The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
BaggerBill
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default New to reverse flow, any advice or suggestions?

I took the plunge into the world of reverse flow smokers and got myself a Meadow Creek TS120p (patio model) with warming box, live smoke in the warmer, insulated fire box and the charcoal box.

I've smoked with cheap offset smokers and an Akorn. I had a lot of success Akorn but the reverse flow is completely different monster and so far I'm struggling with everything from what to use as fuel and how to get the temperatures up before the coals start to die out.

I've tried lump coal, kingsford briquettes and today I tried hickory mini logs. If anyone can offer any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated!
BaggerBill is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
smokeinthenoke

I always used the hickory mini logs with my smaller offset, or a combination of stubb's or kingsford comp briquettes and apple wood chunks.
smokeinthenoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
dawg
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a ts120 and have learned that if i pre warm my wood i get soot so dont pre warm. I use good one lump 3 3lb coffee cans full and two splits to start my fire. takes about an hour to hour and a half to get up to temps 225-250 is where i cook at then every 30-45 minutes ill put another split in
dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
BigAshHole
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaggerBill View Post
I've tried lump coal, kingsford briquettes and today I tried hickory mini logs. If anyone can offer any suggestions or advice it would be greatly appreciated!
I have a TS120 and the best advice I can give you is learn where the temperature differencres are inside. Getting a handle on Fire control will be the toughest part with that reverse flow. I do not have an insulated fire box and that will make a difference but be prepared for it to use alot more fuel than a standard offset cooker. I use lump briquettes to start then burn wood for the rest of the cook.

Try cooking biscuits in different places on the racks and see where they cook differently. The top rack will be hotter than the bottom for sure.

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
BaggerBill

Wow, speedy replies! Awesome! Thanks for the advice, so far I've irked this smoker up four times in fives days but only cooked once while trying to learn this stuff! Thanks for advice, I look forward to putting it to use on this smoker.
BaggerBill is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Welcome to the fire!

Stickburning on a reverse flow smoker relies on alot of airflow - so don't skimp in that area and keep the exhaust wide open. Another small detail is to level your offset front to back and left to right to keep the baffle properly heated. If not - smoke will flow unevenly leaving hot and cold zones. You are not limited to sticks only - lump and charcoal briquettes are usable alternate sources (with a charcoal basket). Using seasoned woods will be tending the fire more often - throwing on another split every 30-45 minutes. The goal is burning a small, hot, and fast-burning fire ' trailing thin blue smoke.

Here's a thread what many stickburning fires look like...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=121563

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
Shinka

I have the same unit but mine
is trailer mounted. I usually get mine going with cheap lump and briqs with door and vents wide open and the cooker door resting on the locks. It takes about forty minutes to get up to temp in the summer and over an hour in the cold winter. When it is up to temp I cook with commercial briqs and just splits of fruit wood. I keep the vents only open about an inch. Just need to understand that there is a ton of thermal energy in that insulated firebox so once it is up to temp it doesn't take much to keep it there. But you will need to add wood every forty minutes. The hot spots can vary by as much as 50 degrees. I would say to pick up at least four thermometers for the inside of the cooker until you get the hang of the hot spots.
Pm me if you need any help.
By the way I start the fire with a weed burner in the fire box and also use the weed burner to heat the steel of the cooker in the winter.