going to Cary, NC

energyzer

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm heading out to Cary, NC for training for my new job the week of April 15th-19th. Anything out there that you would suggest visiting? Any good restaurants that you would suggest?

Last edited:
The Cat's Cradle is one of the best small rock clubs in the country. On Sun. the 14th a great old-school soul singer named Charles Bradley will be there. There are other good acts through the week. $30 will buy you a show and a couple cool ones if you like that kind of thing

Wow, all I've got to say is Cary, NC must be a pretty boring, dead place...:confused:

Hey Energyzer,

On the contrary, Cary is actually a pretty nice (albeit not the most "happening"...) place in-and-of itself. As I'm sure you're probably aware, Cary is actually a suburb of Raleigh, and is considered part of the Raleigh-Durham metropolitan area. So, while there may not be a lot to do in Cary itself, you're a stone's throw away from any of the goings on in the Triangle. Here are just a few suggestions...

In downtown Raleigh, check out the "museum quadrangle" with the NC History Museum, the NC Art Museum, the NC Natural Sciences Museumm and the Children's Museum all within a stone's throw from the capital building. The capital itself is also kinda neat, as are the 150+ year-old churches flanking it. The NC Fallen Firefighter's Memorial is worth a look - very moving, and very unique. There are any number of great restaurants downtown, but some favorites include Sitti (Lebanese/Middle Eastern), Raleigh Times Bar & Grill, the Oxford (Gastropub), and (of course...) The Pit - which has SURPRISINGLY GOOD and authentic Eastern Carolina 'cue despite the "fancy puttings on" of the restaurant itself.

There's tons of shopping options within a 20 minute drive of Cary - pretty much all of the major malls in the Triangle have undergone recent renovation and cater to a more "upscale" clientele. For entertainment in the evenings, check out Goodnight's Comedy Club, the NC Symphony, the Galaxy Cinema (art films/independant) or any of the plethora of local bars and coffeehouses that host live music.

Unfortunately, the Carolina Hurricanes will be out-of-town during your stay, but if you're a sports fan, you're 30-ish minutes from two minor league teams, the Zebulon Mudcats and the Durham Bulls. Cary is also less than 45 minutes drive from Duke University, NC State University, and the University of NC at Chapel Hill - so visits to, or events at, any of those institutions would be feasilble.

Finally, one of my favorite restaurants in the Triangle - An Cuisines (upscale Asian Fusion) - is in Cary. DEFINITELY worth a try if you have time.

Enjoy your trip. Safe travels! :mrgreen:

I'm in the area about every two-three weeks. I always go to the Original Q-Shack on University in Durham (not to be confused with the other Q-Shack chains that are not owned by the same people). On Wednesday, they have Blue Grass from 6:30-8:30 with Leroy Savage's band. It can be crowded the first hour, but then clears. This is Texas-style BBQ. Order brisket and ribs. I love their spinach as a side.

http://www.theqshackoriginal.com/

For other music, I really enjoy the Blue Note Grill

http://www.thebluenotegrill.com/

I usually get ribs and beer. Monday is jazz and Tuesday is blues (both open mic). On that Thursday is one of my favorite bands, Carolina Lightnin' (if you enjoy Bluegrass). They do a few instrumentals:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DIPevdjzgQ"]Shuckin' The Corn - YouTube[/ame]

For other food, I really enjoy Bergama in Durham for Turkish (I love their Borek -- go hungry):

http://www.bergamacafe.com/

Many other places including The Lantern in Chapel Hill and The Angus Barn, not too far from Cary in Raleigh. Also, there is The Pit in downtown Raleigh for upscale NC-style BBQ.

Also in Cary is the "Bavarian Brathaus" for good authentic German cuisine.
As far as "barbecue", I'd suggest both "The Pit" AND "Clyde Cooper's" in downtown Raleigh (actually on the same street only a couple blocks from each other). This will give you a sense of both the "old style" North Carolina "Eastern" barbecue (at Clyde Coopers) as well as the "new style - upscale" barbecue (which you WILL pay for!!!) at The Pit.

Cary is also the home to "Danny's Bar-B-Que" and "Dickey's Barbecue Pit", but I'd stay away from them unless you just need a quick fix (definitely NOT quality NC Q!!!)!

The "BEST" barbecue in the area (IMHO) is at "Allen & Sons Barbecue" about 25 miles west of Cary on Hwy 86 (not far off of I-40) heading to Hillsborough.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up liking/disliking etc.

Also in Cary is the "Bavarian Brathaus" for good authentic German cuisine.
As far as "barbecue", I'd suggest both "The Pit" AND "Clyde Cooper's" in downtown Raleigh (actually on the same street only a couple blocks from each other). This will give you a sense of both the "old style" North Carolina "Eastern" barbecue (at Clyde Coopers) as well as the "new style - upscale" barbecue (which you WILL pay for!!!) at The Pit.

Cary is also the home to "Danny's Bar-B-Que" and "Dickey's Barbecue Pit", but I'd stay away from them unless you just need a quick fix (definitely NOT quality NC Q!!!)!

The "BEST" barbecue in the area (IMHO) is at "Allen & Sons Barbecue" about 25 miles west of Cary on Hwy 86 (not far off of I-40) heading to Hillsborough.

Good luck and let us know what you ended up liking/disliking etc.

Thanks Tom,
I should also note to check the hours! While I've heard nothing but great things about Clyde's, they do close early. I also got burned driving out to Allen & Sons one day and found them closed. While the Pit is more expensive, it is great for a business dinner. They have a great beer menu and ambiance is nice in the old warehouse. I love German food, and will keep Bavarian Brathaus in mind. :thumb:

Thanks Tom,
I should also note to check the hours! While I've heard nothing but great things about Clyde's, they do close early. I also got burned driving out to Allen & Sons one day and found them closed. While the Pit is more expensive, it is great for a business dinner. They have a great beer menu and ambiance is nice in the old warehouse. I love German food, and will keep Bavarian Brathaus in mind. :thumb:

Not sure about Clyde's as I only hit them at lunch time, but Allen & Sons closes every day when they sell out. That might be 1:00 in the afternoon or 8:00 at night (usually earlier!!!). Best to call to get an idea before heading toward Hillsborough.

The Pit has been really good, but EXPENSIVE ever since it opened. I haven't been there since Ed Mitchell left, so I can't comment on the current quality. Ed was going to open a new Barbecue Turkey (partnering with Butterball) restaurant somewhere around Garner (I thought), but I've not heard ANYTHING about him since last year.

There is a Bavarian Brathaus in Durham also, with great food, but kinda expensive too.

Clyde's closes at 6:00pm. I recall it was around 6:00pm when I stopped by Allen & Sons and I actually had trouble finding the place because they were all closed up and it was dark. Have no idea when they actually closed, but it must've been a long time before. The Pit is open late. For BBQ it is expensive, but for a dinner at a restaurant of this sort, it is not. I have not been in over a year.

http://www.thepit-raleigh.com/

Well Tom, unfortunately the Bavarian Brathaus in Cary closed in late fall of 2011. It's a shame...I really enjoyed that place.

Good call on Allen & Sons! Haven't been to Clyde Cooper's, but may have to check it out on my next weekend excursion to the Triangle. And, for what it's worth, I agree that The Pit is definitely more costly than what you'll pay at a lot of other BBQ shacks, but it's still not bad for the upscale atmosphere, service, etc. Last ate there about two months ago and the food was still fantastic. Try the BBQ Fries!!

Well Tom, unfortunately the Bavarian Brathaus in Cary closed in late fall of 2011. It's a shame...I really enjoyed that place.

Sorry to hear that the Cary location closed! The one in Durham is still there (as of last week when I went to SAM's across the street from it). After having lived in Germany in the military it truly brings back memories whenever I dine there!

There have been numerous other Q-joints open and close in the Raleigh area, but most are just marginal at best in quality.
There is a "Smithfield's Chicken & Barbecue" on Davis Drive in Morrisville which isn't too far from Cary. Smithfield's is a chain with numerous locations throughout eastern NC. Q is made on electric cookers (I believe) so don't expect ANY smoke flavor at all! Still, it is pretty good and has that great eastern carolina style vinegar twang and red pepper bite!

I pointed out that Carolina Lightnin' is playing at the Blue Note on the Thursday you're in town. Rick Lafleur (the banjo player) also is the banjo player for The Grass Cats. The Grass Cats have had the #1 blue grass song for the last two months (on an independent label). I heard they had the most played song on Satellite radio a few months back.

http://www.grasscats.com/index.html

Hit Allen and Son tonight for supper. Thanks for the suggestion! That was some good eatin'! Very much worth the drive! I think I'm going to try Clyde's tomorrow night!

Just remember Cooper's closes at 6PM everyday and are closed on Sundays.

You should really go if you have the chance. They just celebrated 75 years in downtown Raleigh but won't be in their current location for long as a developer bought the building they are in.

Here is a great article about the place. Even mentions a guy who is 92 and has eaten there one a week since they opened 75 years ago except for the 3 years he served in WWII!

Yep, saw that they close at 6. I should have a good shot at making it there by then. If not, I'll try the original Q Shack.

Just remember Cooper's closes at 6PM everyday and are closed on Sundays.

You should really go if you have the chance. They just celebrated 75 years in downtown Raleigh but won't be in their current location for long as a developer bought the building they are in.

Here is a great article about the place. Even mentions a guy who is 92 and has eaten there one a week since they opened 75 years ago except for the 3 years he served in WWII!

Thanks! Sounds like I better leave work early one day and finally get there -- or go for lunch.... :rolleyes:

just returned from Clydes......WOW, that was some good stuff!! I like how the waiter wrote the ticket......."pig and tea". Doesn't get any simpler than that! Aside from the excellent BBQ, the sweet tea was the best I've ever had! Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:
Back