The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-22-2013, 12:07 AM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Wow, that's a nice treat, I have never tried linguica tacos, but, it sounds good

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #17
jonmhenderson
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
My pit is 24x30 and I find that I need a fire grate in this smaller pit or it doesn't seem to work as good. I use two oven racks. I start out with about 5 or 6 logs and add as needed. Works really good. I've been to the Far Western dozens of times when they were in Guadelupe but you couldn't see the fire pit. Hitching Post you can and it's as others say, the fire flares up as the move the steaks around. It's important to note that they are cooking mostly steaks rather than tri tip.
That's good to know. I couldn't hardly get a fire to burn at all in mine. I guess the fire box is too steep/deep. If I had to design it again, I'd probably make it more like a Grillery grill, but it's fine the way it is. That firebox will hold plenty of ash and won't have to be cleaned out very often. Putting the expanded metal on the fire bricks got more than enough oxygen to the fire this weekend. I was able to get a nice bed of coals and a "six second fire" in pretty short order! I did some pretty thick bbq loin strip steaks with Jocko's Mix seasoning. They were the best bbq steaks I've even done. I absolutely love the wide char/sear marks the parilla style cooking screen leaves on the meat. That screen far surpasses the old expanded metal screen my Santa Maria Bbq Outfitters pit had.
jonmhenderson is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #18
jonmhenderson

Weekend action shots......

Unread 04-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
dwfisk
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 1

Really nice steaks! I'm in the middle of building mine, was just going to use expanded metal for the grill grate, but I'm thinking maybe I should copy your setup, maybe an accessory that just sits on top of the expanded metal for steaks? They look like 1" angle, spaced at about 1/2"-3/4" sloped to a grease trap, anything more I might want to know?
Home built 48" fire pit with a 30"x30" Santa Maria style ranch grill.
Home built lump charcoal retort, iGrill & a bunch of other cooking toys.
dwfisk is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
jonmhenderson

Yes, it's one inch angle iron. They are spaced 1/2 inch apart. They are set at a 4 degree angle down to a removable drip tray. It's just a classic Argentine parilla setup, on top of a Santa Maria fire box as opposed to a flat open surface with back and side walls. Having cooked on both, I think the parilla setup is superior to the regular cooking screen.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmhenderson View Post
That's good to know. I couldn't hardly get a fire to burn at all in mine. I guess the fire box is too steep/deep. If I had to design it again, I'd probably make it more like a Grillery grill, but it's fine the way it is. That firebox will hold plenty of ash and won't have to be cleaned out very often. Putting the expanded metal on the fire bricks got more than enough oxygen to the fire this weekend. I was able to get a nice bed of coals and a "six second fire" in pretty short order! I did some pretty thick bbq loin strip steaks with Jocko's Mix seasoning. They were the best bbq steaks I've even done. I absolutely love the wide char/sear marks the parilla style cooking screen leaves on the meat. That screen far surpasses the old expanded metal screen my Santa Maria Bbq Outfitters pit had.
Jocko's is what I use. Suzie Q is probably the most popular on The Central Coast but I prefer Jocko's. I've only eaten at Jocko's in Nipomo once though. Far Western and A.J. Spurs were our fav's. A.J. Spurs was close and cheap if we made it in time for the early bird menu. Wish I knew how to make their beans.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #22
jonmhenderson

I like how Jocko's Mix is finely ground as opposed to some of the other coarse ground Santa Maria blends. It always shakes on smoothly and is the right balance of garlic, salt, and black pepper.

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
wyocurt

Having had a Arizona pit the holes in the bottom sure makes it nice to get a fire going to have nice coals and I also had the argentine grill Great
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #24
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I'm thinking of getting an Argentine grill insert only (no firebox, no legs) for my next project I'll be working on.
What I'm curious about is how well do chicken wings grill on the V-grates?

Unread 04-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #25
jonmhenderson

Haven't done any wings on mine yet. Usually just throw those in the Traeger. I'm sure they'd be fine if you left the wings whole. There's only 1/2 inch between the angle iron.

Unread 04-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #26
landarc

Never been to A.J. Spurs, are the beans more like ranch beans? I should do some research

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #27
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

Have you had McClintocks beans? They are similar but darker. They are made with pinquitos and chunks of hamburger. The broth part it really dark and rich. They bring them to the table with beef vegetable soup and salsa. They recommend you mix them all together but I eat them separately. They also bring a skillet of heavily seasoned fried potatoes. Love that place. They filmed part of Sideways in there.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:29 PM   #28
landarc

Ah, pinquitos and burger bits, that explains the beans at a failed restaurant that opened up here called Red Oak Grill, or was it Red Smoke Grill?, hmmm... They did beans with ground beef bits. As I recall, the beans were better than the meat at that place.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #29
Mark Warren
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

All of the professional grills like yours I have see are open front fireboxes look here;

http://www.grillery.com/
Mark Warren is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #30
landarc

I think the Grillery cookers are the best thought out cooker on the market, for that style of grill. But, they are not cheap, or even close to reasonable.

Whip It Off, Chambers!