The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Rooter-Tooter BBQ
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Judges Scoring Question

Not complaining here just curious about some scores we received this weekend. How common is it when you receive a score from say Judge 2 of a 999 in pork and Judge 3 gives you a 865. I don't get it. Are judges judging food based on their tastes and preferences? Like I said Im not tore up about it just makes me scratch my head
Rooter-Tooter BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Unfortunately, it's fairly common.

Judges are not supposed to judge based on their tastes and preferences, but they are human, and those are hard things to ignore.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Red Valley BBQ
Take a breath!

Appearance and taste scores are very subjective, so they can be all over the place. KCBS has "guidelines" for tenderness, but they don't always seem to be followed.

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I know what you mean, I had 999, 999, 988, 898, 766, 766. Almost makes the person entering scores was in a hurry and accidentally entered the low score twice.

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
CivilWarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Or Judge 2 may have gotten a better sample than Judge 3. Not uncommon with pork if you include heavily barked pieces as some judges will perceive them as tough and dry.
CivilWarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Mine was in chicken, but I seen someone else's score sheet where the was all over the place, some like a couple 888 and then 764, they asked me about it and I haven't seen anything like it, also I turned I'm exact brisket taste tenderness and appearance, I have pictures and three people's opinion on it from last week 176 down to 154. Don't get me wrong, I loved the contest, but some things make you scratch your head and be like WTF...

Unread 04-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Bentley
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooter-Tooter BBQ View Post
I don't get it. Are judges judging food based on their tastes and preferences?

Some are!

Welcome to the Club!
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Rooter-Tooter BBQ
Got Wood.

Thanks for the input. Then I look at Warren County Pork Choppers who consistently win and do well throughout the nation. So that makes me think dude, you really did suck.
Rooter-Tooter BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #9
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I am convinced that there are some people who can taste certain flavors and others who simply can not. Get a group of people, make it anonymous, have them test some similar meat and analyze the feed back.

There are about 5 things you can do BBQ that will make me wretch. However, a lot of people will be moaning eating the same stuff right next to me.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
I am convinced that there are some people who can taste certain flavors and others who simply can not. Get a group of people, make it anonymous, have them test some similar meat and analyze the feed back.

There are about 5 things you can do BBQ that will make me wretch. However, a lot of people will be moaning eating the same stuff right next to me.
Everyone has different taste buds (literally). Add in then those that use deadening or taste masking things like cigarette smoking, etc. and we're all over the chart.

http://supertastertest.com/

I'm definitely at the high end of the supertaster testing, and I dont smoke, etc. A good friend of mine is the complete opposite. He has average taste buds and smokes frequently. Where he likes a little food with his salt, I prefer only the tiniest hint of salt, if at all.

My point is this: careful what you put in there. We try to take our personal preferences out, but if it tastes (to me) like a salt lick, expect that I'll slam you and my friend wont notice it at all.

Unread 04-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
New Pal Frank
Full Fledged Farker

You have a PM
Husband & Wife Team (so far)

Hug Hogs Competition BBQ Team
New Palestine IN
New Pal Frank is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Balls Casten
is one Smokin' Farker

I dont know how many of you saw the Kingsford Invitational. But as you listen to the judges comments one judge thought an entry was their favorite and one thought it was the worst. So it even happens with knowledable people/judges.

Also if you listen, two judges cut up one burnt end entry called it a train wreck. You can argue weather the teams were the "best of the best" as they were billed but I dont think you can argue the teams know what to put in a box and what to leave out.

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:05 AM   #13
ibrisky
Knows what a fatty is.

Some very good comments above, now you know why you hear folks say some luck is involved. We are all trying to find the perfect balance to appeal to several different pallets.....the teams at the top do it more often than not.

Don't Burn The Day Away.....
ibrisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #14
MikeJ65
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Judges are not supposed to judge based on their tastes and preferences,
I disagree with this statement. Taste is totally subjective and is by definition based on the judges own tastes. You are taught to not judge on expectations or based what is not in the box, but I have never heard that the taste score should be anything other than how appealing the sample tastes to you.

While sometimes you just have to chalk this up to luck of the draw, I think you will see more variation in your scores if you venture further from 'neutral' flavors. A highly smoked rib might get 9's from a couple of judges who love smoke flavor and 6's from those who don't. The same applies for heat and unique flavors you might be using. What makes one judge say 'wow' might have the next judge spitting it out.

Tenderness does have a standard and should be more consistent but that is not always the case. You often see taste and tenderness scores correlating fairly closely.

Unread 04-08-2013, 09:50 AM   #15
mobow
is one Smokin' Farker

There is also a tendency for a cook to think the 999 score comes from a better/more accurate judge than the 865 score judge. This is not always the case. Keith

Thanks from: --->