• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

"Just salt" rub??

mikeleonard81

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I hear aboutore and more people leaving the sugar out on their rubs. I'm going to have to try the simply salt next time. I used to be dead set against it. but now I'm wondering if I'm crazy for spending the money on it:crazy:. Any bad experiences with just the salt out there?

I have used just salt and pepper and it is just fine. My normal rub has a tiny amount of sugar in it, but, certainly not needed. I think just salt would not suit my taste, I like the bite of black pepper. But, nothing wrong with just salt.

There are a lot of good salts out there that do not cost as much as pink salt. Yes spending a lot of money on salt seems a bit foolish but if that's what you like the do it up. My question is what are you trying to achieve by only using salt. You obviously are not going to have good Q by just using salt but salt encrusting does have its place. Salt encrusted prime rib or pork tenderloin is wonderful.

You didn't mention a meat, but in Texas, salt and pepper is all you need on beef -- and pretty much all you need, period.

CD

I am leaning towards just salt, pepper, and garlic. Simple and the Q has been turning out great. Maybe I got a dull palette?

Never used just salt. We use sugars in our pork rubs, but our beef rub is a combo of salt, pepper, and garlic powder...mmmm.

I have been doing My Butts with just salt and really like the result. However S&P on everything else is pretty much it.

Ummm, salt? Let's be a little more specific...as in what kind of salt. I use nothing but Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper on my steaks.

The meat is pork butt. And the only salt I've heard about using is kosher corse salt. I've never heard of pink salt. What is it?

We sell 200 lbs of butts a day and everybody in town says it's the best pulled pork they ever had and all we use is Diamond Krystal kosher salt and pepper. We also mix in eastern north carolina sauce in it on the flat top when we warm it up. One night I forgot to put anything at all on it and honestly you couldn't hardly tell the difference.
Thanks, Jeff Therrell
Sweetfire BBQ

Yep! I use 50/50 S&P on beef; more S & less P on pork and 50/50 on chicken with a little paprika for color. Took me 15 years to quit experimenting with "rubs" and overdoing the spice. I don't do comps - just need to make myself, family & friends happy and this seems to be what works for us.

Ok maybe I missed something here but are you guys cooking BBQ and just using salt and pepper on it.

salt & pepper on beef. i haave my own rub for anything else.

Back