Originally Posted by Pyle's BBQ
I use 2 Thermapens in my restaurant daily. The older one that is about 5 years old still has the original batter, has been "washed" by the staff and generally semi-abused. I would say for someone not in the food service industry it should last a lifetime if you take care of it.
I forgot to add, I found my splash proof Thermapen floating in the dish washing sink the other day. Some how it got knocked into the water. I fished it out, opened the battery door to check for water. No water came out, so I put the batteries back in and kept on using it.
We have two also, wth one being about six years old and the other about a year. You become so used to them that you freak when you can't find one. Now we pretty much rely on feel and quick reads.