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #32
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

Just opened it up, looks good to me.

savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #33
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
Thanks for the tip. I checked with my local ACE today. No luck. $19 per bag.

It was worth a shot, though.
It's not at ACE, it's at OCEAN STATE JOB LOT, hopefully they have them in your area.

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #34
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #35
Deeg
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks savageford, I appreciate you taking the time to take the pictures.
Deeg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #36
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am really jealous That is really cheap
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #37
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks man! Off I go....

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #38
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeg View Post
Has anyone opened up a bag from OSJL? Is there any chance these are "seconds" with lower quality than usual?
I bought one bag to try at my local store. This charcoal is in a paper bag, the last WG I bought was in a Tyvek bag, but that was last year so I have no idea which is the newer packaging. The bags at my store look like they had been crumpled a bit and felt like there was a lot of small pieces in there, but it is hard to tell without opening it. That is the only reason I didn't buy more. I am going to open it up soon and dump it out to look. The WG I have bought in the past has big pieces and very little of the fine chips and dust. I would be happy if this is medium sized chunks. My only fear is to buy a bunch of it and find bags that have been crushed and loaded with small pieces and dust. For some reason I think that Ocean State buys closeouts, etc, but I may be wrong. I know that even if you buy a pallet from WG and pick it up yourself it still not close to $10 bag.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Churrasqueiro Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #39
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

PS my wife thought I was crazy when I dumped out the bag and started taking pictures. Here is what was left after I piked out the decent stuff.

I have not bought much lump was this worth it?

Unread 04-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #40
ButtBurner
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageford View Post
ps my wife thought i was crazy when i dumped out the bag and started taking pictures. Here is what was left after i piked out the decent stuff.

i have not bought much lump was this worth it?
yes yes yes!!!

Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ButtBurner is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #41
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

The Tewksbury MA store had more than a pallet full on the floor when I was there this afternoon, May 30. Took 12 bags. The WG I bought last year is in the poly bag and is a product of Venezuela. The paper bag product from Job lots is from Brazil and does feel different than what is in the bag from Venezuela. I do recall a conversation a couple months ago about an "issue" with the new bagging process. The recommendation from the owner of the co was to wait and not to buy a pallet at this time. Perhaps these bags are the ones from the trial or bad run. That would make sense to me. Think I'll send off an email to her and see if I can get the real scoop. If I get a response I will report back.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #42
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

I opened my bag and dumped it out. There are some decent sized pieces, but not as big as I have found in previous bags I have bought. And for the record, I have only used a few bags of WG in the past. Most of the time I had to chop it up to get some smaller pieces to use to cook steak, burgers, etc. There was very little chaff or small pieces in the bag.

This bag has a lot of very small pieces, 1" or less. If I put a few handfuls of the small stuff in the chimney, it fell right through. I'm picking thru this by hand now, I wouldn't dump it in the chimney as there is a lot of dust and small pieces.

I lit a half a chimney to cook a steak and some odds and ends on my Smokey Joe. It is harder to light than Royal Oak and took several sheets of paper to get it going, but there were literally no sparks at all It produced a nice hot fire and doesn't appear to burn up as fast as Royal Oak. It looks to me like it's good hardwood.

I am going to try another bag, maybe from the other store in my area, if they have it, and see how it compares to this one. Again, from my limited experience, this doesn't seem to be up to the old WG quality standards. I still wonder if these bags were crushed and thrown around and that is why there is a lot of small pieces.

I hope that everyone here who bought some at Job Lot will chime in with what the overall quality was.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #43
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

Well nothing ventured nothing gained, at $10 I don't think it was a total loss.

Unread 04-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
Churrasqueiro Bob
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageford View Post
Well nothing ventured nothing gained, at $10 I don't think it was a total loss.
Definitely not. I usually by the 8.8lb bags of Royal Oak at WalMart, and they are 6.89 or somewhere in that vicinity. There is a lot of small pieces and dust in many of those bags. Plus it burns up faster too, IMO.

This WG is from Brazil. I'm wondering if it is eucalyptus from the way it burns. The Naked Whiz rated Braseiro very highly and it was eucalyptus from Brazil. I snuffed the fire so I'll see how much ash there is and how much will be re-usable.

The bag I have from last year is from Argentina and it is loaded with big pieces, too big for most of my use. I have to break it up to use it. This new bag seems like a different wood.

The worst charcoal I have used from South America has been the Royal Oak from Paraguay. It was like the 4th of July.

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #45
charrederhead
is One Chatty Farker

Ok, just returned from getting 5 bags and checked in to read the reports- thanks for them. There was one pallet, stacked high. It seemed as if I may have been the first at it. I don't have much experience buying/using lump. I think I've bought 3 bags prior to this. (I bought a bag of Mali's the other day so I'll compare). Some bags seemed to have a chitload of small pieces, so I picked through the top couple layers to grab the bags that seemed less so. It wasn't hard to find 5 bags that seemed ok, but until they're opened (tomorrow), won't know for sure.

Thanks from:--->