The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #16
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkDork View Post
Do you guys think you could get away with having only 2 UDS for a standard comp of Brisket, chicken, ribs and butt??
Absolutely. For example, set up them up on Friday night for butts and briskets. Depending on how much meat you cook you could do that on one UDS. Time the butts and briskets to be done by 8am on Saturday and hold them in a cooler or cambro. Then get one UDS set up for ribs and the other for chicken. Easy.

It's all about timing.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
PorkDork
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Absolutely. For example, set up them up on Friday night for butts and briskets. Depending on how much meat you cook you could do that on one UDS. Time the butts and briskets to be done by 8am on Saturday and hold them in a cooler or cambro. Then get one UDS set up for ribs and the other for chicken. Easy.

It's all about timing.
Some good advice there! You think it would be best to keep the longer cook items (i.e. butt and brisket) in one, and the shorter, more intensive items (ribs, chicken) in a separate cooker??
PorkDork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-16-2013, 09:12 PM   #18
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
I thought I saw him have at least 2 or 3 on BBQ Pitmasters. I would think if you were to only have one you would at least have to have a couple racks in each UDS. I'm thinking about trying to enter into my first competition this year and I'm thinking one UDS is not going to be enough. (However I'm really working the fiance to let me buy a Backwoods Chubby!!!)
Since that 1st season of BBQ Pitmasters, Harry Soo has made his setup much more efficient. I took his class last fall and spoke with him during his last contest in Wildomar, CA. He cooks 2 butts on the bottom rack and 1 brisket on the top rack. They are usually done within an hour or so of each other, so by ~7:30am when he puts on his ribs, the long haul meats are in the Cambro. He puts the chicken on ~9:30 on the bottom rack. Thats when he begins to foil his ribs. Trust me, he has this thing down.

I follow his routine, but I use 2-3 WSMs purely for the extra capacity because I cook more to allow for my 'cough' 'cough' larger margin of error 'gulp'! He tweets and FBs about his timeline all the time so I don't feel like I'm revealing a huge competitive strategy here. He told me he likes to use one WSM and 1 20lb. bag of KB because it reduces his carbon footprint and makes things go a lot smoother, ie. less equipment, supplies, etc.. I think it's because he's showing off...LOL!

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

[B]Competition arsenal:[/B]
(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]
ViciousGame is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Ron_L

Quote:
Some good advice there! You think it would be best to keep the longer cook items (i.e. butt and brisket) in one, and the shorter, more intensive items (ribs, chicken) in a separate cooker??
That all depends on how much meat you cook and the temps. If the butts and briskets cook at the same temp and will fit in one that gives you more flexibility in case you have a stubborn butt of brisket.

That way you have a free cooker for the ribs, and if you cook chicken hotter, the cook time isn't as long, so you have time for that stuck butt or brisket to finish without having to worry. The chicken can go into that cooker when the butt and briskets are done.

So to recap...

Cooker 1 - butts and briskets, then chicken
Cooker 2 - ribs

At least that's how I would do it.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #20
PorkDork
On the road to being a farker

Wow! I guess a guy could do an entire competition on a single UDS! This is why I love this web site! SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!

So if you had to recommend the best way for us competition virgins, would you recommend a single smoker or multiple smokers? I would think multiple would give a little leeway so I wouldn't be opening/closing/opening/closing over and over and killing my temperatures.
PorkDork is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #21
Ron_L

Quote:
Wow! I guess a guy could do an entire competition on a single UDS! This is why I love this web site! SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!

So if you had to recommend the best way for us competition virgins, would you recommend a single smoker or multiple smokers? I would think multiple would give a little leeway so I wouldn't be opening/closing/opening/closing over and over and killing my temperatures.
Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

Remembering a friend

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Yeah, if everything goes right, you can do it on one. But if you have a stubborn butt or brisket you can have an issue.

See my recommendation above for a great way for a new team to start.
Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

(1) [I][B]22.5 WSM[/B][/I], (2) [I][B]18.5 WSMs[/B], So fast it predicts the future [COLOR="Blue"][B]Blue[/B][/COLOR] [B]Thermapen[/B][/I]

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/vicioussmoke"][B]Visit Vicious Smoke on facebook[/B][/URL]

[URL="http://www.twitter.com/vicioussmokebbq"][B]Follow Vicious Smoke on twitter[/B][/URL]

Unread 04-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #23
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousGame View Post
Indeed. Harry Soo is the exception to the rule. I don't think I'd ever try his method of all-in-one. He's truly talented at what he does.
Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

Remembering a friend

Unread 04-17-2013, 07:51 AM   #24
Movingmd
Found some matches.

Shows how new I am to te game. I thaught uds was only for back yards....
Movingmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
smokeisgood
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousGame View Post
He told me he likes to use one WSM and 1 20lb. bag of KB because it reduces his carbon footprint and makes things go a lot smoother, ie. less equipment, supplies, etc.. I think it's because he's showing off...LOL!
Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...

Unread 04-17-2013, 03:13 PM   #26
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Yeah... It takes impeccable timing.

But, I've seen a lot of pictures online of him at comps and they show two WSMs. Does he really use just one all the time?
I know he used only one in Wildomar. He did use a mini WSM to smoke his beef ribs (extra category in Wildomar), but I saw only one regular WSM on his cook site.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA

Unread 04-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #27
ViciousGame
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
Only in California would someone be worried about their carbon footprint in a BBQ competition...
When he first mentioned that he used only one WSM in the class I was shocked. I asked him why and he said that it was easier to transport less equipment and fewer supplies without sacrificing any quality in his end product. The carbon footprint reason was a more of a throw away one-liner afterwards. We all got a kick out it. Maybe he was serious about that reason or not, but the fact is that he frequently uses a single WSM and a single 20lb. bag of KB (and wood chunks) to cook all four of his competition meats.

KCBS CBJ CBBQA