The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:33 AM   #16
Teltum
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

My 2 cents: Look at cook times per lb of weight of brisket and butt and time your ons about an hour early. the extra rest in a pre-warmed cooler generally won't ruin your meat half as bad as undercooking a brisket. Under cooked over smoked brisket is nearly impossible to eat, I speak from experience and make sure you check your temps every hour or so. (I had my kamado run away on sunday with a turkey after 2 hours of in-attendence, the squeezin's ignited and flaired the kamado up to 500 from my 370 then I cooked a cottage ham and that too suffered due to the squeezin's in the pit.) Lesson learned: Drip pans help stop flair ups.

Also if you don't have a grate thermo: Run the smoker 10% hotter. I am smoking at 250 on my Chargiller Kamado with factory guage (it has a 10% variance so 225-275 which is fine in my book. but 225 is between 202-248 and 202 is way to cold to be smoking on.)

So just allow extra time is the big thing you will see.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
Greulsd
Got rid of the matchlight.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Thanks for all the insight.

So I have done brisket and pork quite a bit in a slow cooker, but this will be the first time smoking it. I'm also doing a pork in a slow cooker and some awesome meatballs (grape jelly and franks hot sauce ... so good.)

Anyway, I really appreciate the help here. I'm going to go for the pork butt for sure. I've read that if I foil it, it might stop bark from forming, any one have experience with that? Also, does it matter?

I'm pretty good at checking meat, and knowing when it's ready by touch. So I feel pretty confident in that. I've also told everyone "look, this is my first time, be aware I may totally ruin the meat" .. so they are at least prepared. The slow cooker meats should be fine though as I've done that quite a bit. I'm pretty patient, but very excited to get this thing lit up.

It's not a Brand New Weber, it's used. It's the exact model I was going to buy, and I thought I'd just check Craigslist to see what's out there and this one had just been posted, only 2 miles from my house. It was 20% of what it sells for on CL, so I hadto get it. Checked it out. Barely used. So I bought it. replacing the grates on it for safe masure.

So, what should I use to smoke it? Just charcoal? Throw some wood in? any idea on quantity for something like this? I plan on reading through a lot more, but just looking for some advice from people with experience.

Thanks again!
Greulsd is offline   Reply With Quote