The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
georgiasmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Rookie building UDS

I am in the beginning stages of building a UDS and I've got a problem. I acquired a free drum from a local truck accessory store but it used to have a resin in it that is used for Line-X bedliners. So what I did was take it to the car wash and I washed it out to where it looks brand new on the inside. But I know it isn't completely clean, so my question is, should I finish it off with a good hot fire or should I go some other direction? I just want to make sure I don't poison myself or my family. Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions.
georgiasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
sdmiller72
Found some matches.

Default Good luck

That liner is hard to remove. I made 6 UDS smokers this year. The first three had the liner, the last three I was careful to find barrels without liners.
Regarding the liner, I burned, wirewheeled and sanded. But still in the areas where the walls of the barrels met the bottom, I could not remove the liner to my satisfaction. I ultimately had them sandblasted for $25 a piece. Good luck with the liner.
sdmiller72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2013, 08:37 PM   #3
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Can you take a grinder with a wire wheel to the inside and get it all before the burn?
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #4
georgiasmoke
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmiller72 View Post
That liner is hard to remove. I made 6 UDS smokers this year. The first three had the liner, the last three I was careful to find barrels without liners.
Regarding the liner, I burned, wirewheeled and sanded. But still in the areas where the walls of the barrels met the bottom, I could not remove the liner to my satisfaction. I ultimately had them sandblasted for $25 a piece. Good luck with the liner.
Well I am not quite sure what you mean by a liner, but the stuff that was in it was just a black liquid resin. And as soon as I hit it with the pressure washer it came off. Like I said it looks like brand new metal on the inside.
georgiasmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2013, 01:27 AM   #5
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

You should always burn out a drum. Even if it's new and unlined. Fire is an amazing sterilizer. I'd take a sander to it and see what it does. If the sander doesn't appear to remove anything then you're probably ok with just a good hot burn. There may be a clear coat of some kind you're not seeing.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote