The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 02-11-2006, 04:52 PM   #1
MilitantSquatter

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Sources for hot water / cleaning etc.

I'd like to have some more info on what sources team's are using for their hot water at contests. In looking at old posts, I see the mention of a Coleman portable hot water heater (I think it's about $200 and runs on propane). Others mentioned bringing the pot from a turkey fryer I'm assuming to boil water in some way. Seems like this way does not allow for it to be readily available. Are there any other options that are not space intensive, relatively cheap etc ?

I know I asked about the three wash buckets a while back. I was assuming hot/warm water needed to be used at all times..but now I'm not sure. Are the teams just boiling water as needed to clean etc. ?

Any detailed info would be helpful on how your team handles their hot water needs during a contest.

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
LostNation
Full Fledged Farker

I got a coleman system for Xmas and haven't used it yet. I've seen teams that use electric coffee pots (old peculators) to heat water. They seem to work well if you have power.

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Rich, I've been looking at those Coleman water heaters. Aren't they supposed to have a very fast recovery time once it's hot?

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

The Coleman thing is On demand" so it's instant and constant. It must be a coil deal. You have toi charge it occasionally, I guess that powers the igniter and the pump, but the heat is fueled by 1 lb propane cylinders.
It works great. It's about the best thing to happen to cookoffs since the EZ Up.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

I just found it at Wilderness Essentials for 159.95 plus shipping.

Looks like a great unit...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was thinking of purchasing one of the coleman units myself... I used the turkey fryer and boiled water in it for cleaning. Between that and starting charcoal chimneys, I went through a bunch of propane last year (probably five tanks in 3 contests). In the long run, I'm guessing even with spending money on the 1 pound propane cannisters, the Coleman water heater will be cheaper (and free up the turkey fryer for charcoal only).

Here's what I found on Bass Pro if you're interested in saving search time:

Coleman Hot Water on Demandwritten by Michael Burch
The Hot Water on Demand is exactly what its namesake implies. It delivers hot water anytime, anywhere.I know what you're thinking - we're living in the millennium; creating hot water isn't very impressive. No, it's not if you're at your home, but it's a little more impressive when you're 50 miles from the nearest paved road.

In recent years Coleman has held up to their "ultimate camping company" standard by innovating and creating some of the best camping products on the market. One of their newest creations is the Coleman Hot Water on Demand system. I'm sure you all have been on camping trips where the only water you have is in the nearby river, or your drinking water. It makes for cold dishwashing, cleaning, and showers.

The Hot Water on Demand is exactly what its namesake implies. It delivers hot water anytime, anywhere. The portable, self-contained unit is lightweight, durable and operates on clean-burning propane. Use it for washing, cooking, cleaning, even an outdoor shower (spray adapter sold separately). It's so simple to use - connect the water hose, turn the dial to select your water temperature, and in FIVE SECONDS you have hot water.

If you want 160-degree hot water for making cocoa, or a cup of soup or instant coffee, then you'll only need to wait another handful of seconds. That's it. Just hold the knob on the hottest setting and steaming hot water will flow from the built-in, full-size faucet. Besides being fast, it is convenient and simple - thanks to a compact, self-contained unit that weighs just 22 pounds

To operate the system, simply connect the integrated hose and pump to a 5-gallon water carrier, select the desired temperature with the control knob, and the unit dispenses hot water in a matter of seconds. The unit comes with a 5-gallon collapsible water carrier but can be hooked to a garden hose with an optional adapter. It is fueled by a standard, 16.4-ounce disposable propane cylinder, which will heat 40 gallons of water, more than enough for an average weekend family camping trip.

The water heater has three settings: Cool, which simply pumps and dispenses water without heating it; Warm, which heats water to 50 degrees Fahrenheit above the starting or ambient water temperature; and Hot, which heats water to 100 degrees above starting temperatures to a maximum of 160 degrees. It operates with an easy-to-understand single control knob, which ignites the burner automatically, turns the unit and pump on and off, and regulates the water temperature.

Integrated safety features include automatic shut-offs when water temperatures exceed 160 degrees or the unit tips over, plus a protective housing that does not get hot to the touch. Additionally, the unit requires a user to manually hold the knob to select and dispense the hottest water option so that it is not selected inadvertently.

Water flows from the kitchen-sink-style faucet, which swings into place from its storage port in the molded carry-handle, at a rate of 1 gallon per minute on the cool and warm settings. On the hot setting, flow is restricted to a quart per minute.

A 6-volt, rechargeable battery supplies power to the pump and other electrical components. The water heater can be recharged from either a vehicle's 12-volt power supply or a standard household outlet via a plug-in port located on the unit's front panel. Indicator lights on the front panel show when the battery is low, when recharging is complete and when water temperature has reached its maximum temperature. A fully charged battery has a 40-minute run time, which is equivalent to heating about 40 gallons of water, the same amount heated by one propane cylinder.

The water heater is efficient, evenly and instantly transferring heat from its powerful 30,000 Btu burner to water flowing through copper heating coils in the heat exchanger.
KCBS Member #14287

Last edited by Jeff_in_KC; 02-11-2006 at 08:48 PM..
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
Kevin

Jeff, here's a link to a pdf for the owner's manual for the Coleman. It actualy looks quite economical to operate, and you can always get an adapter to run off of 20# cylinders.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/images/pdf/2300-700.pdf

Unread 02-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
Jeff_in_KC

Thanks, Kevin. I think I'm sold already. I know last year, we got tired of waiting for water to boil on the turkey fryer.
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 02-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #9
YankeeBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC
Thanks, Kevin. I think I'm sold already. I know last year, we got tired of waiting for water to boil on the turkey fryer.
You won't regret it. The Coleman works great.

Steve
YankeeBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2006, 12:06 AM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Thanks guys.... Seems like the Coleman unit is a no-brainer based on the feedback.

I looked around at pricing online at that Wilderness Essentials was pretty good even with shipping factored in.. I just placed an order with them...

Unread 02-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #11
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

One thing that bugged me about it was the fact that it comes equipped to use the 5 gallon jug they supply, or any other resevoir that you can submerge the pump in (like a garbage can) but if you want to hook it directly to a hose you have to buy an adaptor for $20. It's all still well worth the money, it just seems like that should be in the original package.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2006, 10:00 AM   #12
Jeff_in_KC

The shower attachment might be of use too if you are at a contest that allows some extra space!
KCBS Member #14287

Unread 02-12-2006, 12:48 PM   #13
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Shotgun Fred Pirkle at The BBQ Guru has a new hot water system that they are fixin to market. He sent me a few pictures of it. It is heated by charcoal. You can contact him for more info. http://www.thebbqguru.com
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-12-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
Sawdustguy

I gotta get me one of those things too!

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #15
Bigmista

For those with unlimited funds...

http://www.cookind.com/index.php

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD.

God loves BBQ!

Bigmista Custom Spicewine Trailer - Olivia J. PIMA
Large and Medium Spicewines
Weber Ranch Kettle - E.T.

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote