The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I could do that but I still want a BBQ-mobile it would simply be cool but like I said this isn't a project I'm rushing into I'll probably also will build a trailer pit. At this point I got thinking on building 2 opposing reverse flow offsets on a diesel flatbed and make it so the fireboxes bolt on and will store in the main part of the smokers for travel so I may still haul a trailer. I was also thinking of having fold down plates to stand on to put food in and take it out.
Newenglandbbqer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

They make smokers that fit into the receiver hitch of a truck.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #18
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

Not exactally what I was going for doesn't exactly make a truck into a BBQ-mobile

Unread 04-29-2013, 03:04 AM   #19
Mixin
Got Wood.

I can see where you're heading, and if you followed the bolt on/bolt off tray arrangement it could be easily adapted to a replacement cab/chassis down the track.

We ran our F100 on 100% propane. 2 tanks, either side, hung under the tray between the cab & rear wheels. I'm sure you could mount the diesel tank in a similar location and follow the advice about a low firebox at the rear - that's going to keep plenty of distance from the ignition source to the diesel tank, and the heat from the smoker itself is no worse than that in a hot engine bay, so all the other components wouldn't be too worried. And there's always plenty of ideas for heat shielding as well.

I think you can come up with a design that works. Airbag suspension would be ideal to get a nice working height, but I do like the idea of a flip-down work platform (to stand on) - this could be on one side, and a serving/eating arrangement on the other side.

If you've got the steel, the welder, and the time, I reckon go for it. Might pay to use alloy checker plate or expanded mesh on the work platforms to keep some of the weight down.
Mixin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newenglandbbqer View Post
I'd use a fuel cell in the cab
this sounds like a plan coming together...however on the other hand I had a 57 ford F-100 and the steel tank was behind the seat,,,however todays world would mean law suits..

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

A trailer is much more practical. You don't have a vehicle that is single-use that way. A CDL is not that hard to get, but if you didn't want one a U-haul type truck does not require a CDL. There are some of those out there if you look.

Also, you don't want a fuel tank in a cab. There is a reason they don't make them that way anymore.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #22
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Assuming you do not have a truck to start with yet, consider finding an E-150/250/350 "cut away" chassis. That would allow for a lower floor height. You can have the same engines as the F series vehicles as well. As stated just above, look at the 10 ft. "apartment mover" size box truck from U-Haul. Starting there could save a lot of time fabricating from scratch.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
Zak
On the road to being a farker

I think it's a cool idea and very doable. I would run it by your insurance company or DOT just to make sure it's ok to do. Then you can work out the details down the road. I'd go with a chasis that had an 8' bed on it so you're not cramped for space so you're looking at an F150 or C1500. I think simply using diamond plate to cover the bed and wrap it over the fuel tank will ensure no sparks or heat finds it way near the tank will work just fine. I can picture a 250 gallon propane tank on the frame and a firebox sitting down between the frame rails on the back with a custom diamond plate bed. Damn, that'd be sweet!!!
Zak is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #24
DubfromGA
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonewagon View Post
I now have new ideas for future lottery ticket winnings!

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

hm this will come together quite nicely all i need is a truck, a job (only a freshman), and to get the old lincoln 300 arc welder from my grandfathers house with a box of sticks and this should go swimmingly given i dont break anything and whatnot. also what will the dot do if everything on it is within any codes for vehicle specs say you cant have that because i dont have one seriously what could go wrong in that department

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM   #26
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I'd be worried if things get out of hand the trucks Fuel tank may ruin your day.
Thank you. I was going to ask how close the fire box would be to the fuel tank.

The truck bed will be higher off the ground and may be too high for a convenient cooker unless you provide a platform to stand on.

The other down side is the truck now becomes a single tasker. I'd stick with a smoker on a trailer, personally.

Unread 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #27
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

The fire box would be just above the hitch and to the right

Unread 04-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

The last major detail to be worked out is what to call it

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
Hoss
is One Chatty Farker

http://www.johnsonsmokers.com/index....d=73&Itemid=86

I know it is not what YOU are looking for but still an option for some.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #30
Newenglandbbqer
Knows what a fatty is.

Jesus crist 2 grand for that! I could probably make that for like 200-600 dollars how are they even askin' 2 freakin grand for a smoker with a 2 inch hitch welded to it wtf!