The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Fatalis
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Could not get my UDS higher than 500

Hi guys, today I did steak which was my 4th cook on the uds, I had previously lightly used charcoal ashed over in the pan +1 full chimney and it did not go higher than 450, so I added another full chimney and that only got to 500.

The strange thing is during my first cook I used stubbs instead of kingsford and for fun I got my uds to 650+ and shut it down.

The only factors I see that did not help was the previously used charcoal, maybe it was because it was not as good a brand, and it was kinda cold today so maybe with the lid off it just couldn't get that high?

Thoughts?
Fatalis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
martyleach
Babbling Farker

Well, the UDS if pretty much intended as a slow cooker/smoker for temps below 300. Grilling on one is not as common.
That said, if you can raise your fire basket up high close to the grill (and top of drum) you will have a better chance of high heat.
MAK One Star Pellet Grill, Smokey Joe Gold, Jumbo Joe Gold, Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)

www.amlwoodart.com
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-13-2013, 10:36 PM   #3
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Highest I've ever gotten my UDS is around 400. But I never use it for grilling, that is why I have the Webers.

Plus like mentioned above, traditionally designed UDSs aren't intended to cook steaks on or really cook above 375. Its just not in its nature.

Can it be done? Sure. I could place the charcoal basket on top of my diffuser rack and probably grill but its not as easy as firing up the OTG.

Unread 04-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #4
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

It would be easier if you lit the coals and threw the steak directly on them. ;)
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Once your UDS gets seasoned really well (which will have a nice build up of "stuff" on the walls, you're gonna pretty much NOT EVER get it that hot.

I did once, unintentionally while hot smoking a whole chitload of chicken quarters and the whole thing caught on fire. The walls of the drum were literally aflame.

It's not a grill. I've never tried and will never try to cook a steak on my UDS.
As Bubba said......you'd be better off filling up the charcoal basket with lit coals and put the cooking grate right on the basket. THAT is a grill.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #6
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Some people have modified their UDS to make it easy to move the basket up right below the cooking grate. That should be an easy fix if you want to use your UDS as a grill too.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
ssbbqguy
is one Smokin' Farker

My units can be used as a grill but they are made for it, with the firebrick lining. We like to say they perform at their best as a indirect smoker, when using smoker plate and water pan. If you want a drum to cook at 650 or more than some modifications are in order. You might consider a ceramic. Steve.
ssbbqguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I use my D-shaped charcoal basket (which I made for my 22" kettle) which I place on the second grate of my UDS for grilling if for some reason I find myself needing to use the UDS for grilling which is not often.

Unread 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
1MoreFord
is one Smokin' Farker

I don't find it odd at all the Kingsford doesn't burn as hot as Stubbs. Way too much binder in Kingsford.