Well it was quite an adventure.First my phone my phone died right as were getting ready to put the hog on so no pics. Then I loaded the new fire box up with 4 bags of lump, as I said Id had only had a few hours the night before to play with the new vent system.Expecting thier may be problems with it I lit it an hour and a half before hand to see if it would settle in.Good thing as I forgot to close down two vents and soon had a raging inferno inside as much of the lump went up at once.
After the initial freak out and some adjustments we had the fire back under control within about an hour and got it leveled out around 275.Put the hog in about 11 friday night.After a long night in a lawn chair, a few to many beverages, and temps dropping to around 40 degrees the temps in the smoker stayed good untill almost 4:30 in the morning on the first load of lump which was pretty impressive as a lot of it had burned up in the inferno.
We cooked it untill 3:30 Saturday afternoon using a total of about 9 bags of lump.I seriously underestimated how long the stall would be on this little piggy and as we had about 30 people standing around waiting for food we pulled it off and covered it up with foil at an IT of around 185 to rest.About an hour later however when we went to pull it I found it must have continued rising in temp as it pulled very easily and was quite good.Got lots of compliments on it, everyone was impressed seemed like, and it gave me 16 hours to play with the new firebox and figure out how to control it better. I would do it again and give myself a few more hours of leeway on cooking it but it went well for a trial run on a firebox I had never used before I thought.
The party was quite a success, everyone ate good and again Saturday night drank to many beers and had a good time, that was the main thing after all, just to have fun.