The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-17-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Weber Ranch Capacity Question

Hello all,

I was asked to do a fundraiser for the local softball league and I gladly accepted. When I first was asked I was told that it was chicken and Tri-tip, alright no problem I got this. Then I was told that it wasn't tip and chicken, it was tip and ribs. So now I am trying to figure out how I am going to pull off 50lbs of ribs and 50 lbs of Tri-tip.

Here is the kicker, the guy who normally does this has prior commitments and that is why I was asked, but I am told he did it on a Traeger and 4 22.5 kettles. How in the heck did he do that?

Anyways, I am pretty sure I can pull it off with the equipment I have, but my question is for those with a Ranch, how many racks of ribs were you able to fit on there at once. I hate using rib racks but I am pretty sure there is no way around it at this point.

I can take my stick burner (aka Holy Smokees) if I have too but I was hoping that I might be able to pull it off with the "Twins." The Ranch kettles I can move by myself in my truck, but if I have to haul the stick burner I am going to need to find a trailer.

Thanks all!
Rescued Red MasterTouch - 1998
Smoky Joe - 1984 (My Little Girls)
Ranch Kettle X2- 2008 With Brother Marty Leach's Handles and 1991 CL find.
SS Weber Performer X 2
Igotgas is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

And it appears that I am The ultimate thread killer

Died before it started!
SS Weber Performer X 2

Unread 04-18-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Okay let's try this, what is the most racks you have got on a 22 kettle.
SS Weber Performer X 2

Unread 04-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #4
R2Egg2Q
is One Chatty Farker

Not a lot of folks lucky enough to own a Ranch, (much less two) Chad. Like you I don't care much for using a rib rack. After googling some pics with ribs on a Ranch, if you banked coals on each side, it kinda looks to me like you could fit 8 baby backs (or St Louis spares) lying flat. Certainly the number would go up quickly using a couple rib racks or perhaps you could add a second tier with a smaller upper cooking grate and put ribs on two levels. Admittedly, I'm just eyeballing it here.

If you want to hold a Brethren Rib Bash I bet you could get a bunch of us over with enough ribs to find out just how many you can fit on a Ranch!

XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Mini BGE, Superior Smokers SS-Two, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Imperial Kamado, UDS (Darth Maul), Thai Charcoal cooker, Webers: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" OTG, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; Stoker, Rocket Red Backlit Thermapen, custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-19-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Quite a quandary you've got your self in. I honestly don't see you pulling this off without rib racks....unless you are willing to pre-cook the ribs. Then again, those Ranch Kettles are beasts.

Best of luck.....please let us know how you handled it.

Unread 04-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Quite a quandary you've got your self in. I honestly don't see you pulling this off without rib racks....unless you are willing to pre-cook the ribs. Then again, those Ranch Kettles are beasts.

Best of luck.....please let us know how you handled it.
You could easily do this. Just finish them off over direct heat with the chicken.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2013, 11:35 AM   #7
savageford
Full Fledged Farker

I have never cooked them like this but what about coiling them and cooking them that way?
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Two ranch kettles should be no problem if you can hold the ribs in a Cambro or something after they are done. I own one RK and have cooked 7 racks of St. Louis cut racks all down the center with coals banked on either side contained with fireplace bricks. Cook your ribs, use a cambro or some ice chests to keep them warm and leave enough time to get the tri-tip on. You should be fine.
Good Luck

Benny
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Igotgas
is one Smokin' Farker

Sorry all, I have been under the weather and down for the count. Thanks for the replies, I will definitely let everyone know how I end up handling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtimebbq View Post
Two ranch kettles should be no problem if you can hold the ribs in a Cambro or something after they are done. I own one RK and have cooked 7 racks of St. Louis cut racks all down the center with coals banked on either side contained with fireplace bricks. Cook your ribs, use a cambro or some ice chests to keep them warm and leave enough time to get the tri-tip on. You should be fine.
Good Luck

Benny
I thought of this but I am not sure what the end product will be like after holding them. Have you tried to hold ribs before? I haven't so I am wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Egg2Q View Post
Not a lot of folks lucky enough to own a Ranch, (much less two) Chad. Like you I don't care much for using a rib rack. After googling some pics with ribs on a Ranch, if you banked coals on each side, it kinda looks to me like you could fit 8 baby backs (or St Louis spares) lying flat. Certainly the number would go up quickly using a couple rib racks or perhaps you could add a second tier with a smaller upper cooking grate and put ribs on two levels. Admittedly, I'm just eyeballing it here.

If you want to hold a Brethren Rib Bash I bet you could get a bunch of us over with enough ribs to find out just how many you can fit on a Ranch!
Thanks John, I know I could have worse problems that's for sure. I think I am going to have to use racks as much as I hate it. I might mess around with some skewers first to see what I can do.

Thanks again for the responses..
SS Weber Performer X 2

Unread 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #10
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

I always foil my ribs at competitons. After I feel they are done, I remove them from the smoker (used to be the RK, now WSMs), let them vent a few minutes and place the foiled ribs into a Cambro until turn-in time. That can vary with each rack but it is usually 1 hr early, plenty of time to cook your tri-tip.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote