The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
BrewerDJ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Competition Sauces & Rubs

We just competed in our 2nd contest, Williepallooza, and in the cooks meeting they told us they were changing the scoring weighting system. Giving more weight to tenderness and less to taste. They said it was because so many people are using the same sauces and rubs that everything is tasting similar and this would give more weight to the cooking process and how well the cooks prepared they're meats. Is everyone really using the same stuff? I thought most people would be making their own sauces and rubs. Or are there really just a few rubs and sauces that most people are using? What are these magic sauces and rubs that are winning all the medals? We have been working for the last couple of years on our sauces and rubs. Last year we took a 7th in Pork and this year a 8th in Brisket. Are we wasting time with trying to make our own? I'd at least like to try some of these winning rubs & sauces and see how they compare.

Thanks for any input or leads to the spice blends.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

This is the first I've heard of the weight of the tenderness scores being debated/changed...
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
gmag
Full Fledged Farker

I just took the CBJ class this past weekend and they said nothing about the change. The only thing that they said FOR SURE that was changing was not referring to pork as the butt (Boston butt, or any variation therof) anymore and calling it the shoulder instead.

Unread 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
PalmettoSmoke

Downloads: 1

I use my own sauce for pork (butt, shoulder, whatever you want to call it). For ribs, brisket, and chicken, I use commercially available sauces (I may doctor them a little). As far as rubs go, I buy them most of the time.

Modified Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress
PalmettoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Who was the sanctioning body??

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
BrewerDJ

Williepallooza uses the BBQ Brethren Bill of Rights. Which allows the contest organizer to modify almost any part of the rules at their discretion. I had no problem with the modified scoring but I am interested in the idea that most people are using the same rubs and sauces.
BrewerDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
MikeJ65
Full Fledged Farker

The secret is out. Everyone is using Smokin' Guns Hot and Blue's Hog Original.

Seriously, there are dozens of commercial rubs and sauces that will be used by Grand Champion winners this year. Go out and buy 8-10 rubs, a half dozen sauces, and brisket and pork injections from one of the sites that caters to competitive BBQ. Do comparative testing with your cooking method and continue to develop your recipes.

I'm not saying to never do you own thing, just that you can get 80% of the way there with 20% of the effort by starting with commercial seasonings.

Unread 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
rooftop bbq

using commerical sauces will help you be more consistant. It's hard to make your own sauces and rubs and have them turn out the same each time.
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewerDJ View Post
Williepallooza uses the BBQ Brethren Bill of Rights. Which allows the contest organizer to modify almost any part of the rules at their discretion. I had no problem with the modified scoring but I am interested in the idea that most people are using the same rubs and sauces.
I asked the question, pretty much knowing the answer, so that folks would not freak out and think KCBS had changed the rules .

As to it's value, I will leave that to others.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

Don't think I've ever used a commercial sauce or rub in a competition.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #11
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

We did our first couple of contests with our own stuff and didn't score so well. Switched to commercial stuff and our scores improved. (I'm sure some of it was learning to cook better)
We developed our own rub last year and are finally going to our own sauce again this year.
I think it helped trying several commercial products over a few years to see what sort of things the judges liked. Hopefully scores keep getting better this year with the B&C sauce and rub.

Unread 04-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
PalmettoSmoke

Downloads: 1

Another thing that I highly recommend: Take the judges class for whichever sanctioning body you are competing in. This will give you great insight in to what they are judging. Our scores went up tremendously after we took the class and judged a couple of contests.

Modified Custom Pits Model A1 Offset Trailer, 18.5" WSM, 22.5" Weber Kettle, UDS Build in Progress
PalmettoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
MarleyMan
Take a breath!

Downloads: 3

We make our own rub and buy commercial sauce. Great to have you guys next door again! Hopefully I will come out and compete next year instead of just visiting.

WOOOOOO!

(Todd from Ohio)

Unread 04-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

commercial sauces and rubs have the advantage when it comes to giving you the same product day in and day out. There are no magical combinations, there are plenty that work together and others that don't.

I'm a big fan of the Simply Marvelous/Smoke On Wheels/Blues Hog combo, others will tell you different combos.

As far as the rule change, I'm not sure about the Brethren rules but I think KCBS made a slight change to the weighting of the appearance score to help avoid ties. I hadn't heard about any rule change because the turn ins were tasting too similar.

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #15
MarleyMan
Take a breath!

Downloads: 3

FYI all, Williepalooza is not a KCBS comp so it does not follow the same rules/guidelines.

This is a MABA sanctioned contest as far as I know.